Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What frying pan

What's Hot
We have a nice pan bought in Aldi, quite heavy a with a sturdy brass coloured handle and non stick that worked for ages. I looked after it well but it's recently suffered some abuse and needs to be replaced.

Should I get a JML copper stone from the local discount store, or a Tefal overpriced thing but on sale somewhere, or is there a good quality and not too expensive option that you swear by?

I like things simple. Heavy duty, solid handle, non stick, but no need for heat sensors, kids, detachable handles, etc.

I'll be cooking on a gas hob.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    I have an Anolon, been going strong for fifteen years and still fine. Not cheap but certainly not mad pricey. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Sporky said:
    I have an Anolon, been going strong for fifteen years and still fine. Not cheap but certainly not mad pricey. 
    I have analon too plus one old but expensive cast iron. The iron one is great for me but my wife can't lift it. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    There is a school of thought that says all these fancy none stick chemicles are eventually absorbed into our bodies. Cast iron and season it is the solution according to some. 
    You need to do a spot of research.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    Mumsnet Alert
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Dominic said:
    Mumsnet Alert
    Beat me to it ;)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    ESBlonde said:
    There is a school of thought that says all these fancy none stick chemicles are eventually absorbed into our bodies. 

There are many schools, some more thoughtful than others. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My experience with the stone/green pan types is that they are absolutely non stick.
    For three months.
    Then they become "all stick".
    Ina an excrement/bedding fashion.
    Avoid like a dodgy chinese tele...

The heavier Tefals work very well and last an age.  I hate to say it, but the Jamie Oliver versions really are about the best price/performance balance.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I have Eaziglide pans which are marketed on having the most durable non stick coating and despite dishwashing them regularly they've lasted pretty well.

• Buy Tefal when there is a sale on.

• Cheap ones from ikea perform as well and last longer than the fancier ones we’ve had. 

(or so Mrs DJ tells me, I’m more into power tools and big hammers grrrr) ;-)

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    I bought a pan from Asda last year, I can't recall the brand...  neverstick or something like that, that had a lifetime guarantee that it would never lose its 'non-stickyness'.  I knew perfectly well when I bought it that that was bollocks and it was just a question of time, so I kept the wrapping and receipt (and photographed it too) as when it fails, I'll just get it replaced - for evermore.  I never put it in the dishwasher and limit the amount of detergent it gets exposed to as well, but it's going to fail - I'll give it another 12-24 months tops.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    You're ingesting tiny particles of aluminium and/or perfluorooctanoic acid from teflon or other non stick pans. If you don't fancy Alzheimers when there are clear and affordable Ceramic alternatives, then more fool you, that's all I'm saying.

We cook with "Greenpan" ceramic pans. They're healthy and good quality.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    Whatever you do, leave it a couple of weeks, unless you have already done all your Christmas shopping.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Mrs Oct bought some Le Creuset ones.
    They are pretty good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I use a Le Creuset cast iron pan and a stainless steel wok since discovering that my last non-stick pan was shedding its coating while I was cooking a white sauce (what's this black stuff?? I didn't add pepper!). What do you cook? That should affect your decision of what to get. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3360
    Cast iron every time. Our Le Creuset raised its centre and no longer sat flat on the hob but I have heard very good things about Lodge pans. I wont buy another Teflon coated pan either and Im not too fussed on Copper, two substances I dont want to be consuming daily.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lodge-30-48-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet-Frying/dp/B00006JSUB/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543991435&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=lodge+fryinjhg+pan

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • GuyR said:
    Whatever you do, leave it a couple of weeks, unless you have already done all your Christmas shopping.
    I infer from your comment that you're going to buy me one for Xmas. Thanks!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • People are periodically photographing frying pans? For reference later?  Jesus most weeks I can barely remember to put the bins out. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    edited December 2018
    People are periodically photographing frying pans? For reference later?  Jesus most weeks I can barely remember to put the bins out. 
    "Fear not my child. Paul who i call Peter or Peter I call Paul , will put them out for you".