Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mid/high gain amp with useable cleans.

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
Toying with adding another amp head in the next few weeks - I have some rock gigs this year so need a fairly heavyish tone but occasionally mid gain and  cleans.    Led Zep. ac/dc and Sykes era whitesnake range of sounds.     

I could just use the ax8 so it’s not an essential purchase but maybe a simple amp and a delay will do the job and be more fun... 

In the past I’ve had some cracking amps they could do the job easily - H&K Triamp, Triple Rectifier and an EVH but I’d like to try something’s different - not many 3 channel amps out there so I guess a two channel with some pedal assistance would work. 

What is everyone else using for rock these days?
(Or has everyone switched over to a helix/fractal and left the big old amps behind)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Orange or Matamp? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    rico said:
    Orange or Matamp? 
    I’d always though they had a looser more open sound?       
    I was thinking maybe Bogner Shiva?      Maybe a different Mesa - not sure if the Lonestar has enough gain but maybe another model might be flexible enough.  
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Marshall DSL
    Orange Rockerverb

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 274
    Mesa Boogie Mk V
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Diesel Herbert.. hugely versatile
    play every note as if it were your first
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Jet City.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

edited January 2019
    Clarky said:
    Diesel Herbert.. hugely versatile
    I’ve never tried a Diesel - ugly looking things but I’ll check them out thanks.  

ICBM said:
    Jet City.

I had wondered about Soldano - I’m not sure about the decatone I had fancied as it gets a lot of flack online but it would be great on paper.     I didn’t think jetcity did cleans and dirty so we’ll but I’ll have a look - could be a cheap way forward.  
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    edited January 2019
    A Jetcity based around a Soldano HotRod does decent cleans, although no-one would mistake it for a fender.

But you did say decent.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    These look very nice...

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited January 2019
    Check out the Suhr PT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited January 2019
    Bogner or a Friedman or Suhr PT or Hedgehog, if your budget stretches to those.

Thomman are doing a deal and giving away the proprietary MIDI floorboard when you buy a H&K Grandmeister from them- plenty of gain there, decent cleans and in-built FX, compact, versatile and loud enough

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Mesa Stiletto has great cleans - apparently very similar to the lonestar, but I've never tried the latter. And despite it being possible to make the gain very bright, when you set it right it's brilliant sounding.
  • Diezel VH4 and D-Moll both have really nice clean channels.

As does the Orange Rockerverb MKIII.

Bye!

Thanks chaps - so long as it can get useable cleans without too much faff it’ll be fine, but finding that on some with nice high gain and boost is where I’m at.     I know I can get an evh to do it so I have a fall back but at the moment I’m leaning towards a Bogner Shiva/Ecstasy or a Decatone/Hot rod+ 
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    edited January 2019
    Not a decatone. Decatone has a shared EQ for 3 separate channels which seems to work less than the shared EQ across 2 channels as per soldano norm.

Some SLO's have the advantage of a scoop (SRV) mod which makes the 2 channel shared eq even more viable.

I've got a pleasant (to my ears) gritty clean out of my HR50+ in the past.

Seriously though, the Jet City's cop most of the HR's sound

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    John_P said:
    Thanks chaps - so long as it can get useable cleans without too much faff it’ll be fine, but finding that on some with nice high gain and boost is where I’m at.     I know I can get an evh to do it so I have a fall back but at the moment I’m leaning towards a Bogner Shiva/Ecstasy or a Decatone/Hot rod+ 
    How clean do you want it though?
    Do you want a Roland JC, spanky Fender tones, or on the edge Marshall clean?
  • A Blackstar series one would cover this easily. You can pick the heads up very cheap second hand.

I seen a 50 watt head just this week for £250 on one of the Facebook groups. 

I used to gig the 2x12 combo with a TC Nova System in the loop.
    It was a nice little compact Rig. I used the TC for all my delays and modulations and also to change the 3 channels on the amp via midi.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    Mesa Stiletto..

Mine knocked my Shiva off the top spot.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6625
    I currently have it up for sale (I'm sort of rethinking it) but Marshall Astoria Dual. Great cleans. Classic rock level dirt. Handwired. 30w with power scaling. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Beyond the Soldano and Mesa content already listed:

Rivera Clubster Royale 
    Bad Cat Lynx (though I’ve been looking for one for ages)
    VHT Pitbull 
    Framus Dragon