Sun holiday in January ? Egypt ?

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Sharm is pretty dodgy these days by all accounts (as is most/all of Sinai). You're definitely better off in Aqaba if you want the Red Sea thing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    I've been looking at Mexico again...  guaranteed weather, pretty much.  About twice as expensive as the Canaries but the flight man....  11h.  ...and 11h back again.  That's 22h in a metal tube for a week away - even if it is a posh 787 metal tube.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've been looking at Mexico again...  guaranteed weather, pretty much.  About twice as expensive as the Canaries but the flight man....  11h.  ...and 11h back again.  That's 22h in a metal tube for a week away - even if it is a posh 787 metal tube.
    Mexico is also full of Americans. 
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Emp_Fab said:
    Don’t fly in a 787. You have been warned.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, I can't resist.... @PC_Dave - go on then......   what do you think is wrong with the 787 ?
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oh, I can't resist.... @PC_Dave - go on then......   what do you think is wrong with the 787 ?
    Just a small matter of the engines falling apart inside and having to be replaced on every 787 ever. No biggie. Put it this way, if the engineers at work won’t fly on them, and would rather fly Scarebus, then that’s all you need to know about that. But don’t listen to me, I know nothing about such things. 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    edited January 2019
    I have no idea what you do.  @PC_Dave ; Why should I 'not listen to you (because) you know nothing about such things' ?

Obviously you were being sarcastic there, so am I to assume your job is something to do with aviation ?

Funnily enough, I was wondering why TUI flights to Cancun are taking 11h+ when I've been there before somewhat quicker.  I looked at their routing and it's all down the eastern US coast rather than the far more direct route across the water.  This would make sense if they are prone to engine trouble.
    You no speak to me now ?

Well, after some investigation of my own, it turns out the issue relates to the RR Trent 1000 engine.  The majority of 787's are fitted with the General Electric GEnx-1B which don't have these issues.  Even if I did fly on a Trent engined 787, the risk of both engines failing on the same flight are microscopic.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 604
    Safer option? Local sun bed for a week. That is bad isn't it :-(
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Emp_Fab said:
    You no speak to me now ?

Well, after some investigation of my own, it turns out the issue relates to the RR Trent 1000 engine.  The majority of 787's are fitted with the General Electric GEnx-1B which don't have these issues.  Even if I did fly on a Trent engined 787, the risk of both engines failing on the same flight are microscopic.
    Weren't you supposed to be a pilot by now?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    edited January 2019

Aqaba could be good, also consider the place next door, Eilat, which is over the border in Israel. It will be hot, and from there you could (I have done it) Petra, in 2-3 hours via an organised tour. Petra is superb, one of few places that IMO exceed the hype.

Eilat is directly next to Aqaba, at the tip of the red sea. Nice beaches, nice resort style hotels if that is what you are after. The town is OK, quote sterile, but clean, safe, and essentially a purpose built tourist spot. Being Israeli, its very relaxed and friendly.

I've been to both TLV and Aqaba, and they are very similar really. Given a choice, I'd opt for Israel over Jordan, more relaxed, though Jordanians are lovely people, very friendly and chilled out. Interesting country.

From Eilat, you can take a flight to Tel Aviv, or Jerusalem, both ace places. About 40 minutes on a small prop plane. Tel Aviv itself is a brilliant place for a holiday. I've been there in December and its been high 20s, warm sea etc. You could do a two stop holiday - fly to Tel Aviv, 5 hours from London, then onto Eilat, and back. Take in a load of sights and do some beach slobbing and if you fancy it, some superb diving too.

Canaries - hmm, a real gamble on the weather tbh at that time of the year. And they are a bit crap really.

Turkey - Dalaman/Antalya area may be warm, but likely not, and probably wet.

edited January 2019
    octatonic said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    You no speak to me now ?

Yeah...  The bottom line was it was far too risky a gamble.  My lust for my own dreams would have adversely affected my family.  Had I been a single man, I'd have probably gone for it and risked everything, but I can't.  I haven't even been up gliding for a while either.

Oh.... you were taking the piss ?

