Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarcenter website, no access

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2913
    Brize said:
    Bigsby said:

Very selective quoting on your part. From the same article:

Since she assumed her current role in November 2014, Ms Vestager has had several high-profile clashes with American tech firms. In May she fined Facebook €110m for misleading EU trustbusters about its takeover of WhatsApp, a messaging service. In June a long-running investigation resulted in a €2.4bn fine on Google for using its search engine to promote its own comparison-shopping service. EU trustbusters have also charged Google with using its Android operating system to promote its mobile-phone apps and services over those of rivals. That investigation continues.

Brussels believes the growing power of big tech firms to shape politics, society and the economy requires a counterweight. The battle is of greater urgency, the commission reckons, because the data that tech monopolies have accumulated make it far harder for upstart firms to displace them or keep them in check.

In some of the battles she has started, tech giants had a case to answer. Facebook’s misdeed, for instance, is not much disputed. The Google Android investigation seems to have merit.

Her main aim may have been to get the issue of corporate-tax evasion firmly on the agenda. If so, it was a tactical masterstroke.
    If that was her main aim, it was less a tactical masterstroke and more a disingenuous ploy. 
    Hey, just quoting the article you referenced and quoted as though it was saying something meaningful. In reality, it tends to not support what you're saying at all! Even your quote wasn't saying much: So big American corporations think the EU are being 'protectionist' when they try to curb their abuse of power - what do you expect them to say? 'It's a fair cop!'

But if you want to just believe the words that confirm your existing beliefs, whilst disregarding anything that might disconfirm them, well, that's a great way to keep your mind closed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    Bigsby said:

Hey, just quoting the article you referenced and quoted as though it was saying something meaningful. In reality, it tends to not support what you're saying at all!
    I was just making the point that the morality of the situation isn't clear-cut - nothing more.
    Bigsby said:

But if you want to just believe the words that confirm your existing beliefs, whilst disregarding anything that might disconfirm them, well, that's a great way to keep your mind closed.
    Wise words. I do hope that you're wise enough to take your own advice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bigsby said:

If we drop out without a deal, we're still in a weak bargaining position (a much smaller market wanting access to a much larger market), and we've still got a bunch of inexperienced incompetents negotiating for us, against a team of negotiators who've been conducting international negotiations throughout their careers. The EU are pretty good at doing deals where they don't get shafted, and not doing deals where they would - as members we've got no excuse for not knowing that.

As for the EU being divided, well, perhaps they are, but they're a lot less divided than the Tory party right now - and they're the people who created this mess... and just so they could grab enough UKIP votes to take power for themselves. The one thing I'd like to see unravel is the sodding Tory party! 
    Despite our disagreements elsewhere in this thread, I agree with all of this bar the last sentence. The Tories are a shambles, but what credible alternative is there?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1012
    edited December 2018
    :)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • very interesting but lets get back to the OP post. If you use https://www.usa-proxy.org and then enter the website URL then you should be able to browse the website. Not sure if i would use my credit card with a proxy...:)
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2018
    Brize said:
    Bigsby said:

If we drop out without a deal, we're still in a weak bargaining position (a much smaller market wanting access to a much larger market), and we've still got a bunch of inexperienced incompetents negotiating for us, against a team of negotiators who've been conducting international negotiations throughout their careers. The EU are pretty good at doing deals where they don't get shafted, and not doing deals where they would - as members we've got no excuse for not knowing that.

As for the EU being divided, well, perhaps they are, but they're a lot less divided than the Tory party right now - and they're the people who created this mess... and just so they could grab enough UKIP votes to take power for themselves. The one thing I'd like to see unravel is the sodding Tory party! 
    Despite our disagreements elsewhere in this thread, I agree with all of this bar the last sentence. The Tories are a shambles, but what credible alternative is there?
    You're asking that as though the Tories are in some way credible to begin with - they aren't. And there's no one less credible IMO, the Tories just happen to be in power, (well, as long as the DUP are willing to prop them up). The only fortunate thing is that the last two years have seen them too tied up in screwing up Brexit to actually spend much time screwing up governing the country. God help us when we end up having to rely on those expenses fiddling, self aggrandising, narcissistic half wits to run the country without the EU doing half their work for them. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bigsby said:

You're asking that as though the Tories are in some way credible to begin with - they aren't. And there's no one less credible IMO
    I think you're struggling for credibility yourself with that statement. Theresa May is probably the least impressive prime minister we've ever had but the alternatives don't bear thinking about.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Brize said:
    Bigsby said:

You're asking that as though the Tories are in some way credible to begin with - they aren't. And there's no one less credible IMO
    I think you're struggling for credibility yourself with that statement. Theresa May is probably the least impressive prime minister we've ever had but the alternatives don't bear thinking about.
    Far from it. Why pick on Theresa - she's the most credible of the bunch! She's managed to avoid a knife in the back for a couple of years, which is a pretty impressive feat in itself. But the party that managed to plant a knife firmly in Thatcher's back is utterly incapable of repeating the performance today. There's barely a competent one amongst them - they certainly don't deserve to govern, nor are they capable of it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Bigsby said:

There's barely a competent one amongst them - they certainly don't deserve to govern, nor are they capable of it.
    I don't disagree with you, but if you think that Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott, Eagle, et al would be any more competent or capable, I'd like some of what you're smoking.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Disconfirm?!

Have we really come to this?
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 420
    John 11:35
  • all this drivel over access to a US guitar companies website? It's a shit site anyway

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom