Studio Rat Syndrome

What's Hot
I built a home studio and now I don’t want to go out and play anymore. The lure of recording and releasing on the web without having to leave the house is proving hard to resist. Anybody else in the same situation? The idea of hauling gear around pubs and clubs and dealing with all the usual hang ups of playing in a band now seen like a nightmare I don’t want to revisit. Honestly didn’t expect this. wondering if I should push myself to go out and play or just accept this ‘phase’ for what it is. 
'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    Don't you bloody dare! "They" are closing down live music venues all over the country because the chattering classes move into the refurbised town centres (now the shops have gone) and don't like the noise from the Mucky Duck.

If people just sit at home the whole live music scene is doomed. Making music was always a social thing.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Wisdom.     I enjoy recording but for me the whole point of music is the interaction with other people.   
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Kinda. Band of 10 years that had done hundreds of gigs folded 6 months ago, and as it was winding down I started working on solo stuff at home. Have released 2 eps recently as I build up some kind of profile for that. Don't have a band to gig the material, but I'm enjoying the creative side of it a lot. Spent a lot of time producing tracks - recording, mixing, at home.

I've also sold off my AC30 + pedalboard rig for a much lighter line 6 Helix, so as and when I do gig again it won't be as much of a ball ache.

But, I've not stopped doing gigs. In September I went over to Italy to play some shows with a guitarist/ songwriter who I produce, so I got a fix of loud guitar playing etc. And then in October, I started going to open mics and doing stuff acoustically, which has been really exciting/ nerve racking and great experience because I've typically been able to hide in a group before, it's very different when it's just me and a bar full of expectant people.

So I don't think I've lost the live playing bug. Am also looking for a drummer in the background with a view to playing my solo stuff with full band arrangements.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting. I’m old school but the lure of Kemper/Synth/Home is very strong. I agree about the sad closure of many live venues but could the switch to recording/releasing/live streaming online just be natural evolution? I’ve got far more time to play now that I’m not travelling to/setting up/packing up/travelling home to gigs/rehearsals etc. Maybe I’m just getting old?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    the sad closure of many live venues but could the switch to recording/releasing/live streaming online just be natural evolution?
    Changes in the entertainment licensing laws may have something to do with the loss of venues. Possibly, more because of the hours at which the music events occur than any other factor. 

Some audiences expect live covers bands to amount to a human jukebox. From a venue owner's perspective, it is probably less hassle to rent a jukebox.

John_P said:
    for me, the whole point of music is the interaction with other people.   
    This can be a positive thing or a negative thing. Pandering to audience expectations does improvisational and experimental music few favours. 

ecc83 said:
    noise from the Mucky Duck. ... If people just sit at home the whole live music scene is doomed.
    If, as is increasingly the case, people just drink at home, all forms of pub entertainment are doomed. 

If, for whatever reason, people do not congregate in sufficient numbers, there is no scene. This applies equally to live music, theatre, churches and beauty pageants.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • josephdoucejosephdouce Frets: 1
    edited December 2018
    I can see the Appeal, I'm only just starting out but getting all your gear to a venue can be a PITA especially if you're using your own PA. But on the other hand I'm a very tech focused guy, there's only 2 of us so there's not so much stuff

XR18
    2 Mics
    Guitar
    G3xn Pedal Board 
    Keys
    PA 

When there's a 5 Piece with Keys, Amps, Cabs, Big Old Analogue Desks and you need a Long Wheel Base Van to get your gear there I can see why people choose to call it a day and move online, even if your not doing it for the money. 

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited January 2019
    I know the feeling. Apart from my old cover band I've always played and written music at home by myself. I'm now playing in a band but mostly hate the creative process of working together, I'm just too used my old ways. Sometimes it's good to get the outside perspective but I find it better to work alone then bring it to the band to fine tune and "sense check" it. Mind you I have no real interest in gigging either. Been there done that and hated it. I just want to record.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    I blame bloody Tubular Bells!

Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2285
    I built a home studio and now I don’t want to go out and play anymore. The lure of recording and releasing on the web without having to leave the house is proving hard to resist. Anybody else in the same situation? The idea of hauling gear around pubs and clubs and dealing with all the usual hang ups of playing in a band now seen like a nightmare I don’t want to revisit. Honestly didn’t expect this. wondering if I should push myself to go out and play or just accept this ‘phase’ for what it is. 
    If that's how you want to enjoy making music, then go for it!

However, I suspect the live-playing itch may return before too long...

• If that's how you want to enjoy making music, then go for it!

However, I suspect the live-playing itch may return before too long...
    Possibly but I am rather enjoying being the entire band
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom