Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Taking a keyboard for an open mic night...pretentious?

What's Hot
Hi all, there's a monthly open mic music night thing started up by me (Rowheath Pavilion in Bournville for those of a Brummy persuasion who may be interested) and I fancy going to the next one as I always moan about not getting to do anything musical.

They have ok'd me in principle taking an electric guitar and amp as long as it's not too loud, as I don't particularly enjoy the acoustic side of playing and my voice doesn't suit it as much. But I also thought of maybe being a bit different and taking my keyboard instead, as everybody will likely be doing guitar stuff.

It's not a full stage piano, 49 keys (yamaha mx49) and I'd play it only on standard piano, wurlitzer piano and maybe a bit of soft organ sounds, and sing along to it.

But my worry is it might come across a bit pretentious as I'll also need to take the stand and sustain pedal, and a stool if I can't get on with laying stood up. There's also whether the set up and set down might be more fiddly than I expect and thus too much effort for what may only be a 3 song open mic thing.

I've not been before, it is listed as "open mic and jam night" so there is the possibility of a bigger group jam thing for which a keyboard might be a handy addition and I would therefore be more useful than yet another guitar player. I'll ask the organisers about it but thought would ask how you lot would perceive somebody rocking up with a keyboard.

Cheers
Matt
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Do it. It will be a pleasant relief from guitar. I’ve seen open mic nights where the keys and drums played all night, whereas guitarists got a couple of songs each.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Plenty come to the open mics I go to with keys, as above it can be a nice contrast and give some variety. I'd never consider it pretentious. 
  • Yes do it 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Do it. It's less pretentious than taking your own guitar when there's a house one - unless they have a house keyboard of course :). It's not huge and won't seem like you're turning the place upside down to get it in.

See if they'll let you set it up at the side of the stage at the start so it's quicker to move into position, or failing that, if they'll let you play first, or first after the interval or whatever, so you can be doing it while no-one else is playing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i run a twice a month open mic jam and occasionaly people turn up with keyboards. they are most welcome. i usually plug them straight into the PA. i did have a guy turning up a couple of times with two keyboards on a big rack, his own pair of keyboard amps and his own lighting rig, which was a bit much really but a single keyboard is fine
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Especially if you are playing some inspiral carpets or the like!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Do it, but be prepared to busk all night !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Not pretentious if you can play really well.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    I don't think it's pretentious even if you play like Les Dawson!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27576
    It'd be pretentious if you took a concert grand piano. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Just slick your hair back and wear a roll neck sweater and a leather jacket like John Shuttleworth. Do it....it will make a change to listening to guitars all night 
  • Maximum Casio! This is the MT-40, I used to own it:

Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • I take my 88 key stage piano all the time, makes a change from 20 guitar acts, only been playing a year, wish I knew more songs to join in with, but usually just my own 3-5 for now.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Maximum Casio! This is the MT-40, I used to own it:
    Gawd that brings back memories!  He's not tweaked the sound at all, just record and go.
    Had one of those keyboards too. 
    Such a creative a time:  just an MT-40, a Fostex X-15, and a lot of time on my hands.
    I wrote a lot of stuff with that set up.
  • ICBM said:
    Do it. It's less pretentious than taking your own guitar when there's a house one - 
    Wow..really? ive never done an open mic night but I assumed everyone would bring a guitar. playing some random guitar seems a bit weird..its unliekly to be setup for drop c# for instance
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBM said:
    Do it. It's less pretentious than taking your own guitar when there's a house one - 
    Wow..really? ive never done an open mic night but I assumed everyone would bring a guitar. playing some random guitar seems a bit weird..its unliekly to be setup for drop c# for instance
    Indeed, most people at my local ones bring their own. The house guitar is usually a piece of crap.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Yeah, most people would bring their own guitar. House guitar is like using the spare PE kit.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Don't forget the candelabra.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • More chance there's a house Keyboard then a house Guitar, since people like to bring there own guitar and Keys are a PITA to transport.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    PolarityMan said:

Different if you use an odd tuning, or if you’re using it for percussion or something - but if you’re just going to play guitar normally then it shouldn’t matter.

I always use the house guitar if there is one. I’ve never yet found one that wasn’t playable for a couple of songs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson