Jam organisation

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I feel like child who's parents keep arguing.

And we've booked a holiday.  :'(
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    munckee said:
    "Ultimately though, if the jams are going to continue on a formal level - or "official" - then the community (including the Admins as a whole) all need to agree on exactly what it is going to do, how it's going to do it, and understand exactly what is expected of newcomers, experienced players, organisers, the admin team, and anyone else involved. As it stands, I've learned the hard way that one person can't do this - I can't set direction, decide on outcomes, organise, carry the can, and keep everyone happy. I thought I could, but nobody can - too hard."

Orrrr,

We could all see that the jams are arranged by people for nothing out of the goodness of their heart for people who play instruments to do it together.  People could get off their high horse about where their money goes and stay out of it if they don't want to help with the organisation.

People like me who just turn up have fun and go home happy should maybe pitch in more with the organisation and we should have a shabby round the edges, amateur, pirate radio type feel to the days where we all pitch up and if if it all goes wrong we sit in the car park and play acoustics or go to the pub.

If that doesn't feel like fun to people they don't have to sign up.

If only....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    If there is a refund going may I have one please.
    Admittedly I neither paid nor went but worth a crack.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    edited December 2018
    Fuengi said:

And we've booked a holiday. 
    Has the holiday been paid for tho’?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    poopot said:
    Fuengi said:

And we've booked a holiday. 
    Has the holiday been paid for tho’?
    And are we there yet?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    @Bridgehouse , Sorry to read this but totally understand that the end result not being enjoyable is not worth the added aggravation and I hope that after Sasquatch you’ll be able to attend a jam and be able to fully enjoy it in the way the vast majority of participants do . 

Just as an aside I was planning my rest weekends with the wife when Sasquatch weekend came up .. 

“is that when you’re going up North to see your GUITAR FRIENDS “ says Mrs sticker 

“yes ..., yes it is “ says I 

looking forward to to catching up with everyone and those who PM negative shit about the Jams .... just fuck off eh?.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    edited December 2018
    sticker said:
    @Bridgehouse , Sorry to read this but totally understand that the end result not being enjoyable is not worth the added aggravation and I hope that after Sasquatch you’ll be able to attend a jam and be able to fully enjoy it in the way the vast majority of participants do . 

Just as an aside I was planning my rest weekends with the wife when Sasquatch weekend came up .. 

“is that when you’re going up North to see your GUITAR FRIENDS “ says Mrs sticker 

looking forward to to catching up with everyone and those who PM negative shit about the Jams .... just fuck off eh?.
    Were you too embarrassed to tell her there would be bassists there as well
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Ack the shame of being a bass player ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Missus munckee says "are you talking to the fret boys?"  Makes me feel a bit dirty if I'm honest!
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    edited December 2018
    mrkb said:
    sticker said:

Were you too embarrassed to tell her there would be bassists there as well
    She doesn’t know the difference! 

I thought better of mentioning Drummers though ... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Yeah, you don't want to worry her about the company you're keeping
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    Some of you might remember that I pulled out of attending jams to run my own band. I am eternally grateful to @Bridgehouse and @TTony for arranging the jams. There's a full list of all the people I am grateful to on another thread.

I attended two jams and they gave me the confidence to start a band 14 years after the last one. I had been kicked out of a band in 2013 which wasn't pleasant. 

The idea is to give people with little confidence the chance to play. So I felt the need to move on. 

So we are two rehearsals in and IMHO it's going well with another Saturday. This is where its relevant on the thread I have known the other three musicians from between 1985 and 2002. I've been in bands with all of them separately they all play more than one instrument so so know about space and the concept of other people. They never complain about anything and get on well with each other.

Why is this relevant? It's really hard work. I struggle to enjoy playing as I'm responsible.

So @Bridgehouse I suggest you take a sabbatical from leadership play the crap out of the 64 and see house how you feel in 2020. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671
    Ack the shame of being a bass player ;)
    I turned up early to an acoustic open mic. night to play with the band I was in at the time (IIRC we were the "featured act").

The lady behind the bar saw the gig bag and asked me if I was playing later. "yes" I replied, "I'm playing bass".

"well it's nice that you're joining in" she said as she wandered off.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Deleted some flat-out character assassination.

As you were.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    munckee said:
    "Ultimately though, if the jams are going to continue on a formal level - or "official" - then the community (including the Admins as a whole) all need to agree on exactly what it is going to do, how it's going to do it, and understand exactly what is expected of newcomers, experienced players, organisers, the admin team, and anyone else involved. As it stands, I've learned the hard way that one person can't do this - I can't set direction, decide on outcomes, organise, carry the can, and keep everyone happy. I thought I could, but nobody can - too hard."

Orrrr,

We could all see that the jams are arranged by people for nothing out of the goodness of their heart for people who play instruments to do it together.  People could get off their high horse about where their money goes and stay out of it if they don't want to help with the organisation.

People like me who just turn up have fun and go home happy should maybe pitch in more with the organisation and we should have a shabby round the edges, amateur, pirate radio type feel to the days where we all pitch up and if if it all goes wrong we sit in the car park and play acoustics or go to the pub.

If that doesn't feel like fun to people they don't have to sign up.

Pretty much, I am going with this too.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom