Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Soloing in a 3 piece

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    I used to just use a volume pedal, set to 2/3 max for the rhythm parts, then just step on it up to full volume for solos.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2382
    In my 3 piece, I set the Kemper to increase the gain, add slight compression, add more reverb, more delay (dual delay - one at 300ms, one at 420ms I think) for a couple of repeats, and increase the volume by 2dB.

Oh, and I find going stereo really, really helps.

Loads of people have said that the sound we have for a three-piece is HUGE because of this.
  • I love playing in a three piece.  You'll be more conscious that it sounds like something is missing than the audience, and that tends to tempt you into overplaying.   Don't be frightened of the space, relax and enjoy it! 
    Spot on.

I prefer a 3 piece... its the space that makes it
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33779
    There are fewer places to hide in a 3 piece but that is an opportunity as much as anything.
    The thing I see a lot of players do is massively overplay when they switch from rhythm to lead playing.
    That is a mistake- taking out the rhythm guitar gives you the space to be more economical with notes.

Check out this performance by Robben Ford:

It is mostly 8th notes and triplets and longer, expertly phrased.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3581
    Don't forget Ohoos and Ahaaas. The bass and drums might be able to add something while you solo. I've seen a few quality 3 piece bands do this live and it opens up huge possibilities, they don't need to be complex harmonies, just competent and there.