Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Fender American Performer series?

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2331
edited November 2018 in Guitar

The new name for the erstwhile American Specials, different pickups seem to be the only difference.

And, as usual, available in stores before they are announced by the big F - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-American-Performer-Stratocaster-HSS-Satin-Surf-Green-Maple-NEW/312346075034?hash=item48b946df9a:g:RSkAAOSwujJcAS23

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 610
    edited November 2018
    I have the 'old' American special in 'shiny' surf green. I don't like the satin look
  • rprrpr Frets: 308
    There's a whole bunch of them including Jazzmasters, mustangs n stuff - https://www.musicradar.com/news/fender-launches-american-performer-series-with-9-new-guitars-and-basses

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    The Jazzmaster is hideous! Why that trem??

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    rpr said:
    There's a whole bunch of them including Jazzmasters, mustangs n stuff - https://www.musicradar.com/news/fender-launches-american-performer-series-with-9-new-guitars-and-basses

They look great, some real functionality updates included rather than just rehashing the Highway One/Special range one more time. 

I can see the Jazzmaster shifting a few units with that spec. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    edited December 2018
    stonevibe said:
    The Jazzmaster is hideous! Why that trem??
    More range than the usual Jazzmaster/Jaguar trem? I agree it looks wrong but I suspect that it's an 'easier' trem for lots of folks.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Should be in the shops now! 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• Modern C necks - ergh!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    edited December 2018
    Mustang and teles look decent assuming these new pickups sound good!! But Strat trem on a JM??? And they had a lake placid blue one and everything....
  • Would quite like one of those Mustangs methinks. 
  • Modern C necks - ergh!!
    +1
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • The satin finishes are a backwards step. And I'd be surprised if the Strat's and Tele's could be significantly improved upon - the American Specials got so much right at their price point, which is probably why they have been 'improved' - I suspect they took away too much business from models higher up the range - I'd better get one of the Sherwood Green or Lake Placid Blue Tele's whilst I still can!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Oh dear
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yay! More Jazzmasters for people who don't like Jazzmasters.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Still confusing naming scheme but I suppose it's less confusing than the "American Special" being the least special of the American-made range
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I like that they have the slotted style tuners.

Also interesting that they've included a neck-on switch on the Strat but they've used a push-pull which I don't think is a great choice for a Strat style knob, kind of hard to grip. The S1 switch is so much better, or even a push-push to save money.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 761
    Mustang looks good.

Jazzmaster looks pants.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    edited December 2018
    thegummy said:
    Still confusing naming scheme but I suppose it's less confusing than the "American Special" being the least special of the American-made range
    It’s been changed to make more sense. The core ranges go like this:

Professional 
    Performer
    Player

a bit more representative of a guitar player’s journey. 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    If the prices I'm seeing are correct then these are overpriced in my opinion. As much as I'm all for the mustang, £999 for a watered down version of it with no case is bonkers imo.

£1049 for a fake Jazzmaster too, wow.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Gerz6558 said:
    If the prices I'm seeing are correct then these are overpriced in my opinion. As much as I'm all for the mustang, £999 for a watered down version of it with no case is bonkers imo.

£1049 for a fake Jazzmaster too, wow.
    Street prices might be lower - especially 6 months down the line when everyone has them in stock.

The Mustang bass fixes the major flaw with the Mexican made Mustang as it has a Jazz style control layout so you can blend the pickups together.  Not sure I want to pay that much extra for it though.
    crunchman said:

Street prices might be lower - especially 6 months down the line when everyone has them in stock.

The Mustang bass fixes the major flaw with the Mexican made Mustang as it has a Jazz style control layout so you can blend the pickups together.  Not sure I want to pay that much extra for it though.
    I hope you're right for the sake of people seriously interested.  I see the outgoing American Specials are in the £750-£850 range?  A few people stateside have claimed they are seeing an $100 increase on the incoming performer series, which probably does sit them towards a grand over here.  We'll have to wait and see.

Say what you want about Gibson, but they have been banging out stripped down versions of their range way under a grand for years.  I don't see why Fender have to mark these up so high if the early prices are correct.

I'd give the mustang a go, £700-£750 tops.