What turntable?

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 6988
    rico said:
    Just got the go ahead for a wide low slot now so no width limits :) 
    I somehow missed this.  33.5cm might have been impossible; the 12” platter alone would take up 30.5cm, leaving only another 3cm for the rest of the gubbins.

Get a Rega Planar, you won’t regret it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Thanks for the advice so far! Provided the opening is big enough (fnarr fnarr) i'll go for a Rega Planar. There's a hifi shop in Clapham that seems to stock them. 

In terms of preamps, is there any benefit in having a valve unit? I note Pro-ject do one. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    @rico the phono stage is more important than the cartridge used. Valve units might be noisier than solid state. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    @rico the phono stage is more important than the cartridge used. Valve units might be noisier than solid state. 
    But if you can find a s/h EAR 834P, buy it! They're pricier but the sound is excellent. OTOH if you like chalk rather than cheese the Tom Evans MicroGroove is also good.

Agree with turntable brands: Thorens Ariston Rega all good. My dad had a Linn Axis and my mum still has it - the 33/45 switch is slightly mickey mouse, it works but sometimes you need to jiggle it to get it to do what you want. I don't have that trouble on my LP12 as it only does 33 ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I have a Project 2 and while it's not bad it's not great - I'm sure there's better.
    This silly person flogged his LP12.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    I have a Project 2 and while it's not bad it's not great - I'm sure there's better.
    This silly person flogged his LP12.
    I used to have a Garrard 401 in custom built slate plinth, with SME 5 series arm and a Lyra MM cartridge.   Sounded epic.  Really miss it.

As for step up devices, get a used Graham Slee step up from ebay for around £60.  You'll have to spend many hundreds to find something that sounds better.  The Tom Evans Microgrove is better, but you can't get them for used £50. 

@TheMarlin when you say step up do you mean preamp? 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited January 2019
    rico said:
    I think that unit is actually a step up transformer that allows you to use a Moving Coil type cartridge (very low output) with the more typical Phono Input on an amp that is typically designed for Moving Magnet type cartridges.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited January 2019
    Many many years ago I used to work in Radio Broadcasting....back then (30 years ago) we used these. Can't believe how much they are going for. It was a very clever design that used a very lightweight platter for quick start (reached full stable speed in 0.25 of a revolution). It "synthesized" heavy platter mass electronically....never understood how that actually worked...I just repaired them when they went wrong. 
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.de/ulk/itm/192681039511
    rico said:
    Yes. 
    I call it a step up as it amplifies the minute signal from the cartridge and turns it into something a preamp can handle (by preamp, I mean....I mostly use power amps and separate preamplifiers, much preferring passive preamplifiers to powered preamps).  

Some are just moving magnet, other moving coil, some do both.  The Graham Slee one I have is MM,  and sounds great.  
    The Pro Ject one sounds ok, but has earthing issues, and can only be used with turntables that earth through the plug, not through and earth cable.  I hate the damn thing.  I would sell it on eBay, but I can't bring myself to pass the problem onto someone else.

If you OP get's a turntable that earths through the plug, I'll donate the Pro Ject Pre Amp (step up).  
  • @ Marlin - my Musical Fidelity A1 amp has an MC input - are you saying I might see a big improvement with an MC cartridge on the Project 2 ?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    My phono stage has a high gain setting for MC carts but a passive SUT stage brought it to life
    edited January 2019
    @ Marlin - my Musical Fidelity A1 amp has an MC input - are you saying I might see a big improvement with an MC cartridge on the Project 2 ?
    If your amp had a phone stage, then use that. 
    Some amp makers use third party phono modules to offer a native phono stage option. 
    They are not always good.  I’m a fussy bugger, and I think the phono stage is crucial to great sounds. So I always test ‘in built’ phono stages vs quality external ones. 9 times out of 10, the external wins. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    TheMarlin said:
    @ Marlin - my Musical Fidelity A1 amp has an MC input - are you saying I might see a big improvement with an MC cartridge on the Project 2 ?
    Some amp makers use third party phono modules to offer a native a phono stage option. 
    They are not always good.  I’m a fussy bugger, and I think the phono stage is crucial to great sounds. So I always test ‘in built’ phono stages vs quality external ones. 9 times out of 10, the external wins. 

The denon 102R MC cart is excellent. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    TheMarlin said:
    Some amp makers use third party phono modules to offer a native a phono stage option. 

The denon 102R MC cart is excellent. 
    No argument from me on that point. It’s knockout!
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

My Pioneer turntable has its own phono stage ,

for use with amps that don't have one (there is a little switch on the back of the turntable).

To those who have a Rega Planar, would you be able to do me a huge favour and measure the max height without the lid please? I’m hoping it’s 100mm or so. 
  • My 1980s Planar 3 is 125mm with lid and more than 115mm without. The lid is millimeters above the counterweight of the arm.
    An Ariston Q Deck might be lower....(and cheaper).
  • Have you considered a wall shelf ?  Works very well for me.
  • Then again...it you change the feet on the Planar, you could get it lower. Pros and cons there for sure.