Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dealers commenting favourably on products they stock

What's Hot

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    edited December 2018
    munckee said:
    No one selling anything in the classifieds here ever says the reason they’re selling something is because it’s rubbish. I’d expect any commercial enterprises that post here to be positive about the goods or services they sell.
    It's weird everyone always sells the best guitar of that type they ever played. Especially when they even play like butter and smoke custom shops!
    And just to seal it they often add: “and all my mates agree”!  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    I don't mind what folk say as long as any commercial interest is declared, then you can decide for yourself whether you are reading honest advice or salesman patter.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    fftc said:
    I don't mind what folk say as long as any commercial interest is declared, then you can decide for yourself whether you are reading honest advice or salesman patter.

That's the thing though. Commercial interest is often not declared.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Lebarque said:
    fftc said:

You rarely hear "the captain" saying "oof that just sounds and feels amazing for its price point - of course, I am only saying that because I want to sell you it"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    thegummy said:
    Lebarque said:
    fftc said:

You rarely hear "the captain" saying "oof that just sounds and feels amazing for its price point - of course, I am only saying that because I want to sell you it"
    It's pretty obvious if you are watching an Andertons video though, isn't it?

I took the OP to mean on this forum where identities can be far better hidden.
    ^ Yep, correct. I'm talking about on Fretboard forum only.
    fftc said:
    thegummy said:
    Lebarque said:
    fftc said:

It's pretty obvious if you are watching an Andertons video though, isn't it?

I took the OP to mean on this forum where identities can be far better hidden.
    My comment was tongue-in-cheek but, as much as it's obvious to us, I would imagine quite a lot of their large viewer base trust what they say in the videos to be genuine, honest advice and opinion and not just glorified sales pitch.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I don't have a problem with it as long as it's a clear it's a dealer who's posting. I don't think it's on when a dealer slags off other products, but promoting them is fine IMHO. 

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    Lebarque said:
    fftc said:

Lebarque said:

What is the problem? Forget the cryptic shit. If you’ve got an issue with someone say it to them/us/the admin as appropriate.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Iamnobody said:
    Lebarque said:
    fftc said:

Lebarque said:

What is the problem? Forget the cryptic shit. If you’ve got an issue with someone say it to them/us/the admin as appropriate.
    That's a bit confrontational, maybe it's not about one specific person in, it's just in general?
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited December 2018
    thegummy said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Lebarque said:
    fftc said:

Lebarque said:

That's a bit confrontational, maybe it's not about one specific person in, it's just in general?
    Apologies for my direct approach but in my opinion the OP is going round the houses and has nothing to offer by way of a real explanation to the point he’s trying to get across. 

I’m not being confrontational - I  just can’t be bothered to guess what this post is actually about and would rather be told. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited December 2018
    I'm selling my Calvin Klein ...coz they're pants
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    No one selling anything in the classifieds here ever says the reason they’re selling something is because it’s rubbish. I’d expect any commercial enterprises that post here to be positive about the goods or services they sell.
    Well, there's someone on BC who just sold a bass by saying it was rubbish!
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Feel like i should get out from my hiding place and pipe up here...

one of the golden rules of business is to never slag off a competitor cos quite frankly, it makes you look like a knob. Should just concentrate on your own game and not worry about what other businesses do. 

saying that, I’ve not seen any businesses on here recently promoting their own products/services other than what’s posted in the “made in the UK” section, or the odd clear out post in the parts for sale section. Nor any businesses slagging off another business over what they do or don’t stock. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • saying that, I’ve not seen any businesses on here recently promoting their own products/services other than what’s posted in the “made in the UK” section, or the odd clear out post in the parts for sale section. Nor any businesses slagging off another business over what they do or don’t stock. 

I agree, and it sort of chimes in with what @Iamnobody said. Can we get some specific examples of "dealers commenting favourably on products they stock (sometimes exclusively) on here recently", so that we know what we're talking about here?
    saying that, I’ve not seen any businesses on here recently promoting their own products/services other than what’s posted in the “made in the UK” section, or the odd clear out post in the parts for sale section. Nor any businesses slagging off another business over what they do or don’t stock. 

I agree, and it sort of chimes in with what @Iamnobody said. Can we get some specific examples of "dealers commenting favourably on products they stock (sometimes exclusively) on here recently", so that we know what we're talking about here?
    No, I'm not interested in witch hunts or tarnishing people's reputations based on my opinion, which may be right or wrong in the majority's eyes. Enough people have chimed in here saying that this practice doesn't bother them, so I'm happy to leave it there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    No one selling anything in the classifieds here ever says the reason they’re selling something is because it’s rubbish.

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/93071/fs-cheap-sh-t-you-dont-want

Damn, I was doing it wrong : )

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    Not really sure of the point of the post. Someone bigging up something they're selling should always be taken with a pinch of salt. They might be genuine, they might not so don't take it at face value unless you know and trust the source. To me at least, that's common sense that should be applied when buying literally anything.

Something has annoyed you enough to create a thread alluding to a dealer(s) not being completely open but surely you were expecting to be asked for an example? Otherwise, the thread might as well of been called 'who'd buy sand in the desert?'.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 491
    edited December 2018
    Ultimately dealers will buy stuff they believe will sell. Because it’s good and in demand by the market.

Sure some will push stock they think they can get margins on but overall, even cheap guitars are generally pretty good these days so it’s quite hard / rare to get total flops.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2174
    There are marketing bots now that can post comments on forums like this automated and for he purpose of driving sales. Might not even be a real person behind the comments.