Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dealer/sales rep 'Facts' you've been told

What's Hot
teradaterada Frets: 5113
edited December 2018 in Guitar
I returned my Deluxe reverb as it was very noisy and the cabinet rattled badly on the low E between open and the 5th fret.

Shop took it back but the rep - I kid you not - told me the following

'Yeah, they actually add cabinet rattle and the swooshing noise in to make them more vintage correct, some people don't like it but they are meant to be like that'

Just had to smile and nod, smile and nod. 

14reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• He’s pulling your leg!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Priceless...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 611
    Come on guys............do you know how many hours it takes to engineer a vintage rattle into a thing like that & captivating wind into a confined space to make that sort of noise is tough ...you should be applauding the Fender R&D dept.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616

Back when I was a lad and my parents had just bought me my first amp (a Peavey Envoy 110) it developed a fault with the reverb, if the reverb was even remotely on it would make an awful noise if you only looked at it.

We took it back to the shop and the sales rep said "it'll do that if you have any mirrors in the same room as the amp". 

At the time I had a massive full length mirror in my bedroom so it did make me double take a bit but we had the amp replaced all the same - funny that the replacement amp didn't mind the mirror being in the room????

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

10reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Haych said:

Back when I was a lad and my parents had just bought me my first amp (a Peavey Envoy 110) it developed a fault with the reverb, if the reverb was even remotely on it would make an awful noise if you only looked at it.

We took it back to the shop and the sales rep said "it'll do that if you have any mirrors in the same room as the amp". 

At the time I had a massive full length mirror in my bedroom so it did make me double take a bit but we had the amp replaced all the same - funny that the replacement amp didn't mind the mirror being in the room????

Priceless. So glad we have the internet these days (enough BS on there too though), I'm sure the amount of BS I was told as a beginner by guitar shop staff could choke a whale
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I for one shan't be buying any vintage amps unless they come with cabinet rattle and swooshing noises.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Some kid in a shop once told me that gibson branded polish doesn't work as well on fenders.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    edited December 2018

Unsure if specific bullshit, but on 3 other guitars my high e string has never slipped through a tuner hole, ever, and I've never had to use any locking or wrapping methods. 

£50 + parts on an own brand guitar, of which Andertons could use their professional relationship with Grover to atleast help a customer out to replace the one tuner under a lifetime warranty, is bullshit though. 

I'd happily pay the labour of fitting it of course.

But, though I've never had this problem before over 15 years and approx 7 guitars, I'm open to the collective widsom and mileage of thefretboard to brand this Bullshit or Not Bullshit. Lol. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When I bought a Gretsch Streamliner a year or so ago I couldn't get it to stay in tune. 
    I returned it for a set up to sort it, suggesting the felt like it was sticking... It didn't work, so I took it back in & was told. 

"You'll never get a guitar with a bigsby to stay in tune on a budget model, it's just the price you pay for that design". 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    skunkwerx said:

Unsure if specific bullshit, but on 3 other guitars my high e string has never slipped through a tuner hole, ever, and I've never had to use any locking or wrapping methods. 

£50 + parts on an own brand guitar, of which Andertons could use their professional relationship with Grover to atleast help a customer out to replace the one tuner under a lifetime warranty, is bullshit though. 

But, though I've never had this problem before over 15 years and approx 7 guitars, I'm open to the collective widsom and mileage of thefretboard to brand this Bullshit or Not Bullshit. Lol. 
    Thats never happened to any guitar I've ever messed with.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    Haych said:

I emailed a guitar tech when I was first thinking about modding and asked if you could just change bodies and necks, the chap emailed back saying "it's not possible as no two would match, otherwise there would be loads of 'partscasters' which there aren't"....
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    "It's still with the tech, it'll be back tomorrow".

Make up your own back story, there are a thousand of them.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Some good ones here.
  • munckee said:
    skunkwerx said:

Thats never happened to any guitar I've ever messed with.
    LOLOLOLOL....what an email....you'd think they'd be a little more careful with what they email to customers. 
  • munckee said:
    I emailed a guitar tech when I was first thinking about modding and asked if you could just change bodies and necks, the chap emailed back saying "it's not possible as no two would match, otherwise there would be loads of 'partscasters' which there aren't"....
    Lol. :) Wasn't the point of Fender's bolt-on neck so it could be replaced with a new one when the frets wore out?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    terada said:
    I returned my Deluxe reverb as it was very noisy and the cabinet rattled badly on the low E between open and the 5th fret.

Shop took it back but the rep - I kid you not - told me the following

'Yeah, they actually add cabinet rattle and the swooshing noise in to make them more vintage correct, some people don't like it but they are meant to be like that'

Just had to smile and nod, smile and nod. 

You should have went "really? let's hear another one of the same model then"
    skunkwerx said:

£50 quid an hour to unscrew a tuner and screw in another one!?

1) I'm in the wrong line of work

2) They better only charge you 2 quid or the "tech" is incompetent, deliberately slow or lying about how long it took.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    When I was buying my first guitar after getting properly in to playing as an adult, I emailed a shop that stocked the model I wanted and asked if they do a free set up. They replied saying yes they do and are the only place in the city who do so.

So I went in and bought it and the salesman looked at the guitar and said that it doesn't actually need a setup, it's been done so well in the factory.

I had to just believe him really because I didn't know anything about how a guitar should feel or play or look so took it home.

It was only after playing for months that I found it did need a setup and, crucially, it needed the nut filed as part of that - something that isn't down to personal preference so can't be excused for that reason.

Can't say if the salesman was just ignorant and genuinely thought it didn't need one or if he lied and possibly got extra commission by avoiding the free setup. Either way it cost me 70 quid.
  • skunkwerx said:

Fucking hell that's poor.
  • I remember once I went into a music shop in Brum that I won't name, but who had a name which suggests their deals would be fair. I'll call them DareFeel for ease. The aim of my visit was to ask about the Champ 600 amp that I knew they'd had in for ages, could I try it, could we try to work a deal if I liked it as it's been there for at least 2 years. I asked, the chap said:

"I wouldn't bother if I were you, these amps over here are exactly the same but better made, with better features, and look nicer. Cheaper too" whilst pointing towards a Blackstar HT1R.

"Erm, really? Are they really based off the same circuit? It's specifically a Fender Champ based amp I want to try, I thought these were 1 watt rock based amps".

"Oh yes, it's a Champ absolutely, but with more features".

Yeah, it wasn't.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom