Forgot Gary played on this

What's Hot
I always remember Mark played on this, but the other guitar player ?

Ferry Aid 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_4W0wQFEyM

“Ken sent me.”
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    Very early PRS.  Be worth a bit now, even without the GM connection.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    That coat would be worth a bit now, especially with the beast from the east II on the way
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Gary invoking the spirit of Jeff Beck gawd love him 
  • I have no memory of this at all.. I think I spotted Linda Lusardi and Neville Staple in the choir among many others.  Curiosity Killed the Cat quite heavily featured for some reason and an appearance by Paul King so I can mention that I used to go out with his cousin.
    Gary doing a bit 'make a guitar noise here' so not his finest work perhaps.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2348
    I was 11 when this single was released and can still hum Gary’s & Knopfler’s solos note for note. I remember asking my big brother who they both were when the video first aired on TV. 
  • StefB said:
    I was 11 when this single was released and can still hum Gary’s & Knopfler’s solos note for note. I remember asking my big brother who they both were when the video first aired on TV. 
    I only googled ferry aid after hearing the x-factor murder let it be. I remember Mark's solo but could not remember the other player. Shocked when I saw Mr Moore.

it was a sad day when the ferry capsized
    “Ken sent me.”
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    If you want to hear Gary Moore with a more modern, processed sound and different style, listen to his excellent playing on Greg Lake's 1981 solo album. There were some heavyweight session guys on it but Moore took several of the solos.
    Kebabkid said:
    If you want to hear Gary Moore with a more modern, processed sound and different style, listen to his excellent playing on Greg Lake's 1981 solo album. There were some heavyweight session guys on it but Moore took several of the solos.
    Or try the Cozy Powell solo albums Tilt and. Over The Top 
  • I was around 15 when this was released but have no memory of it all. I remember the ferry disaster very well, but this song somehow passed me by.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Kebabkid said:
    I saw them on that tour at my uni - had a go on Greg Lakes 8-string Alembic too.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    sweepy said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Or try the Cozy Powell solo albums Tilt and. Over The Top 
    Tilt is one of the best albums ever.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
    tFB Trader
    Kebabkid said:
    I read an interview after this when Greg said all the solos etc were recorded off the hoof as such - No preparation  just listen and play

I can't recall GM ever using a PRS other than this track
  • I hadn't heard that before what a great GM solo!  If I didn't see the video I would have sworn Jeff Beck was playing it.  
    Gary used to do a very good Beck impression and borrowed heavily from his style over his career
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I really cringe at the 80s charity singles now, still if they earned money for a good cause they have to be seen as a good thing. This one has been up on Farcebook recently - Swedish Metal Aid. You have to smirk a bit at the hairstyles now.

• Could drop in here that Mr Moore was the guitarist (as a member of Colosseum II) on the Andrew Lloyd Webber Variations album (and, consequently, the South Bank Show theme tune). 

There was an unusually high number of disasters in the 1980s, wasn't there?
  • Best Northern Irish guitar player next to Vivian Campbell.