Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Clockwork Wolf & Co - In The Sunshine (Formerly Rob Chapman Band)

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
edited December 2018 in Music
Well, Rob Chapman has stepped up the audio and video quality to a whole new level. This is pro stuff from the "amateur" Youtuber and seriously impressive.

The hammy acting in the video aside (at this level he needs a screenwriter and director), the production is right up with "pro" stuff and he's clearly targeting the big money pool of the US by reinventing himself into a more mainstream dirty blues rock vibe as opposed to the metalhead, T-shirt wearing, short wearing dude niche he has inhabited to date.

The song is pretty good, great sounding guitars and excellent production.

I like it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Yep - a definite American 80s vibe to the whole thing. Good video. Decent enough song. Solid production. They should be proud of that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited December 2018
    The EP is pretty good, some tasty guitar tones, especially the 'Old For New' solo.

• Listened to the EP on Spotify whilst cooing dinner today. I had my reservations but really enjoyed it actually. Even more so than the heavier stuff he does with Dorje. His voice seems well suited to this more bluesy stuff and I thought the tones/playing was great.

I recognised a lot fot he riffs from the Andertons videos as well. I think he has been saving them up for a project like this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    edited December 2018
    Obviously a very talented guy, but every piece of music he has released, that I have heard, I have not been a fan of, bar one song. 

Fair play to him. He's in the music industry and has a guitar company.

This is also not my cup of tea. Not a fan of the vocals/lyrics. This might also be why I dislike the way Chapman / the guitar company names their guitars, pickups, and the descriptions they use. Reminds me of 12/13 year old me playing AD&D. Something lacking maturity. 

But, as a balance, I'll repeat that he has a lot of talent and I'd love to have his job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    He is a really good guitarist, I quite like this, but his voice grates on me in the same way that the guy from Volbeat grates on me too, sounds like they have had the same voice training.

If you like this bluesy rock vibe thing then you may enjoy these guys from a land far far away

• Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    I like the song but whilst the video is well made it didn't really do anything for me.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    I like Rob and don't mind his music or career, but that video felt a bit like a student's project. I guess you can't do much without it covering the same well-trodden cliches - and that goes for the lyrics too. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1646
    edited December 2018
    better than anything I could produce.. well done Chappers..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    He is a really good guitarist, I quite like this, but his voice grates on me in the same way that the guy from Volbeat grates on me too, sounds like they have had the same voice training.

I wonder if it's the accent?  Chappers is trying hard to sound American but every now and then his English accent slips out and sounds weird.  I don't know Volbeat but I know they're Danish.

I noticed the same thing on the Martin Miller/Andy Timmons clip of "Still Got The Blues" the other day - I liked Miller's singing but occasionally he gets a bit Germanic. 

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I liked the EP, his voice has improved with every release - the first Dorje was a little sketchy, 2nd was miles better and his voice actually seems to suit this one. 
  • I'd also like to add that charging £20 for an EP for a relatively unknown band is crazy. Yes, it is heavyweight coloured vinyl, but it is an insanely high price considering it's an EP.
  • I'd also like to add that charging £20 for an EP for a relatively unknown band is crazy. Yes, it is heavyweight coloured vinyl, but it is an insanely high price considering it's an EP.
    I think calling them a "relatively unknown band" isn't quite accurate, given that the EP's been #1 on the blues charts on both Amazon and iTunes for a few days now. For reference, that's beating Bonamassa, Beth Hart, Robert Cray and Seasick Steve. Sure, a new release from any of those would probably eclipse them, but still...
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    edited December 2018
    I'd also like to add that charging £20 for an EP for a relatively unknown band is crazy. Yes, it is heavyweight coloured vinyl, but it is an insanely high price considering it's an EP.
    I think calling them a "relatively unknown band" isn't quite accurate, given that the EP's been #1 on the blues charts on both Amazon and iTunes for a few days now. For reference, that's beating Bonamassa, Beth Hart, Robert Cray and Seasick Steve. Sure, a new release from any of those would probably eclipse them, but still...
    Perhaps not so much in the near future, but time will tell whether it continues. They've only suddenly become known on the usual channels through social media. I would in no way say they are established.  I wish them well as it seems they are doing extremely well, but £20 for an EP?! I paid £20 for the Smashing Pumpkins silver version of their new 8 track album, and I still think it should have been longer, but it is the Pumpkins....
    Perhaps not so much in the near future, but time will tell whether it continues. I wish them well as it seems they are doing extremely well, but £20 for an EP?! I paid £20 for the Smashing Pumpkins silver version of their new 8 track album, and I still think it should have been longer, but it is the Pumpkins....
    Well, I suspect it's going to be true of any release Rob does - everything he's released so far has gone straight to the top of the respective charts (Dorje's first attempt was top of all charts on Amazon for about a week). It's the benefit of having a reasonably-sized and dedicated subscriber base on YouTube.
    <space for hire>

£2.99 on iTunes is fair though

£2.99 on iTunes is fair though
    Absolutely!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    wow, that was horrible.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysoft said:
    wow, that was horrible.
    To be fair its not that bad, could do with a better singer
    “Ken sent me.”
  • It's a bit genre-hoppy of him. I mean that's his right obviously, but it's just odd. It's not eclectic, just a bit odd.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Great stuff RandallFlagg, I would never have heard this if it wasn't for you drawing my attention to it with this thread  I like it. Much better than Dorje. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom