NPD: Nocturne Junior Barnyard is in the house...

LewyLewy Frets: 4126
I love my little valco amps (Supro and Oahu brand) but they're noisy and cranky and generally not gigworthy so when my mate (@PinstripePhil of these parts) told me about this pedal I knew I'd have to take a punt.

It was a bit of a leap of faith because whilst it's been well proven to get the jump/west coast blues sound, I was interested more because of the way those old octal valve amps sounded on the earliest electrified blues....essentially when it was still country blues but being played on electric instruments, often solo or with minimal accompaniment (think Muddy's "Can't Be Satisfied"). 

So it arrived yesterday after a couple of months wait and based on a few hours of messing about, I'm definitely not disappointed. Plugged into a clean PRRI, it has a LOT of that warm-yet-a-bit-gnarly character of the Valcos. The bright/woolly switch is effective and balancing that with the guitar tone controls gives a lot of variety. Adding in the "Grits" gives a very accurate representation of what happens when you push these amps.

I suspect you could probably achieve the same with the right mild overdrive and an EQ pedal, but it's nice to be able to just plug in and get it. So far experimentation has been limited to a tele into the pedal into the PRRI. Next to explore will be the pedal with an acoustic with vintage DeArmond soundhole pickup (I suspect that is going to sound epic), and to try the pedal with my 57 Custom Champ ... that's not a great amp for pedals I find as it only wants to do it's own thing and gets too congested if you try and do anything else with it but we'll see. 

Anyone else out there using one of these for something other than jump blues? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cool. I'd be interested to A/B it with a Supreaux
  • PinstripePhilPinstripePhil Frets: 97
    edited December 2018
    Good one LC. Pedal is killer. 
    Quilter solidstate amp or block is recommended to accompany it.
    Enjoy!!
  • billzabozobillzabozo Frets: 62
    edited December 2018
    I'm jealous & still waiting for an El Pescadoro to show up. I've got an old filmosound projector amp with octal valves which sounds great but has a very specific (and very loud) sweet spot so waiting patiently for my pedal to show up.

I did consider the Jr Barnyard but when I came to bite the bullet and order something the Jr was out of stock so I used that as an excuse to go for the Pescadoro. When it does show up it will be mainly used for slide and lap steel playing so interested to see how you get on. 

The jump blues thread on here turned me onto plenty of other players that had drifted under the radar which has been cool.
  • Yes, it's a great pedal, I've got one...I use it with all my amps and it sounds great. I do pretty much only use it for jump blues however I have been considering using it with an acoustic for slide but i'm toolazy to take it off my pedal board.