Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarcenter website, no access

What's Hot

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    Bigsby said:
    FWIW, I had to deal with GDPR as a small business that needs to process mental health data, and that can included data on gender, sexual history and criminal records - so the new regulations had many implications. The issues I had to deal with came from the UK, specifically the ICO, and their inability to provide usable information on implementing policies right up to the day the law came into effect.
    I also have extensive professional experience of dealing with GDPR. Yes, the ICO were useless, but EU directives, by their nature, are broad, vague and open to interpretation.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tekbow said:

Now please, please for goodness sake, grow the hell up and stop turning a thread on a simple question into something it doesn't need to be, i.e. a bloody argument irrelevant to the question the OP asked.

Honestly, for a group of people that supposedly got what they wanted, you don't half whinge about it.

Grow the hell up? Okay Dad.

The thread was about GDPR, which is an EU directive. Thus, it's perfectly reasonable and proportionate to knock the EU for producing byzantine legislation that has unintended consequences. You may not agree, which is your prerogative, but I'm not trying to take the thread off topic.

From my perspective it's the EU sycophants that love a whinge. As to 'getting what I wanted', Brexit has not happened and is unlikely to happen in a meaningful way. Personally, I'd prefer to remain than go with May's deal, although my preference would be to leave without a deal. I abhor the EU, which is bloated, authoritarian and undemocratic, and my views have nothing to do with straight bananas or immigration. Don't let that stop you from thinking that I'm a racist, knuckle-dragging Daily Mail reader, though.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1687

No, the thread was a guy asking why he couldn't access a US website.

The reason was GDPR. All concerned went "Ah OK question answered."

Cue whinging stage right. Not every conversation everywhere has to be a lengthy justification about why that vote scraped a majority. It's almost as if supporters are really insecure about it.

I said nothing as to what i thought of your position on race, the length of your arms, or what newspaper you choose to read. please don't be so intellectually dishonest as to tell me what i think.

I merely pointed out that this is so old by now. An innocuous question can't even be asked without a lengthy tirade about how everything is the EU's fault. this isn't even the Off Topic thread and we're decidedly off topic.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2018
    ^^

@tekbow GDPR is an EU directive, so the suggestion that we can only note that it's due to GDPR but not go on to discuss the unintended consequences of the EU's byzantine regulation is completely disingenuous. If we accept that GDPR is imperfect and has caused issues, whose fault is it but the EU's?

>The reason was GDPR. All concerned went "Ah OK question answered."

The 'question' was answered in the original post - the OP knew that it was due to GDPR, which is clearly stated in his post. This is a discussion forum, so the idea that we can't then go on to discuss the issue is a nonsense. I know that some people are very sensitive to EU bashing, but it's a fair sport.

If you read back through the thread you'll see that you were the first person to allude to the referendum.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1687
    We nothing, maybe you can't, as you're the only one ranting and attempting to justify your rant.

Really? You know being disingenuous isn't  any more intellectually honest than attempting to tell me what i think.

What a shame. Ignore list for you I think.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    Bigsby said:

You think the EU are the issue, try taking a closer look at Westminster, and the clowns we've got in parliament, the unelected members of the lords and civil servants. After two years of negotiating, they've got a deal none of them actually want or believe in, by contrast, the whole block of remaining EU nations have managed to agree it without an argument. And still some people say the UK will be able to negotiate better trade deals outside the EU. What a joke.

No-one in the EU is arguing over it because it is a great deal for them.  We will be stuck in the free market and customs union, unable to leave, but we won't be able to vote against their directives any more.  If our government hadn't caved in at every turn, then you would have seen friction and division among the EU 27.

There are things you can do to avoid letting things be tracked so much.  You can use a search engine like DuckDuckGo, you can get a VPN, or you can change your cookie settings - although that last one might affect how you can use some websites.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So once again the EU gets blamed for something that's someone else's fault. In this case companies being lazy. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Brize said:
    @tekbow GDPR is an EU directive, so the suggestion that we can only note that it's due to GDPR but not go on to discuss the unintended consequences of the EU's byzantine regulation is completely disingenuous. If we accept that GDPR is imperfect and has caused issues, whose fault is it but the EU's?
    12.3% of the votes between 2009-2015 the UK voted against the consensus in European Parliament. In 87% of the votes the UK voted with the winning majority. You can read from that what you may, there are some caveats listed at the end of the article. Important point being that UK was sat at the table and when asked about GDPR, it voted in favor. I headed GDPR implementation programmes and think it's a good thing for data subjects, data controllers and processors. It comes with added costs and minutiae. It is dense.

With respect to 'whose fault it is', I'm all for political debate, but having closely followed what's been happening in the commons, across the media, reading the comments and speaking to people on both sides I can only express that the seemingly continuous reliance in platitudes and allusive language does more to stoke emotions than it does for clarity and reason. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tekbow said:

What a shame. Ignore list for you I think.
    I wouldn't expect anything less. Sorry that opposing views are so uncomfortable for you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

So once again the EU gets blamed for something that's someone else's fault. In this case companies being lazy. 
    Or companies trying to grapple with impenetrable regulation that no two compliance consultants can agree on.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2913
    crunchman said:
    Bigsby said:

You think the EU are the issue, try taking a closer look at Westminster, and the clowns we've got in parliament, the unelected members of the lords and civil servants. After two years of negotiating, they've got a deal none of them actually want or believe in, by contrast, the whole block of remaining EU nations have managed to agree it without an argument. And still some people say the UK will be able to negotiate better trade deals outside the EU. What a joke.

No-one in the EU is arguing over it because it is a great deal for them.  We will be stuck in the free market and customs union, unable to leave, but we won't be able to vote against their directives any more.  If our government hadn't caved in at every turn, then you would have seen friction and division among the EU 27.

Firstly, it's not a 'great' deal for them, as the EU would prefer the UK didn't leave. It's no more than an acceptable deal - as evidenced by their acceptance of it.

Maybe now is a good moment to recognise that there isn't a 'great' deal available for either side: Any deal, including a no deal, is going to suck to some degree. It was pure fantasy, even idiocy, to believe that we'd leave with a 'great' deal, done within two years. Sadly, people voted for that non-existent fantasy deal, and now we're facing the consequences.

But the important point you're making is that it was OUR government that caved in at every turn. That should be enough to kill the fantasy that Britain is about to become a 'beacon of free trade' in the world. Or that being governed by Westminster alone is going to be any better for us.

However, your claim that if the British government hadn't caved in, then we would've seen friction and division in the EU is unsupported by any evidence. They more likely would've closed ranks and simply let the UK drop out without a deal. They have far less to lose from that outcome than we do - though, of course, it's not something they want either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2018
    Bigsby said:
    crunchman said:
    Bigsby said:

Firstly, it's not a 'great' deal for them, as the EU would prefer the UK didn't leave. It's no more than an acceptable deal - as evidenced by their acceptance of it.

Maybe now is a good moment to recognise that there isn't a 'great' deal available for either side: Any deal, including a no deal, is going to suck to some degree. It was pure fantasy, even idiocy, to believe that we'd leave with a 'great' deal, done within two years. Sadly, people voted for that non-existent fantasy deal, and now we're facing the consequences.

But the important point you're making is that it was OUR government that caved in at every turn. That should be enough to kill the fantasy that Britain is about to become a 'beacon of free trade' in the world. Or that being governed by Westminster alone is going to be any better for us.

However, your claim that if the British government hadn't caved in, then we would've seen friction and division in the EU is unsupported by any evidence. They more likely would've closed ranks and simply let the UK drop out without a deal. They have far less to lose from that outcome than we do - though, of course, it's not something they want either.

Dropping out without a deal in the short term would probably let us negotiate a much better deal in the long term.

Even if the EU has been united over this, mainly to encourage others not to drop out, it's not exactly a model for how to run an organisation properly.  There are all kinds of issues.  Look at the Italian government sticking its middle finger up at EU budget requirements, or Hungary's repression, or Greece's (among others) financial problems, which have merely been kicked down the road, and not resolved at all.

Even if they have united against us, the EU is a complete basket case.  That's the main reason we need to leave.  It's going to unravel eventually.

