Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dealer/sales rep 'Facts' you've been told

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I once stood and waited while a GuitarGuitar employee warmed up the valves on a THR10 I later bought. I just went along with it
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I once stood and waited while a GuitarGuitar employee warmed up the valves on a THR10 I later bought. I just went along with it
    lol did he specifically say valves or just thought the amp had to warm up?

If so, I wonder if he actually thought it has them or if it was just a sales lie
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • terada said:
    boogieman said:
    boogieman said:
    I once took my Strat to the old Andy’s shop in Denmark Street for a refret. Their guitar tech spent  about 15 minutes telling me that Strats were terrible guitars, how Leo had got the design so wrong and I really should have bought a Gibson. 
    He was right, but you didn't need to be told that at the time
    Good enough for Jimi, Jeff Beck, SRV, Dave Gilmour, Rory, Hank etc etc etc though. 
    All secret les Paul players. In fact, a store rep once told me they all played R8s 
    Ahem.. to my knowledge none of these are photoshopped..! Though I'll grant there's the odd Custom or R6 in there ;)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    I once stood and waited while a GuitarGuitar employee warmed up the valves on a THR10 I later bought. I just went along with it
    lol did he specifically say valves or just thought the amp had to warm up?

If so, I wonder if he actually thought it has them or if it was just a sales lie
    He specifically said valves and also pointed out you could see them lighting up :')
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    A tech once told me that the narrow-tall frets on Fenders were there so that they could be stoned down to normal fret heights. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    One rep told me Gibsons were better than Fenders, oh, how I laughed!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Jeff at Machinehead told me I'd really like the used Ibanez Talman he had in.

I've still got it, 17 years later, and it is still my favourite guitar. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    terada said:
    boogieman said:
    boogieman said:
    I once took my Strat to the old Andy’s shop in Denmark Street for a refret. Their guitar tech spent  about 15 minutes telling me that Strats were terrible guitars, how Leo had got the design so wrong and I really should have bought a Gibson. 
    He was right, but you didn't need to be told that at the time
    Good enough for Jimi, Jeff Beck, SRV, Dave Gilmour, Rory, Hank etc etc etc though. 
    All secret les Paul players. In fact, a store rep once told me they all played R8s 
    Ahem.. to my knowledge none of these are photoshopped..! Though I'll grant there's the odd Custom or R6 in there ;)

Yeah, they were just playing them to remind themselves of how crap those funny little guitars with their detachable headstocks and muffly Bumfucker pickups were. Obviously they all recorded the vast bulk of their material on superior Fenders ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Music Ground
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited December 2018
    I took a Collings acoustic for some work to an authorised repairer and when I went to collect it I noticed a gap alone the back edge of the bridge that you could slide a folded piece of paper under easily.

When I pointed it out, the clueless fop behind the counter said “oh yeah that’s really common and totally normal...you even see it on really good guitars like Taylors”. I suggested I get Bill Collings on the phone so they could explain to him how it was normal for his guitars to have gaps in them (this was back when he was with us and he’d totally have taken that call...). So counter boy got the boss from the workshop who to his credit took one look and said “oh that’s odd, we’ll need to sort that out”. But seemingly even the shops with the best reputations have total nobs working in them though sadly.
  • I once told someone a digital model of an amp sounded and felt just like the real thing. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    I once told someone a digital model of an amp sounded and felt just like the real thing. 
    Such a bullshitter ;)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited December 2018
    skunkwerx said:

Unsure if specific bullshit, but on 3 other guitars my high e string has never slipped through a tuner hole, ever, and I've never had to use any locking or wrapping methods. 

£50 + parts on an own brand guitar, of which Andertons could use their professional relationship with Grover to atleast help a customer out to replace the one tuner under a lifetime warranty, is bullshit though. 

I'd happily pay the labour of fitting it of course.

But, though I've never had this problem before over 15 years and approx 7 guitars, I'm open to the collective widsom and mileage of thefretboard to brand this Bullshit or Not Bullshit. Lol. 
    I bet he's going to be Cross when he sees this.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    Well, that alone has put me off ever buying anything from them.  It's a shame wassisface from Andertons isn't on here anymore to answer for this.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    terada said:
    'Yeah, they actually add cabinet rattle and the swooshing noise in to make them more vintage correct, some people don't like it but they are meant to be like that'
    In that case, perhaps, they should charge the "vintage correct" price too? Would one hundred Dollars cover that, Mister Rep(tile)? ;)
    Be seeing you.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    baldy said:
    I ended up buying from an independent who spent the time to chat with me over a coffee & then suggested I came back with what I was going to play the guitar through at home, an amplifi TT, for a proper demo of the guitar as they didn"t have one & it would show me exactly what sound I would get.
    I went back a few days later armed with my TT & played the guitar through it, accompanied by another coffee.
    There was no pressure to buy, although I did buy the guitar.
    I was offered the option of having it set up before I took it away or taking it away as it was & returning when I wanted when they would set it up, if I thought anything needed altering, & show me how to change the strings & re-tune it as it is my first Floyd equipped guitar.
    Cost, just the set of strings.
    I had never even been in this store before but they will get my custom from now on.
    Good on you.

The problem those type of stores have is that they also get a stream of people coming in and trying stuff and then saying "can you match this price I've found on the internet".

Whilst it's easy to moan about dealers, I've also seen some quite remarkable behaviour from customers too......

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

A sales assistant at a branch of a big chain that has already been mentioned above (might have something to do with the wrong time of the month) once told me that a regular production line PRS was a limited edition, with the implication that if I didn't buy it then and there I might not be able to find another.

Never been back since.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    crunchman said:

A sales assistant at a branch of a big chain that has already been mentioned above (might have something to do with the wrong time of the month) once told me that a regular production line PRS was a limited edition, with the implication that if I didn't buy it then and there I might not be able to find another.

Never been back since.

Same chain told me LTD blues junior (which is lacquered tweed) meant limited and only a few would be available.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 304
    When I returned a brand new Fender Super Champ amp that had some bad cabinet buzz and rattle, I was told it was because I was playing a telecaster. 'That's the telecaster twang' I was told. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    NelsonP said:
    skunkwerx said:

Unsure if specific bullshit, but on 3 other guitars my high e string has never slipped through a tuner hole, ever, and I've never had to use any locking or wrapping methods. 

£50 + parts on an own brand guitar, of which Andertons could use their professional relationship with Grover to atleast help a customer out to replace the one tuner under a lifetime warranty, is bullshit though. 

I'd happily pay the labour of fitting it of course.

But, though I've never had this problem before over 15 years and approx 7 guitars, I'm open to the collective widsom and mileage of thefretboard to brand this Bullshit or Not Bullshit. Lol. 
    I bet he's going to be Cross when he sees this.
    Ah damn it now I feel bad.. 

Should this be deleted modmins?!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...