Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    Actually, I’ve got a little respect for them.  They’ve found a way to sell the Emperor’s new clothes to a worldwide audience.  If their customers are rich and stupid enough to fall for this crap then maybe their profit could be considered a ‘stupid tax’.  The punters are happy, the company moreso.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I don't want moss growing all over my turntable, thank you very much.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534

Perhaps the moss is extra? Giving the music a more 'organic', 'energising' presence?

• gringopig said:

https://www.analogueseduction.net/nordost-usb-cables/nordost-heimdall-2-usb-cable.html

Classic! "reduces internal microphonics and high-frequency impedance resonance"  Yowza. 

OWWW ma teats are hurting!

I'm personally of the opinion that the mooks who buy into and proselytise this crap with USB cables deserve to have their band accounts rinsed. You can shout, "THE USB STANDARD IS SELF-CORRECTING AND NOT SUBJECT TO MICROPHONICS OR RESONANCE OF ANY KIND!!!!" from the rooftops, and it still won't make a dent in the religious belief systems of the mooks who keep these asshats in business.
    <space for hire>
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Only works if you have a Sukhavati power cable starting at £20,000 for 1 metre though.

https://www.thecableco.com/sukhavati-power-cable.html

Too expensive to be photographed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited January 2019
    I think these products, for the most part, are created to:

A) fish for a few sales to people with enough money it doesn't matter. Another example would be a limited edition laboughini - it'll break down, maybe catch fire, won't be comfortable, and will cost over a million pounds. They'll sell out before they're built 

B )"normalise" the cost of other overpriced parts that actually will sell. For example... 

https://www.hifix.co.uk/audioquest-carbon-usb-cable-a-to-b-0-75m?gclid=Cj0KCQiA68bhBRCKARIsABYUGieuN2aV6x_2Ku1uGuBlDj96mZO4kHgXMMbXxpiEXs9WjFM23WTuDFcaAg6aEALw_wcB

Seems very cheap in comparison but offers a "cost effective" upgrade. 
  • Also if sort of relevant interest... If true, this would effectively call into question the whole market  

https://www.nuraphone.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA68bhBRCKARIsABYUGicfuLrFwQb2289vlYYy96xYS1-cqenm8-97WDWHuL1LJXM8Wfraf6IaAm5TEALw_wcB

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    To be fair, this is just the extreme version of the law of diminished returns kicking in, it kicks in WAY earlier than this.

"I hate Epiphone cos of the headstock waaah" is just a less extreme version ;)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Only works if you have a Sukhavati power cable starting at £20,000 for 1 metre though.

https://www.thecableco.com/sukhavati-power-cable.html

Is that a joke?
    The whole thing reads like a parody.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    I'm thinking of splashing out twenty grand on this box...  apparently it 'runs-in' cables to 'maximise their frequency response'.

It also works on digital cables, giving them an audio bandwidth of 0Hz to 50KHz.  The blurb refers to impedance values in Megawatts, so they obviously know their stuff.

Seems like a bargain !

https://www.thecableco.com/quantum-burning-technology-burn-in-machine.html

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    edited July 2020

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    gringopig said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I'm thinking of splashing out twenty grand on this box...  apparently it 'runs-in' cables to 'maximise their frequency response'.

It also works on digital cables, giving them an audio bandwidth of 0Hz to 50KHz.  The blurb refers to impedance values in Megawatts, so they obviously know their stuff.

Seems like a bargain !

That is a masterclass in producing some text with technical terms that fool people into thinking it is based on actual electromagnetic principles but is in fact bullshit, The suggestion is by firing a signal down the wire at 8 discrete CW frequencies at 70 Watts the cable will in some way be changed by the £20,000 module and 'remember' some increase in frequency bandwidth. 
    Call it 'Quantum' and the milking pods are nearing....

Never buy anything off someone who thinks impedance is measured in Watts.

It was too boring to read all of it, but the phrase which caught my eye was "let us try to explain our technology in a more illustrious manner".
  • Philly_Q said:
    gringopig said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Seems like a bargain !

That is a masterclass in producing some text with technical terms that fool people into thinking it is based on actual electromagnetic principles but is in fact bullshit, The suggestion is by firing a signal down the wire at 8 discrete CW frequencies at 70 Watts the cable will in some way be changed by the £20,000 module and 'remember' some increase in frequency bandwidth. 

It was too boring to read all of it, but the phrase which caught my eye was "let us try to explain our technology in a more illustrious manner".

My favourite bit was the implication the cable remembers what sort of capacitors are in the box of nonsense, and thus take on those qualities. 
    edited July 2020
  • Philly_Q said:
    gringopig said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Seems like a bargain !

My favourite bit was the implication the cable remembers what sort of capacitors are in the box of nonsense, and thus take on those qualities. 
    Hmmm...it's almost as though they looked at how many people fall for homeopathy, looked at the number of gullible idiots in the audiophile world, and said..."Hey, lads...I've got an idea...".
    <space for hire>
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Of course as soon as you connect the “corrected” cables to your own hi-fi, then all that magic science gets undone. So if you did complain that they don’t make any difference (unlikely I know) then the manufacturer has a get out of jail free card. I’ve seen various variations on utter bollocks in hi-fi over the years but that takes some beating.......although, they do have beeswax filled fuses that somehow make the bass sound better. https://www.thecableco.com/accessories/fuses/ultimate-shd-bees-wax-fuse.html
    A snip at a mere $225 of your finest Yankee dollars. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited January 2019
    If you can only listen to music for 20 minutes between fiddling with a piece of wood then price seems fair to me
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I think it would be fair to say that there are members of this forum who do not accept the concept of an old guitar that has Mojo.

And yet......in the guitar section, we have a current thread in which an excellent, thoughtful, and level headed young musician called Barrie Cadogan is talking about the desirability of vintage guitars. As well as playing his 1962 Gibson 330, there is another clip made at the same time in which he says this about the 1959 Gibson Les Paul he is holding:
    "All that old music is here in this instrument"

What would be an appropriate single word to describe what Barrie has noticed?    =)

Who is right?
    Is it Barrie or is it the Forum deniers?