Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which DAW

What's Hot

Comments

• Reaper as its affordable and has great user base with tons of great help online and on the forums. You're only ever a quick google question away from an answer which will be especially important when you're just starting out
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    btw
    for anyone with a Mac, it's a no brainer to get Logic, it's a fraction of the price it should be sold at
  • btw
    for anyone with a Mac, it's a no brainer to get Logic, it's a fraction of the price it should be sold at
    this also.... with an equally friendly and informative user base. I personally use Logic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    spark240 said:
    Studio One here.....Possibly better for more advanced users.
    Big fan of it too here
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 103
    Everyone will have their favourite DAW, and they are all so powerful these days. In terms of ease of use for a newbie, Tracktion is hard to beat and their free version is superb. The only thing is, it is a bit “different” from other DAWs so if you move onto to another one later on, the learning curve may be a little longer. 

I personally use Presonus Studio One pro, and one of the reasons I love it is the tight integration with Presonus hardware - the FaderPort series makes using DAWs FUN! 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Bill_S said:
    Everyone will have their favourite DAW, and they are all so powerful these days. In terms of ease of use for a newbie, Tracktion is hard to beat and their free version is superb. The only thing is, it is a bit “different” from other DAWs so if you move onto to another one later on, the learning curve may be a little longer. 

I personally use Presonus Studio One pro, and one of the reasons I love it is the tight integration with Presonus hardware - the FaderPort series makes using DAWs FUN! 
    Yep...I have the FP8 as well....also good how S1 integrates with Melodyne....I just wish they wouldn’t bring a new product out every 5 mins !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • I'm looking into daws swell.

I used pro tools back when, comming from hardware mixing but my of gave up, and it wasn't comparable with the new one, so I ditched it.

Ive used reaper since and its good if a little dated looking.  However, it's midi is limited and doesn't have native soft instruments.

I now Want tk get more into midi, particularly drum tracks and synth complex speciation stuff.  I also miss melodyne I used yo use for my ropey vocals.

Not sure if I shoykdvinvest on some vocal pitch correction software, soft synth (plenty free as well) and stick with reaper or move to something else.

I tried ableton and don't like it.  I have cubes so 9.5 (bundled) which seems ok and studio one from, which after an initial confusion also sermsxdecent.

Of those, I can go for s1 pro for 190, or Cubase artist for 210.  Cubaae elements is available for 40, and can he further upgraded if need more tracks later (I believe all 3 come with vocal pitch help, though elements might not).

So,  thoughts on which way to go?  S1, Cubase (which version) or stick with reaper plus software to fill it's gaps.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    When I was looking around, I tried the new version of Cakeworks Bandlab, which was a free suite.
    I think it is the final version of Sonar, renamed after Gibson bought and sold it off. I had to create accounts etc, but ended up with a few free instruments--including melodyne.
    How happy was I that when I tried Reaper, it autodetected my previously installed vst's so my Reaper set up got a bit of a head start.
    The stock Reaper, and JSX plugins do pretty much everything you could need, and as I stated above, there are plenty of good free plugins available, MT drums, Tokyo Dawn, Spitfire LABS, so I decided to try and become a REAPER Ninja, but I dont think there are really ANY limitations these days with it, so it wiill always get my vote.
  • I used Pro Tools as it came Cree with my first DAW. It was good and quite intuitive. I changed to Reaper when I upgraded to a Focusrite as my version of PT was for MAudio devices only. I did not find it as intuitive. But I'm sticking with it as I bought it and a load of people rave a out it.
  • I have mt drums, which is ok.  Only 1 kit mind, but I can midi trigger my keyboards so have options.

I guess if i find a decent auto time plugin for it i might stick.  If cubase elements comes with good auto time though, k carport if to reaper with included soft instruments, and havec3 dad's plus all that software for 38 (upgrade route from ai). 

That does seem tempting.

On a side note, I have somewhere in the loft an old alpha track feder surface.  Anyone know others still usable (including driver downloads) For reaper, cubase or s1?  Would save buying a new surface.
  • DAWs....

Reaper, Studio One, Cubase, Logic Pro X. Those are the ones I would recommend. They're all relatively similar in functionality and relatively easy to get into.

Bye!

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    edited January 2019
    Well - I jumped on Studio One.

Basically, I found the Pro for £169..... Download version not a box'd copy but still - and given it comes with Melodyne Essentials bundled which costs £70 at its cheapest thats £100 for the Daw.  Given Cubase Pro was £400+.....

I made more of a saving (or not depending how you look at it).  I used to use an old Alpha Track with my Protools rig which made such a difference.  So I also get a Fader Port Mk 2.  This was sold for £169 - BUT it includes Studio One Artist.  The same place selling S1 Pro was doing the Artist to Pro Upgrade for £139.  So for a touch over £300 I have the full blown Studio 1 Pro DAW, the Fader Port 2 control surface, and Melodyne Essentials.

Given the Port (which I wanted anyway at some point) and Melodyne (if bought seperately for Reaper) would have cost £245 on their own - I think its a steel.

Now Ive just got to record more....

• robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
     Top deal Paul - where was that from? I’m thinking of upgrading from Artist to Pro and also fancy a Faderport! 

• @robwright ;

Inta Audio.

Link to their Prosonus Page:

https://www.inta-audio.com/presonus-m32
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    Thanks Paul! 

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    @robwright you can also check out KVR classifieds for an S1 Pro deal....Ive been using Pro since it came out...its really cool...not that I can operate half the functions ! 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Link to my first track in years using studio one plus lots on new instruments.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147260/first-track-in-ages?new=1
  • Link to my first track in years using studio one plus lots on new instruments.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147260/first-track-in-ages?new=1
    YES YES YES! LET THAT GEEEETAR SING BROTHER!!

Also glad you're getting on with your new DAW, its actually the only one I've never had any experience with but everyone seems to sing its praises.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    edited January 2019
    Yet, I'd not heard of it until A week ago.

I used pro tools le around 2006, and switched to reaper when I upgraded my pc and the interface wasn't compatable.  I'd used cubase back in the eary 90s on an amega.

I looked at ableton lite, and cubase ai as well as studio one - also considered staying on reaper with some additions.

It was a toss up in the end between cubase and studio one. Cubase was a little more intuitive setting up paths but workflow is smoother in studio one.

Ultimately though to get the features I wanted to make the move from reaper justifiable meant cubase pro which was (cheapest I could find) £369.  I got studio one pro AND a faded port for £306.

No brainer in the end.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    PreSonus have been clever bundling Studio Pro Artist with their interfaces.

I upgraded from SP3 Artist to SP4 Pro for about £130 during Black Friday.

To be honest, Artist was fine for a limited user like me for over a year.  I just missed the option of being able to mixdown to MP3 that's only available in Pro.