Helix Stomp or seperate audio interface plus helix native or similar?

Happy to listen to other options but I need a simple/compact solution to home recording.

Any thoughts on the above? What are other people using?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I have a Helix floor unit and the plugin.
    I mostly use the floor unit.
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    That’s that answered then!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    CHrisP86 said:
    If you only want to do home recording then I'd go for a dedicated recording interface and the Native Software plugin. This will be far more flexible recording wise and will offer you access to pro-level mic preamps, MIDI in and out, latency free monitoring, the ability to hook up other devices like keyboards, synths, drum machines etc.

I have an HX Stomp and whilst its fine for recording guitar is limited compared to my dedicated recording interface.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    CHrisP86 said:
    If you only want to do home recording then I'd go for a dedicated recording interface and the Native Software plugin. This will be far more flexible recording wise and will offer you access to pro-level mic preamps, MIDI in and out, latency free monitoring, the ability to hook up other devices like keyboards, synths, drum machines etc.

I have an HX Stomp and whilst its fine for recording guitar is limited compared to my dedicated recording interface.

You can hook Keyboards etc up to Helix Stomp, it has zero latency monitoring, and midi in-out. The only thing it doesn't have is a mic input. Native is something like 400 quid by itself so if you're just going to be recording guitar then I would advise you to get Helix Stomp. You can always add a small mixer with a mic channel strip for about £40 at a later date if you want to stick some vocals down or even something like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo for about £80. 
  • Native is like having an HX stomp you can put on every channel...only better.

I would get both, get the stomp and then use the rebate to get the cheap plugin. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ

You can hook Keyboards etc up to Helix Stomp, it has zero latency monitoring, and midi in-out. The only thing it doesn't have is a mic input. Native is something like 400 quid by itself so if you're just going to be recording guitar then I would advise you to get Helix Stomp. You can always add a small mixer with a mic channel strip for about £40 at a later date if you want to stick some vocals down or even something like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo for about £80. 
    The HX Stomp is limited to 6 blocks and that includes amps, cabs, IR responses and FX. To connect other devices you have to fiddle with the global settings on the device. Yes it can work, but a dedicated audio interface and Line 6 Native offers a more flexible solution with the ability to build complex rigs with more than 6 blocks.

If you want to gig and build a floorboard, or want a device to also work with an amp then obviously the HX Stomp is the way to go. That's what I bought mine for - I'm happy to integrate it with other pedals (I'm not a fan of L6 distortion) so the 6 blocks limitation isn't an issue for me.

• CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Thanks everyone.

I would only be recording guitar and bass and with relatively simple rig requirements so think I've talked myself in to an HX stomp as the answer!
    CHrisP86 said:
    Thanks everyone.

I would only be recording guitar and bass and with relatively simple rig requirements so think I've talked myself in to an HX stomp as the answer!
    Enjoy. I love mine - sounds awesome.

• Fretwired said:

The HX Stomp is limited to 6 blocks and that includes amps, cabs, IR responses and FX. To connect other devices you have to fiddle with the global settings on the device. Yes it can work, but a dedicated audio interface and Line 6 Native offers a more flexible solution with the ability to build complex rigs with more than 6 blocks.

If you want to gig and build a floorboard, or want a device to also work with an amp then obviously the HX Stomp is the way to go. That's what I bought mine for - I'm happy to integrate it with other pedals (I'm not a fan of L6 distortion) so the 6 blocks limitation isn't an issue for me.
    Its not really "fiddling" its literally just switching from instrument to line level.