Shopping (and Lunching) in Leicester

What's Hot
This weekend my whole family is heading to Leicester (about an hour away) for some Xmas shopping. My parents, my brothers and sisters, my kids, their kids etc. We usually split off into groups and it's mainly so the grandparents can buy what the kids want - despite mine being 19 and 16 years old!

Rather than traipse around the usual high street stores, I wondered if anyone could give me some pointers on independent retailers that are worth visiting. Or even museums or entertainment ideas, and I'll just shop online!

Additionally, if we can grab a quick and easy bite to eat that's gluten free I'd love some tips. Indian/Far East food is of particular interest.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4159
    Indian/Far East food is of particular interest.
    You should be right in Leicester then, some of the best Indian snacks I ever had came from that town.  Bearing in mind I live in Manchester and like my Indian grub, it's high praise.

It was years ago so there's no point in me recommending - someone surely will though with more up-to-date knowledge.  I hope you enjoy it!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    No shortage of Asian food outlets in the city, might be harder to find a traditional english menu. A while since I was there so can't give specifics. It was my home city, so as a child every christmas involved a trip into Leicester, so much changed (as everywhere). Alternate entertainment might be the National space centre or just outside is Bradgate park/Old John if you like a brisk walk in the fresh air, beware the 'kids' might want to climb the odd rock outcrop ;-)
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Head for the Highcross shopping centre my friend, more shops that you can shake a stick at, and if you go out the top end there's Bars, Restraunts, Pubs, the whole nine yards. Or like the above poster has said The National Space Centre is Worth a visit, and there's Abbey Pumping Station (Victorian water pumping museum) next door, or head up London Road, for some of the best Curry houses in the land. Hope you have a great day!
  • randellarandella Frets: 4159
    Mark1960 said:
    head up London Road, for some of the best Curry houses in the land.
    It was London Road where I had the great food - I didn't want to say in case it'd gone downhill :)
    randella said:
    Mark1960 said:
    head up London Road, for some of the best Curry houses in the land.
    It was London Road where I had the great food - I didn't want to say in case it'd gone downhill :)
    Yeah it's still very good. The other good area for food is Belgrave gate - sometimes called the "Golden Mile" due to the high propensity of jewellery shops. Apparently it holds the biggest  annual Diwali celebrations outside of India!
  • BodBod Frets: 1298
    Not Indian food, but Delilah's is one of my favourite places to eat in the city centre.

https://www.delilahfinefoods.co.uk/menus
  • ^ on a similar note, St Martins Coffee shop too. Coffee is phenomenal, and the food is also great. 

For indian, go to Kayal. So great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ^ on a similar note, St Martins Coffee shop too. Coffee is phenomenal, and the food is also great. 

Yeah the Kayal is pretty special!
  • Is Kayak good for a quick lunch?
    Mark1960 said:
    ^ on a similar note, St Martins Coffee shop too. Coffee is phenomenal, and the food is also great. 

Yeah the Kayal is pretty special!
    Turns out we might end up with Indian food in the evening, so we might have to go for something different at lunch.
  • Thanks all. I think we're fixed for lunch then, plenty of options and places to explore for the right thing depending on our mood.

For shops, we'll be starting in the High Cross mall but I want to get away from the chain stores and find something a bit more boutique. I've found the Just Fair Trade shop, and also a vintage & old toy shop.

What about somewhere central to get a Henna hand design? Or some Indian/Far Eastern inspired gifts?
    Thanks all. I think we're fixed for lunch then, plenty of options and places to explore for the right thing depending on our mood.

For shops, we'll be starting in the High Cross mall but I want to get away from the chain stores and find something a bit more boutique. I've found the Just Fair Trade shop, and also a vintage & old toy shop.

What about somewhere central to get a Henna hand design? Or some Indian/Far Eastern inspired gifts?

Once again the "Golden Mile" Belgrave Road area of Leicester for both, it's still within the City about 1-1/2 miles from the centre.