Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dealers commenting favourably on products they stock

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
edited December 2018 in Guitar
This may be a contentious subject, but I've seen several dealers commenting favourably on products they stock (sometimes exclusively) on here recently, and it's left a bad taste in my mouth. It seems disingenuous to me, or is it good marketing? Am I being over-sensitive, or is this bad form?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If I was a dealer i’d only stock things I thought were great so maybe there’s an honest reason?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • This isn’t exclusive to guitar dealers. This kind of thing goes on in any walk of life. I was proferring an ironic smile today in the Metrocentre Shopping Centre. A certain Mike Ashley promised to turn House of Fraser into “The Harrods of the North”. Curious then that the House of Fraser shop had “Closing Down Sale : 50% off” in the windows today. Nothing like keeping promises is there??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    This is why I don't bother watching those Andertons videos, although they do rank things occasionally.

I've tried enough gear to know what I like now, but it is frustrating when something like the Boss Katana comes out, as you do have to test it in person - Everyone that owns one, or sells one, isn't exactly going to fess up that it's shit. 

(I don't think the Katana is shit btw and I think it's solid for practice/rehearsals).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    Yes, if I was a dealer, I would only stock things that I think are shit.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    This may be a contentious subject, but I've seen several dealers commenting favourably on products they stock
    Isn't that their job, as salesmen?
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • No one selling anything in the classifieds here ever says the reason they’re selling something is because it’s rubbish. I’d expect any commercial enterprises that post here to be positive about the goods or services they sell.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    No one selling anything in the classifieds here ever says the reason they’re selling something is because it’s rubbish. I’d expect any commercial enterprises that post here to be positive about the goods or services they sell.
    It's weird everyone always sells the best guitar of that type they ever played. Especially when they even play like butter and smoke custom shops!
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No one selling anything in the classifieds here ever says the reason they’re selling something is because it’s rubbish. I’d expect any commercial enterprises that post here to be positive about the goods or services they sell.
    I have done on several occasions
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited December 2018
    What I'd advise is working out which other posters like similar things to you and pay attention to their opinions.

Same goes for YouTubers, even though some of the guys I'd check out might be making money from their demo I can still usually tell if I like it or not from their demo. 

Unless it's PGS Andy, in which case I'll like it regardless because he has some strange magic power.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    edited December 2018
    If I was a dealer i’d only stock things I thought were great so maybe there’s an honest reason?
    You not might have the choice if you look at the stocking requirements of most the big boys.

For example a new dealer stocking requirement from a well known amp company stated that you had to stock 3 of their bass amps; as a friend of mine who owns a shop pointed out: "we don't sell basses, so why should be stock bass amps?"!
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    Lebarque said:
    This may be a contentious subject, but I've seen several dealers commenting favourably on products they stock (sometimes exclusively) on here recently, and it's left a bad taste in my mouth. It seems disingenuous to me, or is it good marketing? Am I being over-sensitive, or is this bad form?

If the dealer is open about both the fact that they are a dealer and that they stock the item, then that's OK by me.

However, both those conditions should be met in my view.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Lebarque said:
    I've seen several dealers commenting favourably on products they stock (sometimes exclusively) on here
    In the words of Mandy Rice-Davies, "They would say that, wouldn't they?"

Schnozz said:
    Anderton's videos
    The Captain - amongst many others - always puts a positive spin on whatever he is promoting. If the best thing that can be said about a particular guitar or amplifier is that it represents excellent value for money as beginner gear, that is the aspect that is going to be emphasised above any other.

If I visit my local guitar shop and express even the remotest interest in any of the stock on display, the proprietor is - rightly -going to switch into salesman mode. He will encourage me to try the item and, ideally, purchase it IMMEDIATELY. 

Them's the rules of this particular game.

Be seeing you.
  • Lebarque said:
    I get what you are saying.  For example that chap over at Richards' Guitars... he's a classic case of this, bleating on that that the Eastman les paul is the best think since round wheels, and then the Godin was the best thing since yorkshire puddings. etc.  They can't all be the best.  It's just sales and marketing spin to get people interested. What you need to do is sit back, slip on a Barry White record, kick of your shoes and relax man.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    edited December 2018
    To me, there's a difference between class acts, like @guitars4you, who are ever-helpful on a range of subjects and really contribute positively towards the forum, and others, 95% of whose posts are bigging up products they sell as if they've deliberately searched for them and are using the forum as a marketing tool. I don't blame them, just don't enjoy reading it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    tFB Trader
    Naturally we would say that the guitars we make are pretty much top grade stuff...and there are many that would agree having played them. 
    Are they for everyone? Nope - some people need the G or the F or whatever on the headstock, some must have nitro finish and some want it a way other than how we do it, but we certainly aim to be brilliant at what WE do .
    And we do choose to stock things we really really like and feel make a difference. 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    No one selling anything in the classifieds here ever says the reason they’re selling something is because it’s rubbish. I’d expect any commercial enterprises that post here to be positive about the goods or services they sell.
    I just traded an Epiphone JB Firebird in at a dealer for a big loss, because I didn't think it was very good. 

It wasn't faulty, it was just a bit disappointing. I didn't rip them off, I just couldn't have bigged it up and sold it on here with a clear conscience.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Personally I think it’s fine - it’s the opposite I don’t like - when a dealer/maker rubbishes something they don’t stock/make because they don’t stock/make it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Personally I think it’s fine - it’s the opposite I don’t like - when a dealer/maker rubbishes something they don’t stock/make because they don’t stock/make it
    We do see a fair bit of that on here too. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I like to make up my own mind.
    My brain just switches off when I hear hype.
    (And hasn't switched back on since).
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    I have done on several occasions
    This is true to the point he even refused to sell me an amp as he felt it was too rubbish!