Crop sensor camera lenses - help!

What's Hot
RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
edited January 2019 in Off Topic
I want to get a decent wide angle lens for my Canon 550D, which has a crop sensor. Its for my trip to New York in Jan. I'd like to take some landscapes but not massively wide. I have an old Tamron 10-22, which is ok but very large, and has very slight damage which I can now see instantly in the images.

Looking at the EF 24mm 2.8, which seems to be decent but just shy of 500 quid. Plus the focal lenth will be nearly 40mm on my camera, which is pretty limited for landscapes.

Anything else worth looking at?  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ionianionian Frets: 100
    Canon EF-s 10-18 is reasonably priced and good quality on Canon crop sensors
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited December 2018
    Either the Canon or Sigma 10-22 EFS are very nice lenses. 
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    boogieman said:
    Either the Canon or Sigma 10-22 EFS are very nice lenses. 

Thanks. Used prices on eBay seem to be 250, which is be happy to pay if the optics are good. 

Anyone have experience of buying used lenses?
  • I've bought a few 2nd hand lenses (Sony emount) and I've never had a problem. I've even dabbled in vintage lenses and even these have been flawless.

I'd recommend mpb.com if you don't fancy ebay. 
  • I have a Canon 80D and use the canon EFS 10-18 and the 24mm. Both are superb and I pretty much used both exclusively on my recent trip to NY last year. You could buy both for the price of that EF that you’re looking at and have some change. 
    How very rock and roll
  • ionianionian Frets: 100
    edited December 2018
    I have bought and sold through mpb.com and can recommend them. They are not the cheapest place for second hand gear but their stuff is properly checked and fairly priced. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    The Tokina 11-16 is a beast on the 550D
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

I agree, MPB would be my first port of call rather than eBay. I’ve heard enough horror stories about people buying photo gear through eBay to put me off for life. MPB will give you a warranty, their prices are decent and their descriptions of the condition of the equipment are good: if anything they underrate the condition and it’ll arrive looking better than they’ve described. I’ve bought lots of gear from them, new and used, and never had a problem. 
    I have a Canon 80D and use the canon EFS 10-18 and the 24mm. Both are superb and I pretty much used both exclusively on my recent trip to NY last year. You could buy both for the price of that EF that you’re looking at and have some change. 
    How did you find the 24mm? I guess it's close to 35mm on crop sensor. 
    edited December 2018
    RMJ said:
    I have a Canon 80D and use the canon EFS 10-18 and the 24mm. Both are superb and I pretty much used both exclusively on my recent trip to NY last year. You could buy both for the price of that EF that you’re looking at and have some change. 
    C size crop sensor is x1.6 so 24mm equates to 38mm. 
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    As mentioned above, the Tokina 11-16mm is a superb lens with the added bonus of being f2.8. I had one when I had a D7100 and it was super sharp. I much preferred it to the Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina also do a 11-20mm too, which is also supposed to be very good.
  • RMJ said:
    I’m pretty much a beginner mate tbh but it’s been brill for me. I loved the 50mm and it was a big learn to get used to the challenges of a wide angle but in terms of performance I’ve found it to be brill. 

But it again I’ll repeat, I’m a noob!
    How very rock and roll
  • I can't speak for Canon-system specifics, but I have the Fuji 10-24 and it's a great focal range for an APSC sensor. I rarely travel without it, plus something wider - either 35 or 18-135 depending on where i'm going.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    thanks guys. I actually dug out my wide angle lens, which is a Tokina (not Tamron) 12-24mm F4. I have got some decent images with it in the past so I am going to investigate the damage before forking out for something similar.  I am however going to look on MPB for a fast prime lens which will give me less than 50mm focal length. That'll do me nicely then for my trip I reckon.
  • RMJ said:
    I’m pretty much a beginner mate tbh but it’s been brill for me. I loved the 50mm and it was a big learn to get used to the challenges of a wide angle but in terms of performance I’ve found it to be brill. 

But it again I’ll repeat, I’m a noob!

To be honest, most modern lenses are pretty damn good! The eyes behind the lens are what creates the image, the rest is just tools.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    RMJ said:
    thanks guys. I actually dug out my wide angle lens, which is a Tokina (not Tamron) 12-24mm F4. I have got some decent images with it in the past so I am going to investigate the damage before forking out for something similar.  I am however going to look on MPB for a fast prime lens which will give me less than 50mm focal length. That'll do me nicely then for my trip I reckon.
    There’s a YouTube clip where a guy gradually destroys a lens in stages, taking photos with it at each point. He starts by scratching the front element and ends up by destroying the front of the lens completely with a hammer. Only the last stage produces any major problems and even then it produces an interesting effect. So I wouldn’t worry about replacing your lens too much if there’s only a bit of minor damage, take a few shots and see how things turn out.  ;)
  • I bought @RiftAmps 24mm pancake 2.8 Lens for my 500D and have loved it. 
    mattdavis said:
    I bought @RiftAmps 24mm pancake 2.8 Lens for my 500D and have loved it. 
    yeah ive been looking at that one. not far off 35mm. 
    RiftAmps said:
    The Tokina 11-16 is a beast on the 550D
    Ive been playing around with my Tokina 12-24 and F4 is limiting in low light. F2.8 on the 11-16 is therefore of interest. Sub 300 used too.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    I bought a Sigma ART 20mm F1.4 for work to use on my 7D, so it's about 32mm equivalent. I am very pleased with it. It is part of a plan though to ease the cost of upgrading to a 5D.