Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tribute, Cover or Originals. What type of band are you in

What's Hot

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Originals. 

I suspect we would play to more people if we played covers. However, it's hard enough getting your own songs right, never mind someone else's
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Originals.

.....Acoustic instrumental originals that is, I'm constantly surprised that we actually get gigs!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1645
    edited December 2018
    Metallica and ACDC tributes over the last 8 years..... but now Originals..   

"Seven More Days"

PS. the album and video were completed before I joined.. :-(     (on bass)
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Black Sabbath tribute band right now. Done a fair few gigs since we started in June, and having a lot of fun. Prior to this one i was in a covers band, but it got boring playing stuff i didn't really like playing...
  • Covers band x 2 - one on guitar and one that I've just joined on bass.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Covers, ocassional weddings, mainly pubs and clubs - play most weekends - rehearse every week. Covers are good as you need to learn quite a few different styles and that's why I joined one - keep my playing sharp, use all the nice gear I have and learn new stuff. (It's definitely not about the money in covers bands! :)

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    edited December 2018
    Originals. In my band Hamsa all compositions/arrangements by me (mostly).  I'm up front on the clarinet and sax in most of my work but also play guitar in a couple of projects. 

http://www.hamsaquintet.com

In duos/trios with my wife and colleagues, all originals. Sometimes I play Jewish weddings and we play Klezmer which is traditional music so it's technically a lot of "covers" but plenty of originals too. 
  • Covers.  Some of which are rather mutated.  There was some puzzled looks at the weekend when we did “Jolene” in the style of Black Sabbath for the first time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Covers.

My first band was originals and we played crap venues to empty rooms.

Now I mostly enjoy rowdy crowds of gig-goers singing and dancing to the music they all know.

Makes me forget for a little bit that just maybe I sold out......no wait, I just got old. 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1561
    Originals with J R Harbidge

Tribute with the UK Crowded House Experience

Play keys for both
  • In my younger days I was in an originals band and all the income went into a pot with money taken out for venue hire and petrol. (no gear included).  When we split after 4 years there was £21 each.

Now in a covers band 'cos none of us can write songs and the internet means we can practise our parts individually thanks to Youtube etc. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Working with two singer/songwriters and two covers bands atm.

Makes no odds to me whether I'm stood on the same stage as the person who wrote the song or not if I'm honest, I usually have more freedom in the covers band. 
  • DC...strictly Bon-era...no uniforms ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    Originals - The Last Episode.
    2nd gig this weekend in lovely Harrogate
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356

I'm in 4 covers bands, One (Superheroes) mainly classic rock,  one (Marvels)  mainly Brit Pop  and one (Abstrak Stereo)  request band that basically plays request from Billy Joel to Rag n Bone man and Melody Makers which is a new band put together for xmas gigs 

Also in Kate-Bushka which is a Kate Bush tribute
    Seems a lot but in 2016 and 2017 I was gigging in 8 bands so it's actually a reduced workload to what is was 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    edited December 2018
    Started off in original material bands but played in covers bands for about the past 40 years. Now there's talk of maybe doing some original songs. Maybe things will turn full circle.
    It's not a competition.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Originals. It’s great because no-one in the audience can tell you if you’ve got the song wrong or not. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • onyironyir Frets: 45
    Covers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    AlexC said:
    Originals. It’s great because no-one in the audience can tell you if you’ve got the song wrong or not. :)
    The way I play covers that's still true :).

If anyone cares whether you're "playing the song right", you're playing to the wrong crowd. Probably all musos ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    Two cover bands and occasional originals when my old NWOBHM band reforms for the odd festival.