Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Parking Ticket

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
So we played a gig on November 15th in Swansea and Ive just had a parking charge notice letter sent through. We (as in three other members of the band as well) had all parked in a loading area around the back of the building as they access was easy and ther was space. HOWEVER, a guy turned up as I was parking (around 8pm) and I was talking to him to about parking and he said he as working tonight doing the ticketing for that part of town. I asked if I should move and he said "no, its fine, you and the band can park here as long as you do not obstruct fire access or fire doors" which we didnt. 

Its £60 if I pay it now or £100 if I appeal and fail. 

There are no telephone numbers for Alliance Parking and you can only submit an appeal, nothing else. What would you do?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Google street view shows residential houses. I’d ignore it. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    edited January 2019
    Ah, there are photos of my car in situ and the business only has a PO box. It shows a picture of the sign stating the fees etc with their company name etc on the metal street sign.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Look on MSE (as above).

The current situation is DO NOT IGNORE IT - you have to enter into a song and dance to fight it; if you don't and the PPC (Private Parking Company) takes it to court you will have a judgement against you.

Also, in any correspondence (including appeal), DO NOT IDENTIFY YOURSELF AS THE DRIVER, only as the keeper of the car.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Just be thankful you didn't try to run back to your car to drive off before the warden could slap a ticket on it...

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Privately owned parking company. Ignore it. You’ll get 2 years worth of threatening letters and then they’ll give up. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    Just pay it.... these things turn bad pretty quickly...

I now always buy a ticket, photo the ticket in my cart, and keep the ticket. Stops claims months after.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Seriously, I’ve had a few of these. Ignore, ignore, ignore. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    One thing that stands out in the MSE link is whether or not the company that issued the fine is part of a trade body.

If they’re part of a trade body, then you can appeal as to why it was an unfair ticket. They cited reasons such as insufficient signage or the fine is out of proportion with the offence.

If they’re not part of a trade body you can treat it like an invoice (which is all it is). Simply reply to them stating that you won’t be paying. 

Its all documented in the link.
  • add a very polite fuck off i was gigging
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    Ok, so here's thing.

There was no ticket machines as it was an alley way behind the venue.

I'll see if I can get a picture of the sign by the venue.

The alley way had gates to close it and lock it and the guy advised us of this.

Other people had actual tickets on their vehicles issues by a different person as this guy's shift started about the same time as I arrived.

• The link lonestar shared is accurate. Don’t contact them in any way, shape or form. Have a laugh at the letters they send you that purport to be from a debt collection agency but in reality are all the same firm. They won’t pursue this if you simply ignore the ‘do not ignore’ letters. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    They’re scum. Do not pay!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Just a few different views on the private parking situation... I have had two from a venue locally where I was ticketed despite 1. having a pass in my van, and 2. going to collect my pass. The companies chased me but in the end it petered out. All good there.

3 years ago I broke down coming home from a gig in Cardiff. I had to pull into a hotel car park to be safe, and wait for the AA. I never received a ticket, nor a court order, and have ended up with a CCJ affecting many aspects of my financial life. I can't pay it as the reference numbers on my credit file don't tally with those of the parking company. The Hotel won't help me out. The parking firm don't have any way to contact them aside from paying, which you can only do with a valid reference, which I don't have. I could appeal but this would cost a fortune and quite possibly be unsuccessful, and not fix the CCJ problem anyway. It can go very wrong! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    There was a court of appeal decision a couple of years ago that upholds these, you used to be able to ignore them and they would go away. So, ignoring it is generally seen as bad advice now. 
    The problem is that the appeals process doesn't freeze the date on the original ticket, there is a proposed change in the law but it hasn't gone through yet. Stupid loophole that works for the parking companies.
    I'd re-read what the notice is for ( for example failure to display a ticket is different than failure to buy a ticket) and appeal if you think you are in the right rather than in the moral right. I appealed one not that long ago and it was sorted quickly ( ideally I'd have had some kind of apology from the parking company for wasting my time). I did try appealing one MrsTheWeary got on Asda car park by asking Asda to intervene, they did respond but they wouldn't help. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DO NOT IGNORE

Anyone here who has said "ignore it" is completely wrong, and not only has this been proven in court, but the judge in question made particular reference to incorrect, unqualified opinions on the internet saying "ignore it". 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/03/britains-biggest-parking-fine-motorist-told-must-pay-24500-ignored/amp/
  • Also, never ever ever trust a parking warden when they tell you to park without a ticket. They are performance-managed on number of issued tickets, and if you believe what they say, they'll just ticket you (easy!) and deny it later.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Exact same situation with my father in law. The other 3 in the band paid their fines, he said you don't have to and ignored it. He thought he'd got away with it cos he had nothing through the post. Turns out the car was still registered to a previous address, and when they finally found out where he lived he got a CCJ. 

So it seems that ignoring it is the worst option, but that's not to say you shouldn't argue against it first.
  • I've found the Pepipoo forum very helpful on stuff like this. And I agree with the posts saying do not ignore, and definitely do not identify the driver (I nearly blew a very easy appeal because I identified myself as a driver).

With private tickets, often contacting the landowner is a good way to go. I was given an unfair ticket on a piece of land owned by a Marriott hotel, and I wrote to them demanding that they cancel the ticket. They can lean on the firm to do it, and then you don't have to go through the rigmarole of the appeals process. I told Marriott that I'd never stay in one of their hotels again, or something to that effect. Thankfully they didn't ask how many times in the past I've stayed in one of their hotels.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • the Pepipoo forum is brilliant. Ive got off many of these charges following the directions, even hospital ones. DO NOT IGNORE, best to nip it in the bud, which is quite easy to do.