Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Flogging a dead horse?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited December 2018
    Do you think one day this tedious everyone-offended-by-everything phase of history will pass, and your descendants (I won't have any) will look back and say "gosh, what a bunch of effete, humourless tossers"...? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Have you seen inside the PETA office though? Hardly room to swing a cat...

(Rimshot... cymbal!)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Do you think one day this tedious everyone-offended-by-everything phase of history will pass, and your descendants (I won't have any) will look back and say "gosh, what a bunch of effete, humourless tossers"...? 
    Does that include the people who get offended by other people getting offended?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3355
    Jimbro66 said:
    According to animal rights organisation PETA we shouldn’t be using common phrases like:

Flogging a dead horse.
    More than one way to skin a cat
    Kill two birds with one stone
    Bringing home the bacon
    Put all your eggs in one basket
    Take the bull by the horns
    Let the cat out of the bag
    Using someone as a Guinea Pig
    Hold your horses
    Opening up a can of worms

Peta want’s to see them removed from our language because vegans see them as offensive.

They are very commonly used expressions which, I have to say, I use without a thought for the literal meaning because they are all used metaphorically.

Do we have any vegans here? Are you dismayed by these common idioms?

I think we can count on Emp to be, but anyone else?

Source? Let me guess, the daily (insert comic name here).
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Philly_Q said:
    Does that include the people who get offended by other people getting offended?
    You've got me there....
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited December 2018
    I don't use "kill two birds with one stone."
    Much prefer, "feed two birds with one seed."
    No problems about using patients and students as guinea pigs. 
    EDIT -- I don't think I could ever use guinea pigs as guinea pigs.  I really like rodents. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    robgilmo said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    According to animal rights organisation PETA we shouldn’t be using common phrases like:

Flogging a dead horse.
    Bringing home the bacon
    Hold your horses

Peta want’s to see them removed from our language because vegans see them as offensive.

They are very commonly used expressions which, I have to say, I use without a thought for the literal meaning because they are all used metaphorically.

Er, no

https://mobile.twitter.com/peta/status/1070066047414345729
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlonde said:
    Letting the cat out of the bag refers to the whip called the cat of nine tails being pulled from it's stowage bag to thrash a sailor, it has nothing to do with poor animals but everything to do with people abuse.

^ Correct - as does refering to a room being too small to swing a cat - nothing to do with felines, all to do with whips

According to QI nothing to do with whips and all to do with cats (although with many old phrases it's often unclear where it actually originates). 

I feel PETA have pretty much ( deliberately?) misunderstood why we find racist/ sexist/ homophobic/ ageist/ ableist sayings offensive, although I guess it’s an interesting talking point. 
    Out of the ones in the OP I’d probably avoid bringing home the bacon but not particularly for vegans. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418

I feel PETA have pretty much ( deliberately?) misunderstood why we find racist/ sexist/ homophobic/ ageist/ ableist sayings offensive, although I guess it’s an interesting talking point. 
    Out of the ones in the OP I’d probably avoid bringing home the bacon but not particularly for vegans. 
    It seems that some folk with a particular axe to grind are hijacking very worthy high-profile campaigns and distorting their intent to suit their own agenda. This seems to be particularly true of those exploiting the very serious core matters addressed by the #MeToo campaign to promote their own rather frivolous grievances. IMO of course.

Does anyone say “bringing home the bacon”? It’s not an expression I use. Maybe an American idiom?
  • robgilmo said:
    Jimbro66 said:

Flogging a dead horse.
    Bringing home the bacon
    Hold your horses

I always think it's more worthwhile knowing what was said rather than who reported what was said. As long as it's an accurate report.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    There seems to be a tendency in certain sectors of the press (ahem!) to promote the impression that the world is full of unreasonably and excessively sensitive people, just waiting to be offended.

Let's turn this round. Rather than worrying about offending people, why not just try to be polite to them. If you realise you've got it wrong, just apologise and learn for next time.
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    axisus said:
    There should be a word to describe when your worthy cause is overrun by vacuous, self promoting, parasitical idiots.
    There is; it's called "Momentum"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Flogging a dead horse = bdsm + necrophilia + bestiality
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Is spanking the monkey still OK?  Asking for a friend.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66 said:

It seems that some folk with a particular axe to grind are hijacking very worthy high-profile campaigns and distorting their intent to suit their own agenda. This seems to be particularly true of those exploiting the very serious core matters addressed by the #MeToo campaign to promote their own rather frivolous grievances. IMO of course.

Does anyone say “bringing home the bacon”? It’s not an expression I use. Maybe an American idiom?
    Not an expression I use although I’ve heard it ( goes back to Chaucer apparently).  They’re all fairly old fashioned phrases that would die out much quicker if PETA weren’t drawing attention to them perhaps. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    We can still use 'Pull a Rabbit Out The Hat' then seemingly??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Priceless :D 

Perhaps the perfect comment to end this thread.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    hootsmon said:
    Emp likes opening up a can of worms especially with a Guinness or two
    I can’t stand Guiness, but - and this is true -  I did dream the other night that I was eating worms from a tin and thought to myself “ugh.. this is gross...  why have you been eating these all these years” and spat them out.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.