The irony is that a lot of their regulations are actually quite good.  Getting back to the original topic of this thread, they are very good on trying to protect people's data, although they do it in a ham fisted way at times. They are also pretty good on food standards and animal welfare.  They are too much in hock to certain business interests though in some of these issues (see Article 13 as an example).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2913
    crunchman said:

Dropping out without a deal in the short term would probably let us negotiate a much better deal in the long term.

Even if the EU has been united over this, mainly to encourage others not to drop out, it's not exactly a model for how to run an organisation properly.  There are all kinds of issues.  Look at the Italian government sticking its middle finger up at EU budget requirements, or Hungary's repression, or Greece's (among others) financial problems, which have merely been kicked down the road, and not resolved at all.

Even if they have united against us, the EU is a complete basket case.  That's the main reason we need to leave.  It's going to unravel eventually.

The irony is that a lot of their regulations are actually quite good.  Getting back to the original topic of this thread, they are very good on trying to protect people's data, although they do it in a ham fisted way at times. They are also pretty good on food standards and animal welfare.  They are too much in hock to certain business interests though in some of these issues (see Article 13 as an example).

If we drop out without a deal, we're still in a weak bargaining position (a much smaller market wanting access to a much larger market), and we've still got a bunch of inexperienced incompetents negotiating for us, against a team of negotiators who've been conducting international negotiations throughout their careers. The EU are pretty good at doing deals where they don't get shafted, and not doing deals where they would - as members we've got no excuse for not knowing that.

As for the EU being divided, well, perhaps they are, but they're a lot less divided than the Tory party right now - and they're the people who created this mess... and just so they could grab enough UKIP votes to take power for themselves. The one thing I'd like to see unravel is the sodding Tory party! 
  • Can this be moved to some Brexit thread so I can read about Guitars
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    Can this be moved to some Brexit thread so I can read about Guitars
    Just not on the Guitar Center (can't even spell it properly) website :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Can this be moved to some Brexit thread so I can read about Guitars
    This thread is easily avoided if you move your mouse cursor up or down before clicking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    Brize said:

So once again the EU gets blamed for something that's someone else's fault. In this case companies being lazy. 
    Or companies trying to grapple with impenetrable regulation that no two compliance consultants can agree on.
    It's almost as if the EU introduced the legislation knowing it would take years of legal argument in the ECJ, in order to keep lawyers busy and enable the EU to raise revenue via fines. But the EU would never do that... would they? I mean the EU is lovely and clever and really great! They wouldn't... surely not?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2959
    ** THREAD OVERTAKEN BY BREXIT ALERT**

Image result for brexit frustration
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bigsby said:

Very selective quoting on your part. From the same article:

Since she assumed her current role in November 2014, Ms Vestager has had several high-profile clashes with American tech firms. In May she fined Facebook €110m for misleading EU trustbusters about its takeover of WhatsApp, a messaging service. In June a long-running investigation resulted in a €2.4bn fine on Google for using its search engine to promote its own comparison-shopping service. EU trustbusters have also charged Google with using its Android operating system to promote its mobile-phone apps and services over those of rivals. That investigation continues.

Brussels believes the growing power of big tech firms to shape politics, society and the economy requires a counterweight. The battle is of greater urgency, the commission reckons, because the data that tech monopolies have accumulated make it far harder for upstart firms to displace them or keep them in check.

In some of the battles she has started, tech giants had a case to answer. Facebook’s misdeed, for instance, is not much disputed. The Google Android investigation seems to have merit.

Her main aim may have been to get the issue of corporate-tax evasion firmly on the agenda. If so, it was a tactical masterstroke.
    If that was her main aim, it was less a tactical masterstroke and more a disingenuous ploy. I naturally have no issue with tackling out-and-out corporate tax evasion, but does anybody really give a shit about Google bundling its search engine with Android phones? It comes across as more of a personal crusade than a righteous quest.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Shrews said:
    **PEOPLE SURPRISED THAT THREAD ABOUT AN EU DIRECTIVE INCLUDES REFERENCES TO BREXIT ALERT**

Image result for brexit frustration
    FTFY.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom