Ableton - best way / version to buy

What's Hot
Hi folks

Thinking about investing in Ableton Live. 

I already own Live 9 Lite. 

Can anyone recommend the best way to get the "full" version (preferably of 10). The potential upgrade paths seem very confusing.

Also, what's the feeling on Suite vs Standard? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    Unless you are very patient this won't help. I bought my lite > standard upgrade in Ableton's Black Friday deal in 2017 for only £207.  They didn't seem to be offering any special deals this year. I am waiting for them to offer me an attractive upgrade price to upgrade standard > suite. 
  • Tbh I'm prepared to be patient - I think spending more time with Lite is a good idea, just trying to get a feel for how much cash I need to save! 
  •  just trying to get a feel for how much cash I need to save! 
    You'll save a lot of cash if you use Reaper.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
     just trying to get a feel for how much cash I need to save! 
    completely different kind of tool

Reaper is a linear DAW
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    You don't need suite, especially not if you already own decent plugins and sample libraries
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    I'm sure I got an upgrade offer for about £90 a few months ago, and I'm currently running live 9 lite.
    I have had the chance for a free upgrade to 10 lite, but I've never bothered as 9 does everything I need. Have you tried logging into your ableton account to see what download options are available to you?
  •  just trying to get a feel for how much cash I need to save! 
    Well, yes, but until reaper has session view I don't think that really counts as saving cash! 
  • You don't need suite, especially not if you already own decent plugins and sample libraries
    Using 3rd party plugins kinda ruins the point 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited December 2018
     just trying to get a feel for how much cash I need to save! 
    Well, yes, but until reaper has session view I don't think that really counts as saving cash! 
    Not sure if it's any use to you, because I've no experience of session view, but there's a low cost plugin for Reaper at the link below. It claims to be based on Session View in Ableton.

https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/
    It's not a competition.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    https://www.ableton.com/en/live/compare-editions/

Suite has more devices, effects and instruments. I have suite but I could definitely do fine with standard. since I use Native instruments Komplete (select) and I don't use that many different types of instruments or effects. 

What do you currently have in terms of plugins? What do u need for your music?

You can buy ableton live 10 secondhand and do a license transfer. I bought my live 10 Suite on KVR for about 350USD. As with buying anything on the internet, be sure to be safe and be wary of scams!
    You don't need suite, especially not if you already own decent plugins and sample libraries
    why?
    If you already have decent plugin instruments and FX, they are usually way better than what Ableton includes
  • You don't need suite, especially not if you already own decent plugins and sample libraries
    why?
    If you already have decent plugin instruments and FX, they are usually way better than what Ableton includes
    The work flow with Live is much different with its native plugins in the rack rather than having to use the interfaces on the 3rd party ones. 

(plus it ruins the pretty Audi garage German af minimalist lines, nothing looks better on a shiny MacBook screen in Starbucks lol)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Branshen said:

Suite has more devices, effects and instruments. I have suite but I could definitely do fine with standard. since I use Native instruments Komplete (select) and I don't use that many different types of instruments or effects. 

What do you currently have in terms of plugins? What do u need for your music?

You can buy ableton live 10 secondhand and do a license transfer. I bought my live 10 Suite on KVR for about 350USD. As with buying anything on the internet, be sure to be safe and be wary of scams!
    I don't have any plugins at all at the minute. 

What I do have is four hardware synths and then my guitar/bass. I'm still finding my way with what I want to do but I find the loop/clip session based stuff in Ableton a lot better for my creative flow than a traditional linear recording workflow. 

Like I said, I'm in no real rush so going to keep playing with Live Lite for a while. I just want to have something in mind to save towards / investigate further before taking a plunge. 

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    If you've got hardware and instruments and won't use the additional suite instruments and all the sound design capabilities, I'd recommend you get ableton standard. How much is the upgrade pricing to standard from your live lite 10?
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    edited December 2018
    I have 10 Suite, I don't think it's essential to get the suite version. 

There is a comparison table here....

Looking at the Audio Effects, I don't think there is much I'd miss but some of the Instruments and Packs are worth having

Ableton did some really good offers pre-Version 10 coming out, but V11 is a long way away, but they do have reasonably regular offers throughout the life of the versions.  

Personally, I'd look at what the cost difference is for suite, if it's large I'd maybe go for Standard and get to know it and upgrade later

Push controller is really excellent (like amazing....esp. for guitarists), so maybe stick with Standard and get a Push secondhand?

Reaper is a very different thing, and while I'm sure it's great, it does not do what Live does. IMHO Live is the best designed piece of software I have ever used. With Push it's even better. 

Lodious said:
    I have 10 Suite, I don't think it's essential to get the suite version. 

There is a comparison table here....

Looking at the Audio Effects, I don't think there is much I'd miss but some of the Instruments and Packs are worth having

Ableton did some really good offers pre-Version 10 coming out, but V11 is a long way away, but they do have reasonably regular offers throughout the life of the versions.  

Personally, I'd look at what the cost difference is for suite, if it's large I'd maybe go for Standard and get to know it and upgrade later

Push controller is really excellent (like amazing....esp. for guitarists), so maybe stick with Standard and get a Push secondhand?

Reaper is a very different thing, and while I'm sure it's great, it does not do what Live does. IMHO Live is the best designed piece of software I have ever used. With Push it's even better. 

yes, standard + push 2 beats suite anyday
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    edited January 2019
    Had Live 10 Suite, sold it for about the price I paid for it, went to KVR, bought a Live 9 Standard licence for about a ton. 

Something like this would do you good: 

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=517451&p=7272236&hilit=live+9#p7272236

The suite is mostly pointless for me and there's little about 10 that I need right now. 9 does me fine. 

• Had Live 10 Suite, sold it for about the price I paid for it, went to KVR, bought a Live 9 Standard licence for about a ton. 

Something like this would do you good: 

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=517451&p=7272236&hilit=live+9#p7272236

The suite is mostly pointless for me and there's little about 10 that I need right now. 9 does me fine. 
    Cool. Thanks. 

I've decided to hold off buying it until I actually spend more time making sounds with my synths: other things keep getting in the way* so I may as well hold off for now but I think I'll be on it again this later in the year. 

Cheers!

*also doing silly things like buying a Caroline Kilobyte. Oops. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep buyin'! :)

Ableton and Reaper are perfect for me now. Generally Ableton is used for small ideas, little patterns and things, which then can be saved and then dropped into Reaper.