Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which DAW

What's Hot
clarke_111clarke_111 Frets: 58
edited December 2018 in Studio & Recording
Hello,

Just dipping my toe into the home recording world and am looking for some advice.

I have just purchased a Focusrite solo interface. It came bundled with some software including ableton lite and pro tools first. Are either of these worth bothering with (I assume they are basic since free), I have reaped downloaded as well (the free version with the nagging screen) but never got it too work before (partly due to no interface)

what do people recommend as a
starter for 10 bearing in mind I like to keep IT stuff simple!! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hard question to answer as everyone will have a favourite, what's will you be recording mainly? Will you be using alot of vsts? Do you want to delve into full production or just record ideas? 
  • Also most importantly what's your budget? 
  • Budget-cheap as possible to start, free is better! Initially I will just be experimenting with guitar stuff and creating some simple backing tracks. I’d mess around with a bit of production stuff but unlikely to delve that deeply at first. 

Afraid I don’t even know what VSTS means!! 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Go out and buy this month's Computer Music magazine - there's a free copy of Bitwig Studio 2 - it's limited to 8 tracks but is fully featured and will give you a chance to dip your toe in the water. Looks a very good product. You'll also find a load of free effects and instruments fro the mag plus tutorials.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627

All of the modern DAWs are well specified and, whilst some may be slightly better at performing specific tasks, in general it comes down to familiarity.   I'm a Cubase user - because that's what I've been using for about 20 years and I've invested a lot of hours learning how to navigate it (and I'm still learning new stuff).  Reaper is highly recommended as it is very reasonably priced and very efficient (doesn't require as much processing power as some).  I downloaded a free trial version and I found it very easy to use (of course remembering that I have more than 2 decades of DAW experience).

• duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    I am new to this recording lark & am happy using Reaper.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Start with Reaper.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok so reaper-I’m a real noob... I have it downloaded and open. I have my interface plugged in and my guitar connected up. I can hear the guitar through the headphones connected to the interface but Reaper is not picking anything up. I have tried selecting my interface in the audio device bit but not working... how do I make sounds!! 
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    I don't use Reaper myself but I believe there are some really excellent YoutTube videos that lead you through the basics.
  • I use Studio one basically because it came bundled with a Presonus Studiolive mixer I bought about 7 years ago. I’ve got used to the work flow with it so have stuck with it.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    In Reaper,take a  step by step approach--
    PC or Mac?  first have everything plugged in.
    in audio prefs on PC or mac, make sure interface is selected for audio in-out.
    In Reaper, check options for audio in-out match, ie interface.
    create track-
    select input for track in I/O--ie, if its a scarlet solo-it will be one track
    arm track for recording, set input monitor to on, and you should hear your DI signal through your monitors or headphones--which should be connected to the interface.
    At this point you will realise that you need lots of VST amp and speaker sims for your DI track, and that will keep you occupied for ages, or you will decide to use a line out from an amp or external device into the interface instead, which will also lead to another diversion.
    Theres a whole thread here devoted to free plugins, so you dont need to spend more than the £60 fee for the Reaper license, which you dont need to pay anyway-it is completely unrestricted in demo mode, but is the best £60 you will ever spend.
    good luck
    cheers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    +1 for Reaper, but Ableton live is great, and you might be able to use the version that came with your interface to upgrade to the full version cheaply in the future. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Reaper all the way. Incredibly powerful but cheap as chips. Arguably the most efficient DAW in terms of resources required to run it. Plenty of support on their website and you don't get shafted for upgrades.
    However.. this recommendation is from a traditional approach to recording.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • I’m currently usin Harrison Mixbus and i can’t recomend it enough. There’s a demo version available for free and if you wait a little while they offer the full version for about £30 and it’s a steal at that price. They have a good youtube page taking you through all the various elements of its workings which beats the hell out of a manual if you’re stuck. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Ok so reaper-I’m a real noob... I have it downloaded and open. I have my interface plugged in and my guitar connected up. I can hear the guitar through the headphones connected to the interface but Reaper is not picking anything up. I have tried selecting my interface in the audio device bit but not working... how do I make sounds!! 
    Have a look at Reaper Mania on youtube. It will save you bags of time in the long run. 
     Learning how to create a track and arm a track will get you your sound.
    You can learn how to switch between record monitoring on /off/auto etc.
    Some of this stuff you simply need to take the time to learn to get up and running. I tried to find my own way around as i usually do and caused myself a lot of unnecessary frustration. Watch some of the tutorials they are very thorough.
    There is even a video on how to watch the videos. start at the beginning. Kenny Gioia is the man for this. Also you may want to check out the Reaper forum (his vids can be accessed from there also.
  • Thanks all-I have found the reaper tutorials and am working though them-I now have a sound as well and recorded a couple of simple test tracks-so far all good-i do fear there is now a multitude of rabbit holes for my to dive down, like how to get a gold drum plugin loop...
    but at least I am up and running!!
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    I’m currently usin Harrison Mixbus and i can’t recomend it enough. There’s a demo version available for free and if you wait a little while they offer the full version for about £30 and it’s a steal at that price. They have a good youtube page taking you through all the various elements of its workings which beats the hell out of a manual if you’re stuck. 
    I'm using 32c, and I love it too for its sound and workflow. It's definitely lacking in some of the bells and whistles other packages provide in terms of editing - most notably a total lack of ARA so no real-time melodyne etc, but it really comes down to what you need from it.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Studio One here.....Possibly better for more advanced users.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    This is where I started

https://youtu.be/f3yD6Q810YE
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    But definitely give Ableton a try since you've already got it.