What are you reading at the moment?

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10227

Agreed about it stretching credibility at times @boogieman but I was cool with it.Steel is a pretty extreme character so I can forgive MacBride going a bit over the top at times. And like you say,a lot better than the last McCrae novel.That wasn't one of Macbrides finest moments.

The new book should be interesting.Can't see Logan gaining many friends there.They're already in short supply.The dynamic between him and Steel should make for for some killer scenes and dialogue though.

Steel is still probably my favourite character ever put to written word,especially after this book.It was great to see the human side of her,instead of just the wisecracking perv,like you mentioned.Just fantastic writing.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

The Yiddish Policemen's Union - Michael Chabon
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Currently reading Churchill's History of the English-speaking People, vol 1.

See the source image

Just finished Bomber Command, which I really enjoyed. Not the best book on the experience of the crew, but a great view from a strategic point of view.
    See the source image
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3753
    edited May 2018
    The Black Dhalia - James Ellroy

Always loved LA Confidential the film, didn't realise it was a part of a quartet of loosely linked books (starting with Black Dhalia). Immensely readable so far, and can see myself reading all the series in short order.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8774
    The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness - Erich Fromm

Fancied something light and entertaining for thebank holiday weekend.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    Just finished Lee  Brilleaux: Rock’n’Roll Gentleman, and currently about halfway through Roger Daltey: Thanks a Lot Mr Kibblewhite.

I'd recommend them. Both engaging, interesting accounts, and great reads.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    Origin by Dan Brown

And also

Dartmoor: Into The wilderness. Just a book about the Geography of Dartmoor, the history, the old wives tales and the agriculture. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I was very high brow and read James Acaster's Classic Scrapes which was fun for 99p. 

Currently most of the way through Escaping the Delta by Elijah Wald. Lots of lists and references so it's not a great read but the central premise about the white retelling of the blues is fascinating stuff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    No Picnic on Mount Kenya - Felice Benuzzi 

Autobiographical account of three Italian POWs who break out of a British prison camp to climb a mountain, then check back in. Stirring stuff.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    I was very high brow and read James Acaster's Classic Scrapes which was fun for 99p. 

Currently most of the way through Escaping the Delta by Elijah Wald. Lots of lists and references so it's not a great read but the central premise about the white retelling of the blues is fascinating stuff. 
    I went to see Acaster's pre book tour it was entertaining.

I'm currently reading Stephen Fry's mythos, his telling and explanation of the greek myths, pretty good so far.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Stevepage said:
    Origin by Dan Brown

Thought it was utter crap. Robert Langdon turns into James Bond, oh deary me. DB really is scraping the bottom of the barrel these days. 

I’m reading Tombland by CJ Samson, the latest Shardlake book. 250 pages in so far and not much has happened.  :/
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    Just finished The Turn of the Screw by Henry James and I'm about to start The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole.

All stuff you can get free for the Kindle....
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Just finished "The City And The City", by China Miéville.  Pretty good, I'm willing to try another of his.

I've just bought Kim Stanley Robinson's "New York 2140".

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    King Arthur - King of Glamorgan and Gwent by A.T. Blackett and Alan Wilson

Also reading Walpurgis Night by Thomas Sheridan
  • Just about to start that Max Hasting's thing on Vietnam, which I suspect may take about as long to read as the war itself...
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Lukather's autobio. He's played with some "cats" for sure. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just about to start that Max Hasting's thing on Vietnam, which I suspect may take about as long to read as the war itself...
    Oooo I got that for Xmas: my next but one on ‘The Pile’. Do let me know whether it’s worth the bother ;) 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • just read the exorcist 40th anniversary and legion  and will be reading silence of the lambs next. just bought the complete works of hp lovecraft for 49p also (all books are on my tablet that i mentioned)  i am a horror fan as you can probably tell so did enjoy both exorcist and legion (have seen the filme and legion is one of my fav horror films) good to see how the books differ from the films.
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    The bloody rubbish photocopied instructions on this "Al-ACME DIY Nuclear Warhead Kit".  There's a page missing too - and two screws.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited January 2019

Mainly cos I want to see where TALK TALK got some of their lyrics from....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>