Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Form an orderly queue - the Harrisons are selling the 'world's rarest LP'.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• preston61 said:
    sorry, who are the Harrisons?? In my head it's some random duet between George and Ford
    Google Musicground, JMI, knock off Vintage guitars and erm International guitar theft. Might give you an appreciation.........

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    How many have the Harrisons made?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    How many have the Harrisons made?
    ...perhaps that's what 1957 refers to?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If I had tens of thousands of pounds to spend on a extremely rare instrument, convicted criminal fraudsters would be my first port of call, for sure.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Does anyone know if there’s the remotest chance that it left the factory like that?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Does anyone know if there’s the remotest chance that it left the factory like that?
    Whose factory, Gibson's or Musicground's?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Does anyone know if there’s the remotest chance that it left the factory like that?
    Whose factory, Gibson's or Musicground's?
    Genuine question - is there a documented example? My vintage Fender knowledge is good - I know less about Gibsons.
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I love the switchmaster switch but the 6 knobs are... bad . 
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    There are two Harrisons. Who are the other four knobs?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Everyone knows the Harrison’s are convicted thieves and con men, but Gibson did so oddball stuff on request, Mickey Baker’s famous LPC’s being the most pertinent parallel:

The Switchmaster toggle selector was introduced in ‘57 I believe, and the six knob/triple pickup configuration well established, so it wouldn’t be a leap for Gibson to add them to an LPC if requested. 
  • Everyone knows the Harrison’s are convicted thieves and con men, but Gibson did so oddball stuff on request, Mickey Baker’s famous LPC’s being the most pertinent parallel:
    That's what I don't really get about this guitar. Assuming it what we are led to believe it is, it does seem to be an 'oddball', and I am not sure why this fact should add so much to the value. I guess some might say 'rarity', but then again the oddball modifications also detract from the classic qualities of the original design.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    I still don’t think it’s ‘ugly’.

But hey, each to their own 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• deano said:
    Does it have any of "The Tree" in it?
    You mean the log surely?

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Sassafras said:
    You'd think an asking price of over a $120 million would warrant some better photos.
    There. Corrected your typo.
  • fandango said:
    Sassafras said:
    You'd think an asking price of over a $120 million would warrant some better photos.
    There. Corrected your typo.
    Typical isn't it? Buy for £80,000 (and they probably low-balled the seller after pretending to be a hard-up musician) then flip it the next day for £120 million. There's just too much of this sort of thing going on. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    edited December 2018
    I'm not convinced on this one.  Look at the 21st fret inlay on the John Miles video (at 4:00 mins) and on the three pickup above, then look at the Harrison's picture.  It's much narrower on theirs, which is what happened on the reissues, after about 1970.
  • PhilKing said:
    I'm not convinced on this one.  Look at the 21st fret inlay on the John Miles video (at 4:00 mins) and on the three pickup above, then look at the Harrison's picture.  It's much narrower on theirs, which is what happened on the reissues, after about 1970.
    Just had a look and you could be right, although it's hard to be 100% certain with the different camera angles and the quality of the video. If the inlay is narrower, then it seems that this could have originally been a standard 70's Custom that was subsequently modded to look like the '57 special order (the one that apparently ended up in the ownership of John Miles).

Seems the same guitar is / was on Sweetwater - for $20,000 or offers.