Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The FB Globetrotters Thread

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• MtBMtB Frets: 921
    edited December 2018
    Latvia

1997 - on business for a couple of days. Was there bidding to upgrade the Riga water treatment works. After visiting the existing facility I decided to drink bottled water for the rest of the visit. There wasn't a sewage treatment works at the time - everything was directly discharged to the Baltic. Yuk! 

It hadn't been long since the Ruskis left the country, so there were lots of military folk carrying sub-machine guns.
    Food was fine, as by that time there was already an O'Neils bar open in the centre of Riga.
    A pretty place though. Naffin cold - we went in November Brrrrr!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    octatonic said:
    Mrs Oct and I were talking the other day about this.

She has been to 62 countries, I've only been to 47- she travels for work though so it is always on someone else's dime.

I'll spare listing them all.
    Mrs Fuengi has been to a few left in the list, she worked for an airline. 
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1367
    edited December 2018
    Finland - went with the Scouts, when at school a rather long time ago. Also, passed briefly through Sweden, where I went to the cinema, and saw a Bond film in English with both Swedish and Finnish subtitles.

France. Spent a year in Normandy at Caen University in the mid '60's doing a foreign students' course plus visits to Paris both then and later.

South Africa (Orange Free State). 2007. Ten days riding horseback, plus a morning where my daughter and I bottle fed 4 week old Lion Cubs. One of the best holidays ever.

Majorca. 2001. Beach holiday with young daughter.

Austria. Several times - skiing as a student in the ‘60’s. Couple of visits to Vienna much more recently. Not cheap, but loads of history, and Apple Strudel.

Italy : multiple times in last 5 years. Visits to Florence and Rome, plus guitar courses in Tuscany. Love the food, and general way of Italian life. Why they ever wanted to come and live on Hadrian’s Wall (as I currently do) is mystifying.

Yugoslavia, when it existed : standard beach holiday.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    I've been to loads of countries around the world but most have already been taken in posts above. Your remaining list today @Fuengi makes me realise how many I've not visited (so many countries, so little time). I can claim Indonesia off that last list, including its islands Bali and Lombok (mainly lovely people, stunning scenery, fantastic beaches).

Although already mentioned I'll also give Nepal a special status as being the only place I have ever been teargassed (2000).
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    edited December 2018
    Falklands - 2005. 8000 miles or whatever to arrive at a place that resembles Wales. What an anticlimax.

Ascension Island - 2005. I wanted to stay there and not go to the above.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2958
    Separated for different women!

1982 - Germany - anarchic school trip
    1986 - Majorca (Magaluf) - teenage piss-up

1988 - Italy - Rimini, Venice, San Marino - great food, gorgeous women
    1990 - Tunisia - in a hotel full of Germans when we lost that penalty shoot out
    1993 - USA - LA, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Palm Springs 
    1994 - Portugal (Praia Da Rocha) - loved the place
    1995 - Gran Canaria (Puerto Rico) - too bloody hot, sunstroke, end of long relationship

1996 - Turkey (Bodrum) - honeymoon - first wife
    1999 - Portugal (Albufeira) - pushchair city
    2004 - France Disneyland Paris + Portugal (Praia Da Rocha)
    2005 - Portugal (Praia Da Rocha) - like a 2nd home
    2006 - Portugal (Praia Da Rocha) - like a 2nd home x2
    2007 - Portugal (Praia Da Rocha) - under new management 
    2008 - Cyprus (Pathos) - boring

2013 - Greece (Santorini) - 2 star hotel, 5 star island, loved it
    2014 - Cyprus (Protaras) - new partners 2nd home
    2016 - France (Riviera) - San Tropez, Cannes, Nice, stayed in Juans-Les-Pins, Monte-Carlo my favourite city

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Eire. Went through Belgium on route to Germany