Carvin LB70 (1992-95?)

What's Hot
FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
Just been offered an early Nineties Carvin LB70 bass guitar with case. Koa through-neck construction, ebony fingerboard, Sperzel locking machineheads, Carvin/Keisel H50 pickups, Vol./Bal./Treble/Bass controls, Wilkinson USA fugly bridge.

Does anyone here have much experience of these? The woodwork seems fine. It is the pickups and electronics that I worry about. For instance, the stock pickups seem to be of the same length and height adjustment screw spacing. What aftermarket pickups would retrofit without modification?

Be seeing you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited January 2019
    Turned out that the Carvin H50 pickups are the same dimensions as a long, bridge position Jazz Bass pickup.

The active EQ is functional but unexciting.

I have declined the opportunity to acquire the instrument - even at a knockdown price.
    Be seeing you.
    All change.

The previous owner of the bass returned to suggest trading it for an Ibanez guitar that I rarely play plus a modest cash difference. Done! (He just has been.) It’s project time again.

Initial thoughts of installing a Roland GK-BG Kit synth pickup and electronics had to be abandoned. The LB70 control knobs would get in the way of the hexaphonic pickup mounting lugs.

The idea of a piezo bridge is tempting, probably a Schaller 3D. 

Not sure what to do about the stock pickups and controls. The H50 in the bridge position sounds complex and interesting. The H50 in the other position sounds pretty “meh”.

I quite fancy the idea of those Oil City Pickups “Bridgehouse” signature RIC-inspired pickups.

Might just use what I already have. i.e. EMG or Duncan/Basslines active J style pickups and three band EQ.
    Be seeing you.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Got any pictures?
    Nothing that I can post from my present location.
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Nothing that I can post from my present location.
    *intrigued*
    My Jan 6th post was made using a smartphone, whilst I was out of the flat, some distance away from the LB70.

By the time that I returned home, all thoughts of photography had slipped my mind.

In all probability, I shall make no alterations to this bass guitar. In a week or so, the previous owner’s band plans will change (again!) and he will want the Carvin back.
    Be seeing you.
    Regarding the previous owner of the Carvin LB70, these three guitars are just some of his cast-offs.

https://i.imgur.com/xwK5zmr.jpg?1

He had custody of the white Jackson RRV32 for a few months, the blueburst LTD for a few weeks and the orange Ibanez for a matter of hours last Saturday. 

When the band that he plans to start later this month grinds to a standstill, he will probably revert to bass. 
    Be seeing you.
    edited March 2019
    When the band that he plans to start later this month grinds to a standstill, he will probably revert to bass. 
    I was right. 

The previous owner of the Carvin bass has decided that he wants it back. (Qu'elle surprise?) I shall be taking a guitar in exchange. 

Not sure that I'll miss the LB70. It is very well built but the pickups are a tad bland. They record nicely but lack the warmth and charm of a good P, J, 'Ray or RIC.
    Be seeing you.