Any Thoughts on using a compact line array in a pub band?

What's Hot

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Our's is the Evox 8, and has more than enough bottom-end, and power to mic the kit +guitar, bass, keys, vox for pub gigs and he clarity compared to the old system is amazing, it also takes up half the space of the old system too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    RCF Evo systems have been popular with the hire companies as they cover so many bases.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31371
    John_A said:
    Our's is the Evox 8, and has more than enough bottom-end, and power to mic the kit +guitar, bass, keys, vox for pub gigs and he clarity compared to the old system is amazing, it also takes up half the space of the old system too
    I bet feedback rejection is better too, we can bung our JBLs almost anywhere. 
    p90fool said:
    John_A said:
    I bet feedback rejection is better too, we can bung our JBLs almost anywhere. 
    Only used them once so far, but had no feedback issues at all, so seems promising.

Did quite a bit of research before buying and internet wisdom is 'they're fine for a full band' from people who have then and 'you need bigger subs for a full band' from people who don't.      I i can confirm they are, the lows the little 12" subs kick out is astounding
    edited January 2019
    I'd agree that the better ones do punch above their weight but you put them into a larger room with a band and they loose it basically unless you are moderating the levels (alot of users don't).
    Well @Roland what’s your opinion on the little evox?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    Excellent projection from the linear arrays. The spread was good. Feedback rejection was good considering the way your singer waved his mic around at times. The sound was clear, without unnecessary volume. (Yes, my band is too loud.) The speakers didn’t sound strained, so I expect it can go louder in larger venues. The XR18 mixer pairs well with the speakers. Clear sound, flexible, low footprint.

Was I convinced? I’m still worried about the mids for my own needs. In a band like yours, which uses a very warm rock sound, or a semi-acoustic band where most of the sonic interest is above the crossover point, they’d be fine. Would I buy one? If I were starting out now, and buying new equipment, then yes, and I’d boost the mids in the mixer to compensate for the crossover dip. It’s the same argument as AxeFX vs Helix. The Fractal is more sophisticated, I even use it to trigger our lights, but starting from scratch in a pub band the Helix is easier. 

What I did like was your Helix. It’s the first time I’ve heard one played live in a pub. It’s not just the sound quality but the workflow of changing settings and tapping in tempos between and during songs. I agree that you’re better off without the backline. The Engl was nice, but just made life more difficult. I watched you having to adjust it during set up and soundcheck. A number of times I’ve broken out my valve combo “just to see”. Each time I’ve gone back to DI because, once you’ve got things set up, it’s a case of turn up and play.

Sorry I had to leave before the end, but the venues flashing lights gave me a headache.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Are you just using a single Evox 5 @John_A ?
    And can you confirm it’s the 5 or 8 you have (you mention owning and using both above...)
    Seriously considering a single Evox 8 for the majority of our pub gigs now as my enthusiasm for hauling two DXR12’s and a DXS12 sub around is waning to say the least.
    edited January 2019
    As a punter, as good as the Evox is I know I'd prefer to be listening to your current Yamaha rig than a single Evox 8
    edited January 2019
    Short clip, videoed on an iPhone 5SE. What you’re hearing is the Evox, plus John’s Engl.

https://i.imgur.com/Hh8r0SF.mp4

edited January 2019
    Sounds great  Looking out for any mics on the drums - was any of the drums going thru the rig?

One advantage of the Evox is you can raise them up higher than a normal tekvway top.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Right, so there’s a pair of them... are they the 5 or 8?
    edited January 2019
    @simonk.  To confirm, it’s a pair of evox 8s.  We had 2 rcf710s and 2 Db 15 subs and these do sound better and are just as loud and clear as a bell

@roland, thanks for the clip, do you have any with volcals?  That guitar sounds great even though I do say so myself   And many thanks for coming along, great to see you!
    andyoz said:
    Sounds great  Looking out for any mics on the drums - was any of the drums going thru the rig?

One advantage of the Evox is you can raise them up higher than a normal tekvway top.
    Yes, one on the kick and one sitting between the hihat and snare, if it’s a big room we sometimes mic the toms, but they are so big we don’t often need too 

the kick won’t hit you in the chest like 2x18s, but there really is an amazing amount of thump out those little subs
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, I can't tell the size of they room but as you say, you just need a bit of help from the PA on the kick, snare, hi-hat to keep up with the cymbals that are generally overpowering.  You don't want assault punters with bass in a pub gig.

Being able to mount the tops up high (safely) certainly helps with sight lines and tilting them down slightly into the punters is good too (will give a more even front to back level)

RCF definitely know their way around subs and their amp modules are good. The Evox subs are bass reflex whereas the Yam DXS12 mentioned above is a 'pass band' design. I prefer bass reflex for live music (generally have less output but more tuneful
    @John_A  This is Creep, with vocals. It’s taken from the other side of the room, so your Engl was not line of sight.

https://i.imgur.com/c3tjFOM.mp4

edited January 2019
    Just concentrating on the kick and snare sound in that clip, it sounds nice and natural.

Are those the pubs own lights?
    Cheers @roland. The worst song in the set IMO :)
    andyoz said:
    Just concentrating on the kick and snare sound in that clip, it sounds nice and natural.

Are those the pubs own lights?
    That’ll be the expensive drum mics, £10 off eBay :)

Yes the pubs lights, we have our own but didn’t set them up
    John_A said:
    Cheers @roland. The worst song in the set IMO :)
    I only did the two. I can take it down again if you like.