@snap Thanks for the suggestions.  I won't support Israel by holidaying there though - I won't even buy their produce here.  I'll look into the other ideas though.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16010
    Your loss ..........never mind, you can take Corbin and go to somewhere else instead .Why not just make a donation to Hamas to properly cement your ant-Israel bias or better still book a week in Gaza City or Khan Younis........see how much they will love you and how safe and welcome you will feel .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited January 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    octatonic said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    You no speak to me now ?

Yeah...  The bottom line was it was far too risky a gamble.  My lust for my own dreams would have adversely affected my family.  Had I been a single man, I'd have probably gone for it and risked everything, but I can't.  I haven't even been up gliding for a while either.

Oh.... you were taking the piss ?

Not exactly, or at least I wasn't trying to be mean about it.
    99.9% of the things I say don't have malice in them.
    You cunt!

But I wasn't up to date with the flight plan stuff (pun intended).
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Dominic said:
    Your loss ..........never mind, you can take Corbin and go to somewhere else instead .Why not just make a donation to Hamas to properly cement your ant-Israel bias or better still book a week in Gaza City or Khan Younis........see how much they will love you and how safe and welcome you will feel .
    Wow, where did that outrage come from??

You are right though, I wouldn't feel at all safe holidaying in Gaza City. Then again I wouldn't feel safe holidaying in Florida if Israel were heel bent on wiping it off the face of the planet...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    Your loss ..........never mind, you can take Corbin and go to somewhere else instead .Why not just make a donation to Hamas <snip>
    You know, that's not a bad idea!  I've always supported the Palestinians and their fight against the brutal Israeli imperialists.

I used to help the Friends of Palestine many many years ago.  If you hadn't suggested it, it wouldn't have occurred to me!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Mexico/Yucatan peninsula weather superb all year round, there's been a lot of bad press about Cancun and Playa. Playa Del Carmen is roughly an hour south of cancun, brilliant place and fairly safe. We went in May and so it was baking hot, I've never sweated so much in my life. Plenty to do, the Coba ruins are worth a visit also the Xcaret Eco park is fantastic. Only downside is the 10:50 minute flight just too long for me.     
    We've done the Riviera Maya a few times now and Xcaret is great.  Did you go to the show in the evening in the big arena ?  Fabulous !  We did Cozumel too one year but moved after a week to the Occidental next to Xcaret as it was too quiet where we were.  The trip to Chichen-Itza was interesting but it took forever to get there and was unbearably hot.

They're taking over 11h now to get there too...  fuck that.  Maybe if we were going for a month !
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    Emp_Fab said:

@snap Thanks for the suggestions.  I won't support Israel by holidaying there though - I won't even buy their produce here.  I'll look into the other ideas though.

My views on Israel and the conflict changed a lot once I'd spent time there. Everyone I met simply wanted to live in peace, regardless of race. Their view was that they are surrounded by countries who want to eliminate them from the region. Something like a hundred or so rockets a day get fired into Israel from Palestinian regions every day. 

However, when I said well why no stop rubbing salt in by having settlements, they were less forthcoming. We drove from TLV to Jerusalem. Along some stretches of the road there were quite high wire fences and military checkpoints, where we were checked out. These were new. Why's that, I asked. There had been several instances of cars attacked with rockets and guns, was the answer. Very sad, and ultimately pointless.

From the outside, it can appear very black and white. When you are there, on the ground, and not just in Israel, but in neighbouring Arab states, and you talk to people, you do find your western media informed perceptions are not quite on the money.

You could find a political reason not to visit any middle eastern state. When I was working over there, the only country where I didn't feel that someone was trying to shaft me at every stage of the way was in Israel.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    We've done the Riviera Maya a few times now and Xcaret is great.  Did you go to the show in the evening in the big arena ?  Fabulous !  We did Cozumel too one year but moved after a week to the Occidental next to Xcaret as it was too quiet where we were.  The trip to Chichen-Itza was interesting but it took forever to get there and was unbearably hot.

They're taking over 11h now to get there too...  fuck that.  Maybe if we were going for a month !
    Ha Ha! Yes we did that evening arena show at Xcaret it was brilliant wasn’t it? entertaining stuff, loved the mariachi singers were incredible, highlight of holiday for me was swimming in a cenote in coba with bats flying above my head awesome stuff, but that bloody flight.