Rexter Guitars - custom painting, restoration & refinishing

What's Hot

Comments

• rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Bit of a silly week, didn't get through as much as I hoped, but anyway, a little refresh of the thread:

Lentz strat body refinished in Firemist Silver. Very nice indeed if I say so myself...

Random jumble, the aged Inca Silver JM body in the back sold very quickly to a forum member via facebook last night 

Let's give it it's own picture... breaking my no tort with custom colour rule here, but I think it does work with paler metallics like this! 

Hoping next week these two beauties will be fully assembled. Been waiting for strings to turn up!  :p

And finally - have a handmade BMM tele body - alder 2 piece, quite heavy though compared to my usual ones which are normally <2kg. This one is probably about 2.4. Needs a little more cut and buff on Monday but if anybody here wants it ober the weekend I can do a good price - say £200 shipped?

Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2018 tFB Trader
    Been trying to find snippets of time to do a bit of work on my website. Still an SEO graveyard, but am slowly getting the products up to date.

I'm doing free shipping to the UK for the whole of December - code = FREESHIPUK

I also have some reductions on ready finished bodies - including two beautiful aged Jazzmaster style bodies (pictured below).

There are also custom order pages for vintage Strat style bodies where you can select you finish and am getting these sorted for other models soon.

https://rexterguitars.co.uk/

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Bit of a mini thread reload, mad busy before Christmas. Long, long days until next weekend but looking forward to finishing a lot of jobs and a few big workshop improvements in the new year. Already got some great jobs lined up  =)

The two Jazzmaster bodies above have now sold, but still plenty of deals left on the website and custom orders always available.

Heading back to a member this week: a pretty slick CAR JM

Shipped this LPB Jm custom build out yesterday: in the top right corner you can see my ridiculous exhaust pipe. How exciting. Nearly died fixing that to the wall on my own  :#  

And I have this aged Charcoal Frost 50s style strat body in the works. Clearcoats just finished so it's hung up for curing now.

If anybody would like to reserve this then drop me a message, it will be ready for final cut and buff in about 3-4 weeks. Itcan be aged or nos factory finish - whatever you want. It's gorgeous. Dark, deep forest green notes over the charcoal base. Not metallic grey!

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2261
    Beautiful Charcoal Frost there, Jon. Will look great with tort or green guard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    rze99 said:
    Beautiful Charcoal Frost there, Jon. Will look great with tort or green guard.
    Thanks Richard, hope you’re well. 
    Yeah I have a lovely subtle mint green guard that it pairs nicely with. I worry tort would make it look like a Christmas tree, but maybe that’s apt?
    i suppose if I was going to be fussy about the correct era pickguard for the colour it would have to be white!

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Got a lot of buffing to do in the coming week to get orders out to people in time for Xmas... arm is already suffering!

Here's a couple I finished yesterday. Another aged Firemist Silver and a Copper Glow jag. The metallics just come out so nicely I feel like painting them all the time.

Ordered a new flake gun yesterday and drew up some plans for the flake booth too. It will be a downdraft bench spraybooth with a two axis lazy susan in it for swivelling the bodies around easily. I'm hoping a really powerful fan in a smallish 1.4 x 1.2 m cabinet will keep the demon flake contained. And it's out of my main paint room too to avoid contamination.

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Really nice work!
    tFB Trader
    Really nice work!
    Thanks very much! 

Long day buffing today. Sudden and unexpected rush of sales means a very busy week coming up before Christmas. WIll be shipping out somewhere in the region of 10 bodies this week I think. Really pleased, just wish I enjoyed packaging more!

This is for Marc, who I think may be a member here... I routed the body for a Nashville configuration, fixed some very suspect ferrule holes on the back and gave it a high gloss Daphne Blue finish. Also sorted a neck for him, removing a snapped tuner screw (those damn things) and plugging it before redrilling. I'll probably give the body a final buff tomorrow before shipping out the whole package.

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • Some lovely work there @rexter ;
    If I could give more than one 'wow' for that copper glow finish, then I would have - that is a cracking colour, and beautifully applied.
    tFB Trader
    Cheers @CasperCaster very kind of you! Sometimes I worry not everyone is as obsessed with the metallics as me! It's a shame it was so dark when I finished it on Friday night as it looks incredible in the sunlight. Might get to snap a few pics today. It sold in an hour or two on Saturday and is off to Sweden.

I've got a couple of tele bodies that aren't reserved and have a strong desire to paint one up in this colour and pair it with a black guard.

Here's a few more pics. The first one, I decide to balance in the most perilous place I could find. Wow, wasn't thinking clearly then! It's all safely stashed for shipping now though  =)

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Nashville routing under the guard - handy to have a template for this made up now, thinking my own thinline may benefit from a middle pickup

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 168
    Keep that template handy bro....
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    rexter said:
    Really nice work!
    Thanks very much! 

Long day buffing today. Sudden and unexpected rush of sales means a very busy week coming up before Christmas. WIll be shipping out somewhere in the region of 10 bodies this week I think. Really pleased, just wish I enjoyed packaging more!

This is for Marc, who I think may be a member here... I routed the body for a Nashville configuration, fixed some very suspect ferrule holes on the back and gave it a high gloss Daphne Blue finish. Also sorted a neck for him, removing a snapped tuner screw (those damn things) and plugging it before redrilling. I'll probably give the body a final buff tomorrow before shipping out the whole package.

Yep, it’s mine. Looks fantastic, can’t wait to put the rest of it together :)
    tFB Trader
    If you're pairing it with the roasted maple neck Marc it's going to look fantastic!  =)
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Got to get this one out of the freezer this morning and get the final work finished and ship it. Customer is a John Frusciante fan so it's not going to look like this anymore when it's done... But I realised Fiesta Red is a colour I love but haven't posted much of so here it is - pre ageing. Just hastily threw it in the photo booth last night to get some shots.

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    lovely work, i even like the nashville tele
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    lovely work, i even like the nashville tele
    cheers buddy! You not normally a fan of the Nashville config? 

Well the fiesta strat got well and truly Fruscianteed today  :o

I like how it came out and customer drooling in anticipation so I'm pleased. A lot of aged ones have been through the workshop lately, just how it's happened really. I think I want to do another good run of shiny, factory fresh metallics in the new year alongside the commissions.

And finished up this Suhr for Stef - a mid sheen surf green NOS finish. Actually it's 50% of my surf green and 50% or my seafoam green mixed to get this colour.  =)

Interesting restoration of a 60s Danelectro Guitarlin is underway too. Masonite is horrible to paint. Sealed it with shellac first to give it a barrier coat. This is going to be an authentic cream copper burst when done!

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Happy New Year folks (belatedly of course :# )

December was busy, busy, busy. January's looking mental! Which is great, though I could really use an extra few pairs of hands. Thanks everybody here who has booked a refin, bought a finished body in or just looked at my work.  =)

Here's something that was not an easy job, very nasty to strip and then when was finally finished had to be completely stripped again thanks to some kind of ungodly reaction in the lacquer which didn't show up until late in the game. One of those things you have to deal with in a way other than smashing your head against the wall.  =)  

All good in the end though - factory finish Ocean Turquoise Metallic refinish on a Classic Lacquer Fender Jag. I'm just buffing the matching headstock today.

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    The three ages of sunburst:

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I had an absolutely brilliant time at the Guitar Show this past weekend. Many great things on display and nice people around.

So so good to hang out with @miserneil, @Stu_tate, @FelineGuitars ; @digitalscream @Bridgehouse and a surprise appearance from @TTony who first offered me the opportunity to come along. Thanks guys! 

it was a really positive weekend - met a lot of past, present - and future -customers and had some great feedback, which really made it special for me. Great meeting many fretboard faces too. 

About 25 jobs on the go right now so I’ll try to post more pictures as these come to fruition (hopefully sooner rather than later) and there’s also a few exciting new prospects on the horizon.

thanks everyone 
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom