Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A potentially long post about guitars and amps and worrying too much about things

What's Hot
Are you sitting comfortably? This might get a bit rambly...

Right now, I have a number of "keeper" guitars, due to a mix of sentimental value and them genuinely being downright great instruments.

Around the side of those main guitars I've always liked to try and keep "something else" that's not just a regular solidbody. This summer that led me to an ES-330 which is a really great guitar, but I'm struggling with the P90s and hollowness, just a little, and have a nagging feeling I'd rather just have a Les Paul, preferably an R7 or Custom. I reckon I could quite happily make that switch without spending too much extra, and 99% sure it would be a good move. But i'm stressing about decision making as I'm not gigging and mostly play on my sofa. But I keep looking longingly at the R7 in Coda and hoping they'll do some R8 style discounts... 

Add to that a similar feeling around amps... Currently I have a THR10C which is fantastic and a Badcat Cub 15 which is completely brilliant, and the master volume makes it very useable at home. But I'm feeling more and more that something blackface-flavoured would suit me better, given that every time I've plugged into a Deluxe Reverb I've had a cheshire-cat grin. But I also live in a flat and don't play live, so an amp without power scaling or a master volume is maybe a little nuts. That said, I only ever get to the verge of breakup from the amp, and use pedals for everything beyond that, so maybe it's fine?  

Perhaps, therefore, the answer is a DRRI and a decent attenuator or load box, but would that be enough for an apartment? The UA Ox looks a spectacular bit of kit but it's a shitload of money. Is power scaling viable for a DRRI? Or something boutiquey like an Allen Accomplice or Vintage Sound SC22 or Rift? 

Both would be easy enough to try but for the fact I'm in the UAE and trying new gear is a complete pain. Chances of finding either option on the used market here is next to zero, and shipping this stuff is always a level of risk and pain-in-ass, especially with the CITES shit of late.

Would would you do? 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    https://img.discogs.com/lgV977v0iSaIzAQ2PK_mNT-usYY=/fit-in/600x468/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-1412659-1282586260.jpeg.jpg
    Thats where I’m at at the moment - stuff the gas, just get on and play. But tbh, if you’d asked me a year ago I’d have given a different answer. And next year, who knows?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • mart said:
    https://img.discogs.com/lgV977v0iSaIzAQ2PK_mNT-usYY=/fit-in/600x468/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-1412659-1282586260.jpeg.jpg
    Thats where I’m at at the moment - stuff the gas, just get on and play. But tbh, if you’d asked me a year ago I’d have given a different answer. And next year, who knows?
    I agree. Forget about changing gear and use what you have to play music.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2018
    The warmer tones of a Les Paul would probably be better for messing around on the sofa, but I think P90's sit nicely in a mix. I'd like to have both 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 846
    In my opinion I much prefer sitting down with ES guitars than Les Pauls. The grass isn’t always greener.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12323
    Princeton reverb smaller and quieter than DRRI. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    But not as good sounding, imo...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • koss59 said:
    In my opinion I much prefer sitting down with ES guitars than Les Pauls. The output jack on a 335 doesn't foul the settee cushion like it does on an LP,
    Fixed ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The guitar I play most is a fairly battered Yamaha Pacifica that I picked up for next to nothing, has a trem that doesn't work properly, and has only had 5 strings for about 3 months. :)
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    by the time I got to end of OP I had forgotten the start.

what was the question again?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12323
    munckee said:
    Maybe in the flat?
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2018
    munckee said:
    munckee said:
    Maybe in the flat?
    B-flat?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    In my humble opinion pedals make as much sonic difference as amps and guitars. Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper to buy a few of them? 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I used to have dilemmas like this, and the “shut up and play guitar” is the best bit of advice on here (wiz awarded). 
  • munckee said:
    Interesting.... Whenever I’ve A/Bd them in a shop, I always thought the Princeton was better sounding. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I too think that Deluxes just sound better than Princeton's every time I A/B them. I bought one recently, and quality issues to one side, it really was too loud for home use. Specifically, it was too loud to play clean at home. It only really did that deluxe clean thing (that gives me the Cheshire Cat grin too ;) ) after about 2 on the dial, and at that point it was already very loud. Lower than that and it just sounded a little strangled.

As much as I'd have liked to replace it with another (I really do prefer Deluxes ;) ), I've gone for a Princeton. Hasn't been delivered yet, but I'm hoping it will give me the clean blackface tones I love at home volumes.

As for changing up gear, don't pressure yourself into thinking you have to either splurge or restrict yourself because of some notion of what is 'right'.

You don't have to be a gigging musician to have nice instruments. Those moments on the sofa are plenty reason to treat yourself.  :)

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092

Would would you do? 
    Be happy with what you have. It’s the cheapest and easiest answer. And it’s not like you’re playing a banjo through a Smokey, is it? 
    Fair do’s if you decide that your particular gear isn’t for you - I have played hollowbody p90 guitars for a long time and what they are on paper doesn’t always translate to reality so I get that - then play the long game, sell it at a good price and get something you think you will jive with. There will probably never be a shortage of good LP’s and Blackface Fenders, even in UAE, especially if you’ve sold your other stuff and are actively looking. 

Fwiw, do really try and spend some time with an LP and a Deluxe Reverb. For many it’s a real corker, but I have been deflated every time with that combo. Just my 2p.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 237
    If you got the funds buy whatever you want that is gonna bring the most enjoyment.  You sound like you have a nice setup as it is. I also find people buy new stuff to get out of a rut and relight the fire but a cheaper option is go learn some new chords and learn the theory behind them and focus on improving your playing instead.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    Love p90's personally and customs are one my favourites too, that's what I'd get if i was buying but i build em so never go shopping or get gas

There's an idea get building something it cures gas 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9505
    edited December 2018
    Keep searching, spending, trying and swopping...

GAS in an instinct... the journey is exciting, expensive, frustrating and joyful.

But along the way, you’ll pick up wisdom and gear that works for you...

BUT, trust your instinct and learn to know what YOU like; that’s the only way to find the sound in your head,,,,