Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The 'I sold a guitar I said I would never sell' thread

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I let go a 1989 PRS Custom I’d owned since 1991 earlier this year.
    Had a full on, if it ain’t getting used it’s getting moved on’ moment (I’d had these before but the sentimental value of this one had saved it).
    Have I missed it? Not really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    edited December 2018
    I've had a few. 

PRS McCarty 
    PRS NF3
    PRS Studio
    Tom Anderson Classic

All were superb guitars
  • After many years of playing teles I specced my dream tele. Single bound body from WD and a beautiful nitro finished Musikraft neck.
    I really did dig it but gradually became dissatisfied with teles and their pickups in general. So after getting a PRS Mira and MM this was the last of my teles I sold.

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    @Winny_Pooh ;
    what kind of bridge is that??
  • @bbill335 it's an 80's fender branded six saddle bridge that I cut down myself. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This year, I sold my ‘67 Masterbuilt Tele...

My birth year and all that. 

Why did I sell ? I bought a Suhr Alt T Pro, which was quite simoly a better guitar in everyway. Oh, and I really needed the corn :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    My 1980 Wal Custom fretless I sold this year. I needed the money. 

http://i63.tinypic.com/2mpzr0l.jpg
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    This year, I sold my ‘67 Masterbuilt Tele...

My birth year and all that. 

Why did I sell ? I bought a Suhr Alt T Pro, which was quite simoly a better guitar in everyway. Oh, and I really needed the corn :)

Beautiful Rick', is that hi gains in a Capri I see? 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    edited December 2018
    Ok here goes... the short version is that I sold a custom shop Jackson Kelly which at the time of ordering was going to be my one and only forevermore. For the full sorry tale, read on...

In 2010 my girlfriend Nina was killed in a car accident. With part of the life insurance money I decided to get a guitar made as a tribute to her. I used to spend a lot of time on b3ta.com (as did Nina), and a fellow member made an image in tribute to her which I decided would be perfect, so I specced it up and placed the order.

Fast forward about 18 months, and two relevant things have happened:

1.  A snow leopard at the Cat Survival Trust in Welwyn (catsurvivaltrust.org) has been named Nina, due to another friend from b3ta.com. If you saw the TV program 'Snow Leopards of Leafy London' you may have seen her.

2. I'm in a new relationship with someone I've known for years as a friend.

(More on both of these later)

The guitar is imminent (after a couple of delays), and everyone knows I'm very excited about receiving it. Finally it arrives; after a quick play in the shop I get it home to a) play it and b) take a shitload of photos for facebook. Here it is:

It plays like a dream, sounds great (under the paint is an EMG81/60 set) and I'm very happy with it. My new Mrs though, isn't: she feels intimidated by it, doesn't want to constantly be reminded of Nina, etc etc etc. Final comment on it is that she won't be coming to any gigs where I'm playing it... which I tell her will be all of them. It's all a bit tense, and never really gets resolved. After a while I decide that I'll have the guitar repainted in something less obvious, but still a tribute - I decide to get a picture of Nina the snow leopard on there instead, so I go and see a local airbrish artist. He does his thing, and this is what I end up with:

To be fair he did a great job of the artwork, but compared to the original finish it's shit - I posted a picture of it on here once before and someone commented that it looked like a design from a t-shirt that you'd find on a market stall.

So the end of this sad tale is that I'm not with that girl any more (the whole relationship was a terrible mistake, not just repainting the guitar), and I couldn't bear to look at the guitar because basically it reminded me what an idiot I'd been... my friend bought it off me; he's looking into having it repainted as it was from the factory and has promised me that if I ever decide I need it he'll sell it straight back to me. So I guess that's sort of a happy ending.., I don't feel like I want the guitar back though; even just thinking about it just makes me feel *really* stupid.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    My PRS McCarty earlier this year . And the CE24 before that . I got into my head that my level of playing didn’t warrant such high end equipment, but those two just played so well..
    Ah well, that’s how it goes. 
  • klusonkluson Frets: 15
    Sadly over the years, I've sold too many., including Pre CBS strats, 50's Tele's, Les Pauls.  worth a fortune now, but just guitars then! =)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Ok here goes... the short version is that I sold a custom shop Jackson Kelly which at the time of ordering was going to be my one and only forevermore. For the full sorry tale, read on...

In 2010 my girlfriend Nina was killed in a car accident. With part of the life insurance money I decided to get a guitar made as a tribute to her. I used to spend a lot of time on b3ta.com (as did Nina), and a fellow member made an image in tribute to her which I decided would be perfect, so I specced it up and placed the order.

