Winter Gut-Out

What's Hot
Just cleared out a cupboard in the kitchen full of cake-baking tins and similar things I will never, ever use. 
Thrown out old frying pans and got new ones in. 
Thrown out a water feature for the garden I'm never going to use. 
Got rid of my TV and DVD player in the bedroom as they're never on.
Got a smaller, more compact family calendar to go on the living room table. 
Gutted out piles of letters and similar tat that were lying around. 
Need to gut out the garage. 

Very liberating to just get rid of all that stuff you never use, clear space and make you more focused!!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Feels great, doesn't it.
    Trouble is it doesn't take long to get back to its previous clutter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Going to try and keep it clear but yeah, agree!!
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    3 dump runs yesterday and more to come, unbelievable amount of shite!! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8774
    mgaw said:
    3 dump runs yesterday and more to come, unbelievable amount of shite!! 
    I feel it mate. I too have had amoebic dysentery, after eating a dodgy shellfish curry purchased from a beach vendor in Goa while half pissed.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    It's a great idea, but I don't think I'm ever going to get round to doing it.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Going to try and keep it clear but yeah, agree!!
    I live in a small place.  The kitchen especially was always cluttered with basically shit that comes through the door that needs to get sorted and before you know it there's layers and piles of it everywhere, fucking everywhere.
    About August I put a decent-sized storage box on the end of my kitchen bench. 
    Since then, everything I can't deal with immediately goes in the box.  It's like a big, deep, in-tray I guess.  For whatever reason it has been working.  I have actually kept the kitchen tidy since. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
    We're lining up for the same. I've already done clothes, but need to do kitchen, living room, "random" cupboards and even *gasp* music stuff...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    We've also done the same, and I'm trying to sell off all my unused gear to have a proper purge.
  • I didn't say but some of the stuff is Sheena's. But things that aren't quite sentimental. E.g. silly old frying pans ! 

@Grunfeld that's a great idea. And if you never look in the box, it means you never needed that stuff anyway :)
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

Never say never when it comes to baking !

When my youngest's mother moved out I chucked away any remaining cup cake cases, flour etc. but since then I've done quite a bit of cooking with my daughter, so the cupboard is full of the stuff I threw out again* :)

*not the same stuff from out of the bin, new stuff. ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • I'm definitely more of a savoury person :D
  • Did the same yesterday. Got a HUGE pile of old clothes and toys that my kids have outgrown ready for the charity shop. 
    Unfortunately the space created will simply allow us to put their Christmas loot away neatly!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    My study/man cave is going to get a major spring clean this year, aiming to get rid of around 40% of what's there at the moment
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited January 2019
    I still have all my pedals from when I was in the band. Considering that's all I've got I think I'll probably keep them despite never getting used outside of band situation. You never know..
  • Mrs Ledzep is excellent at this.  She is constantly decluttering every room in the house.  Removing everything we don't use any longer.  Trouble is, she dumps it in my garage !  Can't even get the lawnmower in any longer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My bedroom feels so strange now without a TV staring me in the face. It was never on, anyway.. but I think this is a positive. 
  • Mrs Ledzep is excellent at this.  She is constantly decluttering every room in the house.  Removing everything we don't use any longer.  Trouble is, she dumps it in my garage !  Can't even get the lawnmower in any longer.
    Mrs Cantalk does exactly the same then tells me the garage is a mess and I need to sort it as she's tidied the house.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    I’ve given up.  Mrs Fab will put something on any available flat surface.  I bought a few little wastebaskets to dot around the house a while ago to make things easier to keep tidy.  I turn my back for five seconds and there’s something on top of the basket, a picture frame, a stack of books etc.

We’re not at the stage of being worthy of an episode of “hoarders” yet, but it’s really getting me down.  You get to a point where you become overwhelmed by the magnitude of the task of getting the whole house as you want it, so it becomes almost impossible to make a start.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Emp_Fab said:
    We’re not at the stage of being worthy of an episode of “hoarders” yet, but it’s really getting me down.  You get to a point where you become overwhelmed by the magnitude of the task of getting the whole house as you want it, so it becomes almost impossible to make a start.
    Story of my life.  Although I'm definitely at the hoarder stage.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    edited January 2019
    Anyone struggling to declutter/organise should read some Marie Kondo.

Her "philosophy" sounds poncy as fuck but personally I found it really helpful on a practical basis. If literally nothing else, her tips on how to fold and store my clothes were a genuine revelation.