SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WITHDRAWN: FGN FujiGen Masterfield jazz guitar, blonde, immaculate, OHSC....

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
edited December 2018 in Guitars £
This is a strange one for me - I'm usually stuck to Gibsons, especially archtops, but I've acquired a few things as part of a deal - an Epiphone Elitist Byrdland, a Guild USA X170 and this little beauty. Just to explain, I'm hoping to find something that's relatively modestly priced that means that I can sell my L-5 Signature, which is bleedin' expensive and too good for my modest (OK, embarrassing) jazz attempts.

The Guild might do it, the Byrdland is just different, and so is this. It's a lovely thing in its own right, but it won't replace the L-5 - I said 'yes' to it on a whim, because it felt and looked great. It really IS nice, and as well-built as you'd expect, and it would be no hardship to keep it, apart from it being another 'similar' guitar. 

FujiGen describer themselves as 'The Greatest Guitar Manufacturing Company in Japan', so if you don't like it, blame them, not me.  :-)

It's lightweight, with an American Spruce Top, Canadian curly maple back and sides, African mahogany, and Canadian maple 5 ply neck and African ebony fretboard, with an FGN custom shop floating mini humbucker. There's not much info about that I can find, but the reviews of FGN and the Masterfield series seem to be very positive, and I haven't got anything bad to say about it. 

There's some interesting styling touches, from the headstock shape to the 'tortoiseshell' binding on the body and neck, and it's got a lovely tone - not a typical 'jazzbox' sound, but perhaps a little more acoustic in tone. It's wearing flats at the moment, but I'm thinking of putting 10-46 roundwounds on, just see what it does.

Pricewise, I was thinking £1500 (now £1400), as the European sellers that I could find have them new at just under £2500, but tell me if I'm wrong. I wouldn't mind a trade on something, but I'm fairly traditional, the sort that thinks Worcestershire Sauce is 'subversive' so it's 335s, 330s, etc. I'm in Stafford, but don't mind a bit of travelling. Anyway, if you like the look of it and want to have a chat, feel free!  

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    edited December 2018
    A fresh set of 10/46 Regular Slinkys has made it more of an all rounder. Sounds and feels nice for blues as well, with less tension than before. I think there may have been 12s on, possibly 11s, but it feels looser now and sort of friendlier! Weight is a whisker over 6 pounds.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A little bump and a price drop to £1400 in case anyone has a yearning for this beauty. I think (see OP) that the Byrdland will go on Monday. Fabulous guitar, but the scale length is a bit strange for me. The Guild is excellent and is almost the equal to, but slightly different than, the L5 Signature. So, I'm picking on this one really, as I suppose I should sell something. 

Definitely no hardship to keep it though, and if no-one wants it, I'm going to fund my incoming ES-175 by selling my body. May take a while, to be fair. 

Call me Dave.
    Bump, and a little reminder that trades (ES-335, 345, 330, 275, Tele, etc) would be considered if you fancy something a little different. 
    Call me Dave.
    Damn, damn, silly bugger, sod, bugger, damn. Sorry about that. Made the mistake of playing it again today, and it's just - excellent. It has to stay now.  *

*  Until I have another mood swing, obvs.  
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    The FGN wasn't for me, but I'd love to see/hear more about that Byrdland...  :)

The Byrdland's been and gone, I'm afraid. It's the second one I've had this year, which is pretty unusual in itself. I sold the first one (sunburst) to a lovely chap from South Wales, who had previously bought an Epihpone Zephyr Blues Deluxe from me, and then got this one (pic below) which was equally as good. The chap from SW brought a friend along with him, who also fell in love with the Byrdland (and he'd also bought a Zephyr Blues Deluxe from me previously!) - he contacted me, to see if I could find another one as I'm always on the lookout for archtops.

I had planned to keep it, but a) the short scale meant that it would be more of an occasional piece, b) I needed to fund a 1956 ES-175 and c) he was so keen on having one that it seemed a bit daft to keep it when it could be played more often - I've got first refusal back on it though! It's really excellent, with original Elitist case and even some paperwork.

I'm now on the lookout for another one, but they're not all that easy to find. 

Call me Dave.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Very interesting - thanks for taking the trouble to reply  :)

• Hello,

Has the Fujigen gone?

cheers,
    Allan
    Hi Allan

Yes, it has, I'm afraid. Cheers
    Call me Dave.