Any ideas...

What's Hot
So... I'm in the middle of nowhere and I've just snapped the e string on my strat at the ball end.

The string is long enough to be re-strung (just) but it's no longer attached to the ball end which obviously stops it in the bridge. Any ideas on how I can re-string it so it'll last a few days?!

Before you laugh... I'm not so impoverished I can't afford strings. I can! The problem is I have 5 more days to go until I can get some (Got loads of sets at home)! Pissed off as it was a new set!

Help/suggestions appreciated! It's a long shot!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• When I was a youngster I used to thread the string through the centre or the ball end (cylinder) and tie a small knot.  This was on a Strat and by the time it was threaded back through the body it would pin it in place.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was trying to do that but I can't get the knot... errr... knotted... I need girls hands. I shall persist!
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    Get a pair of pliers. Thread the string through the ball end and loop it back on itself. Grip the string (both bits) with the pliers and twist the ball end until the string is twisted tightly.
    Restring and hope.

(I was a skint student once).
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    I learnt to play I was a skint student and for some reason unbeknown to me I snapped my low E.

Couldn't afford strings. So learnt to play without it.. Still play without it.. To used to playing without it to be bothered aha.

I've knotted the end of strings through the ball end before, just make sure you leave enough for the post.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Bowline should do it.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Wisdom's delivered! Cheers guys! I managed to get it done the @randomhandclaps way after all. String feels weak but as long as it lasts 4 days, I'm fine!
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Has it snapped again yet?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not yet... I reckon it will very shortly though! I really was struggling for string length so some of, what was the windings, is now part of the straight part of the string. It tuned up to pitch OK, I just will have to go easy on it! I'm not known for going easy on the strings when comes to playing, I have the touch of a rapist...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• The fix!