Talk to me about TVs

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    The price difference between smart TVs and their corresponding non-smart TVs is around the same as the price as a fire stick/Roku etc. to be fair
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    I just bought a Hisense 43 inch to replace one in our living room, we have a 49 inch LG in the dining room and the Hisense is just as good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    Ben8010 said:
    The price difference between smart TVs and their corresponding non-smart TVs is around the same as the price as a fire stick/Roku etc. to be fair
    Fair enough! 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11410
    Ben8010 said:

The software in the smart TV might be unsupported in 3 or 4 years time.  If you use an external Fire Stick / Roku / Now TV device, then it's easy to just buy a new one when the current one goes out of date.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    crunchman said:
    Ben8010 said:

The software in the smart TV might be unsupported in 3 or 4 years time.  If you use an external Fire Stick / Roku / Now TV device, then it's easy to just buy a new one when the current one goes out of date.
    Or easier to update to the latest version/firmware 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    I have always stick to John Lewis as they offer a 5 yr guarantee and when we did have a problem it was sorted out in two days. You may be paying a little more , but worth it in the end.

You can get 5 year guarantees elsewhere.  Richer Sounds do them.

Richer Sounds would probably be worth a look.  They have a 32" Toshiba listed at £179.

Yeah i have just noticed they are doing 5 yr guarantees, still rather go to JL
    “Ken sent me.”
  • Ben8010 said:
    Need to get a 32" TV in the £180-200 bracket. I've spotted JVC one for £180, but my brother has one and doesn't really recommend it (he says it's a bit slow and you can probably do better for the price). Other brands in the price range are Hisense, Toshiba, Sharp, Panasonic among all them other common and relatively cheap brands.

Can anyone recommend any of these brands?
    If you want i can look up any TV on my Which app. 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited January 2019
    Ben8010 said:
    @MentalSharps mainly Netflix and about 10-12ft. The size has to be set at 32" tho as that's as big as what will fit in the little cove it's going in.

Cheers everyone as well
    Is the cove physically built in the wall and would require you to re-arrange your room? Or is it in a piece of furniture?

At that distance, watching on such a small screen unfortunately won't actually make any difference at all what you get. You won't really be able to tell any difference between even 720p HD and SD on a 32" diagonal. So you could just pick something up for a little as possible from freecycle or gumtree or a FB group and save the money towards a better TV when you can watch properly.
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    @MentalSharps it's the only place it can go. It's not actually a cove as such, but the furniture in the room (which can only be rearranged to a little extent) is arranged in a way that makes a little cove like place where the TV will go. I am tempted to up the budget and get a 43er tbh (if one will fit, I'm yet to properly measure it)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11410
    Ben8010 said:
    @MentalSharps mainly Netflix and about 10-12ft. The size has to be set at 32" tho as that's as big as what will fit in the little cove it's going in.

Cheers everyone as well
    Is the cove physically built in the wall and would require you to re-arrange your room? Or is it in a piece of furniture?

At that distance, watching on such a small screen unfortunately won't actually make any difference at all what you get. You won't really be able to tell any difference between even 720p HD and SD on a 32" diagonal. So you could just pick something up for a little as possible from freecycle or gumtree or a FB group and save the money towards a better TV when you can watch properly.

My in-laws used to have a 32" TV.  I could see a difference between BBC1 and BBC1 HD.  I'll check tonight but I'm pretty sure I can see a slight difference between BBC1 and BBC1 HD on the 24" TV we have in our bedroom.

Given that any new TV you buy will have 1080 capability, it doesn't really matter.  When you can get a new one with a 5 year warranty for under £200, it's not really worth faffing around on places like Gumtree.

Unless you are planning to plug it into a soundbar or HiFi system, the most important thing to check is which model has the least bad speakers.

• I modern bezzle-less 43" TV may well be the same size or smaller than a 32" with a massive bezzle.