What turntable?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
I'm looking to put together a small hifi system (already have Onkyo receiver and Monitor Audio speakers) so need a turntable to finish the set up. Have been considering the low end Pro-ject stuff (budget is around £350 for a turntable and phono preamp).

After some recommendations/reviews/alternatives please. 

Note the max width needs to be less than 335mm as it will be going into a bookshelf opening. Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    Rega Planar? Not sure about the width though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Look for a good lightly used Rega Planar 2 or 3.  They usually come with a good quality arm.  Can be picked up for half your budget or less.  Depending on your needs, good cartridges can be had for under £50 to many thousands....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Planar-2-Turntable/283318780539?hash=item41f71d827b:g:GxgAAOSw6EpcJTzz:rk:4:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Planar-3-Turntable-with-Audio-Technica-AT95-MM-Cartridge/173712431507?hash=item2872115993:g:3vwAAOSwjMtcJrP~:rk:5:pf:0

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    Dual 50x ? (as in 502, 503, etc.) Really easy to maintain once you get the hang of getting inside it.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    You might find a used 1210 for that money. Got mine for £250 a few years back
  • An lp record is 300mm diameter so the chance of finding a turntable at max width 335mm is slim at best.
  • I can recommend the Audio Technica LP5. It's less than your budget and has a phono stage. I have one and it sounds great.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Just got the go ahead for a wide low slot now so no width limits :) 
  • The Rega turntables mentioned are excellent.  If you're looking for a hifi turntable I'd seriously consider this:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THORENS-TD-146-Turntable-with-Ortofon-F15E-MkII/254045749869?hash=item3b264e826d:g:iccAAOSwkaxbYE7X
    Within budget and money left for a phono pre-amp.  The legendary Linn Sondek LP12 was based upon a Thorens design not dissimilar to this. (I have no connection with the seller, just did a search for you).
    The Rega turntables mentioned are excellent.  If you're looking for a hifi turntable I'd seriously consider this:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THORENS-TD-146-Turntable-with-Ortofon-F15E-MkII/254045749869?hash=item3b264e826d:g:iccAAOSwkaxbYE7X
    Within budget and money left for a phono pre-amp.  The legendary Linn Sondek LP12 was based upon a Thorens design not dissimilar to this. (I have no connection with the seller, just did a search for you).
    That seems expensive for a 146. You can get a TD160 for that money, a much better turntable. 
  • TheMarlin said:
    That seems expensive for a 146. You can get a TD160 for that money, a much better turntable. 
    I'm sure you're right, I just did a quick search.  Yes, the TD160 is great, my first tt was a TD150.  Just wanted to throw a different flavour to the rigid Regas.  I use a Gyrodec now.
    I put a system together for my nieces and my nephew. He got a Dual 503, she got a Pro Ject Debut.  The Dual is a much better turntable, I very much dislike the Pro Ject turntable.  I’m selling it, and replacing it with a Regar Planar 2. 

A sleeper to look for is an Ariston RD11. It’s what the Linn Sondek is based on, part are interchangeable. They can be had cheap is you scout Ebay and Gumtree. 

Ariston also did another grest turntable, the RD40. Harder to find, but a great piece of kit once you upgrade the motor. 

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    @TheMarlin why do you dislike the Debut? 
  • I put a system together for my daughter, must be 10 years ago now.  I got a Michell Focus One with an Audio Technica tonearm for £250.....great if you could find one now, would be over £500 I guess.
    rico said:
    @TheMarlin why do you dislike the Debut? 
    It sounds ‘meh’, some bearing noise even after a clean and lube, build quality isn’t there. Standard cartridge sucks ass. I put an Ortofon Red on it, and even after that it’s still not doing it for me.
    The Regar Planar utterly kicks it’s ass. I’m done spending money trying to get it to sound ok.  It’s just not up to the job. 

I bought a few Step up devices to try.  I loved the Graham Slee one, hated the Pro Ject step up.  

• ColsCols Frets: 6953
    I was about to kick in with another vote for the Rega Planar; utterly brilliant turntable.  However, my Planar 3 (admittedly a mid-80s model, but I don’t think they’ve really changed the design much since they got it pretty bang-on already) is 44.5cm wide, putting it out of scope for you.

Buy a bigger bookshelf?  :D
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I have an Audio Technica AT LP1240 with a Shure M97xE Cartridge, it sounds great and best of all is 3 speed so can play 78s.

It's more of a DJ turntable so has some unnecessary features like a speed control but it doesn't affect it's performance. 
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    I have a Linn Axis. They can be had way under your budget if you shop around. I think roughly comparable to the Rega Planar, in terms of quality, although there are those who rate the Linn higher and those who rate the Regas.

For carts, I like the Shure M97x. Not a big fan of the Denon high output MC carts as I found they sat just in the wrong place for my preamps.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    FWIW, the Axis is going to be much less reliable than the equivalent Rega, I suspect. So while I really like mine, I’d probably still go with Rega or similar.
  • My Rega Planar 1 is 44cm wide, so they are probably too wide for you.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Bookshelf opening?  Sounds iffy to me for a turntable.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.