What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313
    ICBM said:
    The Crimes Of Grindelwald

Hmmm... nowhere near as good as Fantastic Beasts, because it's trying far too hard to be a Harry Potter prequel instead of something related but different. I actually liked Fantastic Beasts because it *wasn't* too Harry Potter - I'm not a big fan really. This has so much setting up for the next installment(s) in J.K. Rowling's licence to print money that it just about collapses under the tangle of all the multiple threads of forward continuity it's trying to spin.

Jude Law is good, Johnny Depp is at least not quite Captain Jack Sparrow this time, but apart from that I just thought it was all much too forced. Even Eddie Redmayne seems to have forgotten how to act.

4/10

(If you wonder why I went to see it when I'm not a Harry Potter fan... kids ;). But they didn't think it was that good either.)
    Good grief. It must be really bad if it’s not as good as Fantastic Beasts. I thought that was an absolute stinker and Eddie Redmayne really floundered in that too. Considering how supposedly picky JKR was around the casting, settings and well, everything, to do with the HP films I do wonder how she’s let these prequel abominations go out to the public. Surely she can’t need the money? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Leave No Trace. Low key drama about a father and daughter living in the woods. Excellent acting by the two principals and a downbeat story well told. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9549
    Mary Poppins Returns - dreadful. Two hours I'll never get back.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    Just watched the new IT. I know most people don't like it but I thought it was pretty good for a Stephen king film which are notoriously difficult translations from the books. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356

First man - about the rise of Neil Armstrong from former air force test pilot to Apollo 11 commander and first man on the moon

Loved it 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5111
    HAL9000 said:
    Mary Poppins Returns - dreadful. Two hours I'll never get back.
    I went before Christmas with the Kids.... Mary Poppins is one of our favourite films.....This was pretty awful  :s
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    edited December 2018
    Dunkirk......pants.

Pretty disappointed tbh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    Kind hearts & coronets, watched on Christmas Eve with the family. 10/10
  • BlacKkKlansman  - Had some good scenes and very good performances, but spoiled by uneven pacing and what I thought to be misjudged inconsistencies of tone. Not Spike Lee's best, but I'm glad I saw it.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313
    edited December 2018
    munckee said:
    Just watched the new IT. I know most people don't like it but I thought it was pretty good for a Stephen king film which are notoriously difficult translations from the books. 
    I liked it too. Looking forward to the second part.

It’s a real shame that some of King’s books have been turned into rubbish films, but there’s some very good ones in there too : Misery, Shawshank, Stand By Me, the original Carrie, Green Mile, Shining. I even thought Christine was half decent.

Let’s not mention Dark Tower.  s
  • The Road to Perdition. 

I've had this argument on here before but I still tend to find that Tom Hanks plays Tom Hanks a little too much. Here, Tom Hanks the gangster. And what accent was Daniel Craig supposed to be doing? 

Those issues aside it's a stylised gangster movie, all scepia and muted tones and as well as looking good has an engaging story and some nice humour. One I missed first time around (2002) but I liked it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The favourite

Awesomely funny and quite sad
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Watched Wreck it Ralph Breaks the Internet with the kids today. I thought the first one was pretty dire, but this was actually pretty good. Some funny bits and some interesting metaphors about modern living. 

8/10
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244

Bird Box on Netflix.

Should have been brilliant,given the cast,but turns out it's just a bit pants. 

Hoped for an improvement when Tom Hollander turned up,but he's a bit wasted really. 

This.  Started well, could have been brilliantly dark and brutal, turned out all fluffy and neat.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • On the subject of Bird Box, I was so unimpressed that I enjoyed The Humanity Bureau starring Nicolas Cage more.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    Mandy - Classic weird '80s sci-fi /cult/ drug shit

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    The favourite

Awesomely funny and quite sad
    Went to see that today. Excellent film - outstanding performances by the 3 main actresses. Also gave a very strong sense of an England that in some ways we recognize but in others is alien to us.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Watched the 2 part film about Jacques Mesrine starring Vincent Cassel. It's really good.
    I've heard it being compared to Scarface which is a laughable comparison. Mesrine is a great film whereas Scarface is a pile of crap.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The Old Man & the Gun.

Robert Redford in his late 70s robbing banks along with two other friends of a same age. Plus Casey Affleck and Sissy Spacek - both good performances.

Pretty light watch, and not long by today's standards. 
    6/10
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Not a feature film but just watched a DVD of a 1979 ITV Playhouse version of 'Casting the Runes'. Apart from some unfortunate (because risible) special effects - the same problem that marred Tourneur's Night of the Demon version of the story - it was actually quite well done. Also nice to see it set in Leeds in the middle of a very snowy winter. If you are into M.R James and/or folk magic/supernatural stuff this is a decent example.