Testing the water: A noob journey into Recording.

What's Hot
Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
edited December 2018 in Studio & Recording
Hi all

Need some help getting over my confusion.  I've been toying with the idea of being able to record my playing and some research on the web and this very sub forum has given me the basic understanding of what I might need.  Now I've seen a few posts where people have advised the Focusrite products over the Behringer ones.  I'm not totally sure why but as it's multiple people I guess there most be a good reason for it.

Now I'm coming to this from the direction of someone who just really wants to have the ability to record a guitar through cable rather than a miked amp.  I just want to be able to generally mess about, have a bit of fun, laying down a guitar part(s) over other backing tracks and be able to add effects through the DAW.  I'm really thinking just to keep a record of my progress as a player and possibly be able to share things with others at some point and just being a bit creative.  I'm most certainly not looking to build a private studio or become a songwriter or anything like that.

So with that in mind, coupled with the fact that the Behringer is a third of the price of the Focusrite and pretty much in 'beer money' territory would it be a huge mistake to go the cheap route?  I appreciate that you probably 'get what you pay for' but given the modest requirements I have is that a problem?

If it helps I'm pretty computer literate, have a reasonable PC (ex gaming rig) that the DAW will run on so I'm hoping that part of the equation will not present too many problems.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    You can save a chunk of money on ether unit by buying used (e.g. eBay). If you then need to sell or change what you've bought, you won't lose much on it.
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    @Keefy ; Good idea.  I'm now in the process of doing just that.  Not either of the units specified but that doesn't matter because as stated I'm so new to this I just need to get up and running first.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    Paul7926 said:
    @Keefy ; Good idea.  I'm now in the process of doing just that.  Not either of the units specified but that doesn't matter because as stated I'm so new to this I just need to get up and running first.
    Hi Paul,

Would be useful if you could keep this updated with your progress, I have recorded direct into cubase via my thr amp with reasonable success but for some reason my cubase access has finished.  I'm interested in a simple microphone way to record so I can record my daughter singing plus acoustic playing etc.

@munckee yeah I can keep this going as I make mistakes and find things out. No problem. 
    My intention is mainly for guitar and not vocals as nobody ever wants to hear me sing. Not even me. I'm sure the process is similar however.
  • Paul7926 said:

I've got Steinberg UR22 if you're interested. Good interface and low latency drivers. Have a UR44 now so it's surplus.
    @paul_backskin Just a little late I'm afraid.  Already in the middle of a deal.  Thanks for the offer tho.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    One thing to check is that whichever you choose it records at 24 bit.
    Behringer used to have a reputation for their kit to break fairly often, don't know if that is still true though.
    Well the audio interface has arrived.  Not sure if I'll get to play with it straight away or if Mrs 7926 will snatch it away for a Crimbo present.  Either way I'll be updating this thread with my experiences in the hope it either helps or entertains.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited December 2018
    In my experience of soundcards/interfaces (and I've had a few) problems can often lie in the quality of the driver, especially if you're on a Windows PC (constant updates). I've had a few decent hardware units let down by poor ASIO drivers.

I have a couple of Steinberg interfaces (UR22 & UR44) which are high quality Yamaha made units - rock solid low latency drivers. It's always worth Googling for issues with drivers, especially on older units being sold second hand.

@Paul7926   Enjoy your new unit .. once you get the recording bug they'll be no going back ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    @Fretwired Thanks. I do have a small advantage in that I've been a programmer for 30 years so the need for always having the latest drivers etc, is well known.  I'm also hoping that whatever DAW I pick will not be totally alien for me to use.  At the moment I'm leaning towards Reaper just because of the amount of info on the internet is helping me understand it's functionality without even having used it yet.

However we shall see when I start going from theory to practice.  :)
  • I too use a Steinberg u22. Great unit
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Paul7926 said:
    @Fretwired Thanks. I do have a small advantage in that I've been a programmer for 30 years so the need for always having the latest drivers etc, is well known.  I'm also hoping that whatever DAW I pick will not be totally alien for me to use.  At the moment I'm leaning towards Reaper just because of the amount of info on the internet is helping me understand it's functionality without even having used it yet.

However we shall see when I start going from theory to practice.  :)
    I use Cubase - have done since 1990s when there wasn't much around .. :-)

Reaper is a good product .. plenty of people on here use it and I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    Paul7926 said:
    Well the audio interface has arrived.  Not sure if I'll get to play with it straight away or if Mrs 7926 will snatch it away for a Crimbo present.  Either way I'll be updating this thread with my experiences in the hope it either helps or entertains.
    Which interface? I do hope it is not the Behringer because if you know about drivers you will find out theirs are not terribly good.

Had I caught you two weeks ago I would have said, "checkout the Native Instruments KA6" but F'rite, Steineberg, Tascam and others are very good.

Dave (catch me at HR.com and soundonsound.com
    I've actually got a presonus interface and have decided to use reaper as the daw. 

So far I have managed to make a noise on the guitar. Capture it to the computer then add some effects to make it sound more guitar like.  So the basics are working

Now if only the initial noise had been better. Lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul7926 said:
    I've actually got a presonus interface and have decided to use reaper as the daw. 

You might already know about this, but I find the Kenny Gioia videos very helpful, which are at the link below:

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @stratman3142 ;  Thanks for that.  I had not found those yet.  Very helpful.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    Paul7926 said:

So far I have managed to make a noise on the guitar. Capture it to the computer then add some effects to make it sound more guitar like.  So the basics are working

Now if only the initial noise had been better. Lol
    Well done mate! Getting started is the hardest bit for me.
  • ecc83 said:
    Paul7926 said:
    Which interface? I do hope it is not the Behringer because if you know about drivers you will find out theirs are not terribly good.

Had I caught you two weeks ago I would have said, "checkout the Native Instruments KA6" but F'rite, Steineberg, Tascam and others are very good.

Dave (catch me at HR.com and soundonsound.com
    For what it's worth, the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 is excellent, probably the best no-frills interface I've ever used. Got mine second-hand for about £90 (on here, I believe), and we've recorded our whole album (sans drums) with it.

I originally chose it because it's Class Compliant and works out-of-the-box with Linux, which means it'll likely work with pretty much anything you plug it into.
    <space for hire>
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    edited December 2018
    "which means it'll likely work with pretty much anything you plug it into. " Quite probably Digi', mine has run on XP and W 2000, and the excreble Vista. I know of two people that use one with macs and you are the second Linux bod I know of.

The KA6 is not "perfect". The pahantom power delivery is compromised because it is totally bus powered although my AKG P 150s and Sontronics stc-2 work fine. Should someone have a hungry exotic cap' mic a spook juice supply is not that much of a buy?
    Headphone level is never going to cause deafness but again, a Berry HA400 won't break the bank.

I have written several times in forums and to NI themselves that if they made a 4 mic, powered version with ADAT (USB 3?) and kept to the BSH construction, super low latency and steam powered drivers, they would sell shedloads if they could bring it in under 300 quid!

Dave.