What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Paddington - had no idea what to expect. Ended up enjoying it quite a bit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Remake of the "Predator" - although I'm not sure it's the remake, some sequel or prequel or whatever- it's just a horrible movie. Blimey ... I really wanted to give it a chance - but the acting, story, humour - all fails. Do not watch. 
    1.765/10
    If you mean The Predator... then it’s basically Sharknado with less sharks 
  • Sporky said:
    Dark Shadows. 0 out of 0.

Critters. 4 out of 7.
    @Sporky , does that mean you give Dark Shadows 100%?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Christopher Robin

A.A. Milne's boy grows up to be Ewan McGregor as a dull luggage-company manager... and accidentally rediscovers Winnie-The-Pooh and his friends.

Predictable family film, with the usual slightly improbable overly-breathless plot and Mark Gatiss as the cardboard baddie, heartwarming happy ending and moral to the story - but actually quite enjoyable. The old characters are very well done, with some great one-liners and genuine laugh-out-loud moments, and it's not overly long unlike a lot of modern adaptations.

7/10

And Xi Jinping should let it be seen in China - this version of Pooh is nothing like him and really doesn't look much like the old Disney one, although all the characters have more or less their classic Disney voices.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• westwest Frets: 994
    boogieman said:
    "First Man" 2018 with Ryan Gosling. 1st successful Apollo mission. Better than expected. Gosling is, sadly, still playing himself, other cast very good. Lots of emotional load but space scenes are a pleasure... combination of spectacular and mellow.
     6.5/10
    I’m sure Ryan Gosling must’ve made some decent films otherwise he wouldn’t keep getting the gig, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one. He’s got all the charisma of a wet paper bag. 
    Watch him in Half Nelson probably his best acting ...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Sporky said:
    Dark Shadows. 0 out of 0.

Critters. 4 out of 7.
    @Sporky , does that mean you give Dark Shadows 100%?
    Nope.

There isn't anything there to rate. It gets zero, but as there's nothing to rate it's out of 0.

I've seen worse films, but I'm not sure I've seen emptier or more pointless ones.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Made (1972), Carol White and Roy Harper. Hadn’t seen it for 30 years and it remains a remarkable film. Roy Harper’s acting chops are pretty minimal but he brings a veracity to his role that carries him through. Carol White is exceptional and the film as a whole is a slice of real life with no pat endings or resolution. Well worth seeing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Melancholia by Lars von Trier.  Awful - a great cast totally wasted. I bow to no man in my ability to watch 'art house' films; Andrei Tarkovsky is one of my all time favourite directors. But this film was just a mess. The actors were trying their best but they could make no headway against the clunky script, the leaden pacing, and von Trier's 'look how arty I am' direction. 

3.5/10, and that's being generous
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    I just watched Quatermass and the pit, for the umpteenth time.  It's funny how I was terrified the first time I saw it and now I struggle to keep the laughter down!  Those scenes of the martian locusts running are like something from Michael Bentine's Potty Time !  The fact that one (ridiculously comical) creature pops its face up in the middle of the sequence just adds to the hilarity !

....but the piece de resistance is the end scene...  Why on Earth did they decide to make the devil cross-eyed ??!!!! LOL !!!!

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • I've just thoroughly enjoyed the Film Crossroads. An entertaining film with a very satisfying (and riveting) ending.

Though, unfortunately, I sat through a film of the same name starring Britney Spears first. Britney was ok but oh! the film... :-(

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    Steve922 said:

I've just thoroughly enjoyed the Film Crossroads. An entertaining film with a very satisfying (and riveting) ending.

Great fun. Apparently the final showdown had to be shot a huge number of times as Steve Vai just couldn't play that 'wrong' note.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I'm looking forward to taking my boys to see Bumblebee over the Xmas break...at 7 and 10 I'm sure they're more the target audience than me.

No doubt we’ll be heading straight to the toy shop on the way home to spend their Xmas money on more slighlty different versions of Bumblebee.  
    Saw it today and we all loved it. Some nice humour for the adults and the action scenes are so much better than the other ones in the franchise. 

Movie tie in Bumblebee toy purchased as well of course...which takes me ages to transform! 
  • I watched Golden Job - A Chinese crime / martial art film. It wasn't too bad, 8 have seen better,, but it certainly passed some time. 5/10.  
  • Bits of things.
    On Christmas Day MrsTheWeary watched A Christmas Carol ( old black and white version), the kids watched A Muppet's Christmas Carol. The only TV I wanted to watch was Upstart Crow which turned out to be based on A Christmas Carol. 
    I am quite familiar with the basic plot line now. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    The Meg.

it is not a good film. However it is a hugely entertaining one with lots of little nods to Jaws.

it was great. 
  • The Bishops Wife. 1947 black and white Christmas whimsy. Inevitably a bit creaky in places. Cary Grant plays an angel and is as watchable as ever. David Niven doesn’t get enough to do as the bishop. For me Loretta Young’s appeal hasn’t dated as well as some of the other film beauties of the period. Reminiscent of movies like It’s a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street, not as good as either of those but well worth seeing if those are the kinds of things you like. 7/10
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    Holmes and Watson. Had some extremely funny moments, but they were far and few between. Can only give it 4/10.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    edited December 2018
    The Crimes Of Grindelwald

Hmmm... nowhere near as good as Fantastic Beasts, because it's trying far too hard to be a Harry Potter prequel instead of something related but different. I actually liked Fantastic Beasts because it *wasn't* too Harry Potter - I'm not a big fan really. This has so much setting up for the next installment(s) in J.K. Rowling's licence to print money that it just about collapses under the tangle of all the multiple threads of forward continuity it's trying to spin.

Jude Law is good, Johnny Depp is at least not quite Captain Jack Sparrow this time, but apart from that I just thought it was all much too forced. Even Eddie Redmayne seems to have forgotten how to act.

4/10

(If you wonder why I went to see it when I'm not a Harry Potter fan... kids ;). But they didn't think it was that good either.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Something about Mary  =)
  • "Take Shelter" by Jeff Nichols from 2011. 

Small, rural American town, father of the family starts to dream about upcoming apocalypse - decides to build a shelter to save the close ones. 
    Great feel, both - Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain - on top of their game. Well recommended.

8/10