Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your favourite Tele pickups?

What's Hot

Comments

• susbemolsusbemol Frets: 395
    The Texas Specials that came in my Tele sound superb, provided their height is set on the low side.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    SD quarter pounder ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oil city alligator 90. 
    Grunt & power when you want it, but retaining tele twang too. Bloody brilliant. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Fender Nocaster pair.
    Seymour Duncan Custom Shop '53 Tapped Tele Lead model.
    Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Pearly Gates for Telecaster.
    Seymour Duncan SHR-T1N Hot Rails.

Oil City Pickups Winterizer in the neck/Rhythm position would be interesting.
    Be seeing you.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I have 2 Telecasters. One has a stock neck pickup with a SD quarter pounder in the bridge, and the other has a SD phat cat in the neck with a hot rails in the bridge.
  • I have a Baja, so twisted Tele in the neck and broadcaster in the bridge. I really like the strat-like qualities of the neck pup, just never been convinced about the bridge... would prefer something with a bit more beef but not too much to overshadow the fact that it is a Tele after all 
  • I have a Baja, so twisted Tele in the neck and broadcaster in the bridge. I really like the strat-like qualities of the neck pup, just never been convinced about the bridge... would prefer something with a bit more beef but not too much to overshadow the fact that it is a Tele after all 
    Would it be worth having the same set but opposite, do you think that'd work? I always imagined that if I ever bought a Custom Shop Tele, that'd be the combo I'd choose but the TT would be in the bridge and BC in the neck.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • If anyone has a Lollar Vintage neck or Nocaster neck for sale let me know.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I have a Baja, so twisted Tele in the neck and broadcaster in the bridge. I really like the strat-like qualities of the neck pup, just never been convinced about the bridge... would prefer something with a bit more beef but not too much to overshadow the fact that it is a Tele after all 
    SD Quarter Pounder is your boy - beef but is still a tele - My MIM standard has one at the bridge stock PUP at the neck it really sounds great. My eldest son bought a baja and loves it but feels a qp would just add more - and as we all know more is more ;)
  • I'll throw my hat in for Rumpelstiltskins, Black ropes. It depends what you like - Bright twangy Chickinpickin Alnico 5, 6-7k 42 wire.

Or do you like An early Broadcaster Alnico 3 10-11.5K 43 wire with grunt, grit added warmth, More midrange and less ice pick highs, Fatter but not so glassy cleans? I'm an Alnico 3 broadcaster kindda guy. The yardbirds are Alnico 4 and some people like an alnico 2 in the neck? Have a rough idea what is your 'sound' Or what sound you'd like to achieve and take a punt!

• I love the Dimarzio Twang King in the neck of mine. I find it similar to the Twisted Tele, but still retains a bit more Tele character rather than leaning towards the strat style that the Twisted has.

I also love the Texas Special in the bridge, some might find it a bit to loud but I love it. Rude, in your face but still ultimately Tele. Cleans up really nicely with the volume too.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    what is the best single coil for bridge that isn't shrill and spiky.......I sometimes wince when I flick that selector
    what is nice and smooth/mellow but still a bit twangy for country tones
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    Have a Rocketfire T with his BB50's pickups, and they are amazing. Neck in particular is definitely the best I have tried. Was very happy with Fralin Blues Specials in a couple of Tele's in the past also.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    tFB Trader
    Dominic said:
    what is the best single coil for bridge that isn't shrill and spiky.......I sometimes wince when I flick that selector
    Any one modelled after the very early Tele pickups that used 43awg wire and alnico 3 magnets ... to my mind the best Tele tones out there.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited December 2018
    BKP Boss is my current favourite. I loved the Brown Sugars I had before that too, but the Bosses have a smidge more "oomph". I often go a few weeks without playing my Tele but the Bosses make me grin every time I pick it up, without fail.

Also +1 for Bardens. They're much more "hi-fi" than a regular Tele pickup, but a great sound and really good for gigging - plenty of top end and completely noiseless. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Dominic said:
    BKP Country Boy or Monty Retro Wind bridge. Both low output A3. Settled on these two after trying many. No harshness, shrill or ice pick, but still sounds like a tele bridge should sound when you dig in.
  • Dominic said:
    The SD Broadcaster does this perfectly.  I've had one in the bridge position of my MIJ 50's Tele for the past 20 years, and haven't felt the need to upgrade it ever since.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 448
    The Bulldogs in my Crinson Tele were pretty bloody special ... @Haydn should be able to sort you out 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    What's the countriest of country twang for a tele?
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    Ignoring all the hype, 2 year wait lists and over inflated resellers I love my Ron Ellis' pickups, as favoured by David Grissom, Kirk Fletcher, Rick Holmstrom, Julian Lage and countless others. Just great vintage authentic Tele tones with clarity and great note-string seperation. They seems to maintain that acoustic like quality that allows the guitars true character to shine through.....TWANG.