1.  A snow leopard at the Cat Survival Trust in Welwyn (catsurvivaltrust.org) has been named Nina, due to another friend from b3ta.com. If you saw the TV program 'Snow Leopards of Leafy London' you may have seen her.

The guitar is imminent (after a couple of delays), and everyone knows I'm very excited about receiving it. Finally it arrives; after a quick play in the shop I get it home to a) play it and b) take a shitload of photos for facebook. Here it is:

It plays like a dream, sounds great (under the paint is an EMG81/60 set) and I'm very happy with it. My new Mrs though, isn't: she feels intimidated by it, doesn't want to constantly be reminded of Nina, etc etc etc. Final comment on it is that she won't be coming to any gigs where I'm playing it... which I tell her will be all of them. It's all a bit tense, and never really gets resolved. After a while I decide that I'll have the guitar repainted in something less obvious, but still a tribute - I decide to get a picture of Nina the snow leopard on there instead, so I go and see a local airbrish artist. He does his thing, and this is what I end up with:

To be fair he did a great job of the artwork, but compared to the original finish it's shit - I posted a picture of it on here once before and someone commented that it looked like a design from a t-shirt that you'd find on a market stall.

So the end of this sad tale is that I'm not with that girl any more (the whole relationship was a terrible mistake, not just repainting the guitar), and I couldn't bear to look at the guitar because basically it reminded me what an idiot I'd been... my friend bought it off me; he's looking into having it repainted as it was from the factory and has promised me that if I ever decide I need it he'll sell it straight back to me. So I guess that's sort of a happy ending.., I don't feel like I want the guitar back though; even just thinking about it just makes me feel *really* stupid.
    Sorry you've had such an awful time man. Time heals as they say. Don't feel 'really stupid' its just a guitar. You keep people you loved in your heart and memories. All the best:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • klusonkluson Frets: 15
    sawyer said:

Wow, what a story, really feel sorry for you, kindest thoughts to you....... You will always have happy memories of your Girlfriend Nina, , they will last forever, material things will come and go. It's what's in your heart that makes the difference.
    Good luck and have a great and happy new year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2018
    I should have said that I didn't post that story looking for sympathy; just wanted to explain why the guitar went! But thank you guys very much for the kind words. It was a tough time and I made a whole load of bad decisions in the years following, but I'm finally through all that now and I can look back on my time with Nina with a smile. More importantly, I can look forward with a smile, as I'm now the happiest I've ever been and really excited for the future.

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I should have said that I didn't post that story looking for sympathy; just wanted to explain why the guitar went! But thank you guys very much for the kind words. It was a tough time and I made a whole load of bad decisions in the years following, but I'm finally through all that now and I can look back on my time with Nina with a smile. More importantly, I can look forward with a smile, as I'm now the happiest I've ever been and really excited for the future.
    Wiz'd, because it's the closest I could think of to like. I'm glad things are looking up. I can totally understand why such a personal guitar might be a bit of a difficult decision: can you bear to lose it, or can you bear to see it all the time? I hope it comes back to you when you're ready.
    edited January 2019
    DeeTee said:
    Wiz'd, because it's the closest I could think of to like. I'm glad things are looking up. I can totally understand why such a personal guitar might be a bit of a difficult decision: can you bear to lose it, or can you bear to see it all the time? I hope it comes back to you when you're ready.
    Thank you mate. I'm not sure I'd ever want it back though, to be honest... it was the right guitar at the time (until I ruined it), but I feel now that I can just look back and enjoy the memory of it. I seem to be more of a Strat and Tele man these days but if I wanted another pointy guitar I think I'd go for this:

https://reverb.com/item/17029986-feline-k-explorer-black-purple

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797

That’s an amazing story and beautifully told.  Thanks for sharing with us.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    bodhi said:
    I generally make very sure I don't sell something I'll regret getting rid of, but messed up on this R7 Custom.

It appeared on this forum not long ago, but at the wrong time for me to buy it back.

I do regret that this isn't my pool, too - previous owner in Florida.
    That's a lovely LP Custom - what finish is that?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 448
    Stupidly sold my Chinese Burny 335, which was an incredible guitar, to Taff on this forum - instantly regretted it but fortunately managed to buy it back off a friend of his that he’d moved it onto a few years later... one of the best decisions I’ve ever made - for £350 it’s as good as any 335 I’ve ever played and looks great 

https://i.imgur.com/2dGtNkr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EMGKBA5.jpg