What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Halloween 2018.
    I was a little disappointed. The reviews have been good and I was expecting a very strong film.
    There were no shock moments in the movie and I am not even sure if it was a Horror film.
    5 out of 10.
    I am still in awe of the original Halloween movie.

Eating Animals. (2018).
    A documentary on corporate farming, animal welfare, whistle blowers.........

Oh......
    That was the Horror Film.

Excellent. 8 out of 10.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The Revenant

This passed me by when released and I never got around to watching it, until BBC showed it the other night.

I was aware of the bear scene, so wasn't that shocked but it was certainly well done. If anything the scene near the start where the natives attack the trappers and drive them into the lake was better, that looked fantastic with lots of long shots spinning from person to person.

The whole thing looked great, but I spent most of it thinking "well he got better quickly....hold on, surely his leg was broken now he's running and leaping onto the back of a horse" so that kept pulling me out of the movie.

I'm sure it would have benefited from a big screen viewing but I was actually a bit let down by it as it got a lot of praise (and awards) and apart from looking good (if you like snowy hills) it didn't grab me.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    stonevibe said:
    Mandy - Classic weird '80s sci-fi /cult/ drug shit

I imagine this film was made by blending Mad Max, Hell Raiser, Wild at Heart, with a near lethal dose of LSD. 

Brilliant. (I think).

Now, controversially I saw Bumblebee the other day... and... it wasn't shit. There, I said it. A transformers movie isn't shit. Supposedly a prequel but also clearly a retcon of the series as a whole host of things happen differently to the beginning of the first movie... so hopefully one of the studio execs will say "huh, turns out there's a huge market for films that aren't shit... someone lock Bay in a dark dungeon and lets make some decent transformers films and a boat load of cash"... or more likely the execs will say "oh, look, kids like transformers films after all, get Bay on the phone so he can make another dozen fuck-awful shit-flicks"  
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Gangs Of New York

The pan pipe scenes where they're getting ready for battle always hype me the fuck up. DDL is fantastic and the rest of the cast is pretty stellar. The plot is a bit predictable but it is one of my favourite Scorsese films.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Bumblebee - 7/10. Better than the BayFormers films that came before it; I really enjoyed it, and was smiling like a loon for the first 5 minutes, especially seeing Soundwave and Ravage!

Ghost Stories - 4/10. Actually pretty rubbish IMO. Started out OK, then seemed to delve into some complete nonsense.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    We watched Games Night at the weekend, fairly decent comedy, I generally like Jason Bateman think he should be more successful than he is. entertaining film.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I watched a bit of Burlesque last night with Cher and Christina Aguilera ( they were in the film, not watching it with me). Wow, that's some piece of crap. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 494
    I watched Stan and Ollie last night...very touching and poignant. I loved it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    After a gap of a great many years I finally got around to rewatching Local Hero again. What a charming and delightful film. A very young Peter Capaldi.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    axisus said:
    After a gap of a great many years I finally got around to rewatching Local Hero again. What a charming and delightful film. A very young Peter Capaldi.
    A work of enduring genius :). And one of Burt Lancaster's last films, I think - he was great too.

For me...

What We Did On Our Holiday

Billy Connolly, David Tennant and Rosamund Pike in a decent fairly lightweight family comedy - a dysfunctional family meet for grandad's birthday... quite a lot of dry observational humour and a couple of laugh-out-loud moments. Not a great film, but a good one if you like that sort of thing. Connolly in particular is excellent.

7.5/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

The Beguiled (2017 and 1971)

A couple of weeks ago I watched Sofia Coppola's new adaptation and it made me curious to go back and watch the 1971 Don Siegel version with Clint Eastwood, which I hadn't seen for decades.

There's not a huge amount of difference in the plot so I'd imagine they're both fairly faithful to the book.  Both are quite good, I wouldn't say one's better than the other.  The new version is certainly more arty and beautiful to look at but the '70s film feels more gritty and sexy, I think it tells the story more effectively.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Braquers ( The Crew)

Violent French gang/ crime thriller on Netflix. Not a lot of dialogue so the subtitles won't bother you if it sounds like your kind of thing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I Kill Giants (on Netflix).

I was expecting it to be a bit Buffy, but it was quite A Monster Calls.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    I watched a bit of Burlesque last night with Cher and Christina Aguilera ( they were in the film, not watching it with me). Wow, that's some piece of crap. 

I watched some of that too, it seems to be on endless repeat on Sony Movies at the moment. I think “piece of crap” actually overrates it, it’s like it was written by a bunch of 14 year olds. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    The Favourite - a fun couple of hours. I quite liked that everytime you get interested in the history, the director threw some nonsense fun into it (e.g. the dancing). Quite weird camerawork - some very wide angles and unflattering close-ups - but that gives it a gritty style, nothing like a typical costume drama. Great acting. 8/10
  • The Green Book

A bit sugary sweet but good movie.  Viggo put on a little weight for certain
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Old Man and the Gun, brilliantly sweet and charming film with commanding leads in Redford and Spacek, highly recommended
  • I Kill Giants (on Netflix).

I was expecting it to be a bit Buffy, but it was quite A Monster Calls.
    Watched that last month, wasn’t sure what to expect but enjoyed it. Felt quite emotional by the end as I saw a lot of my eldest in the main character regarding her mum.  Not seen A Monster Calls. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Lucky Number Slevin - awful film. Bought for £1 from a charity shop - wow, what a great cast, so it must be good, I thought. I was robbed.

Sort of stylish, sort of slick, sort of clever. But the characters are unlikable, and the 'twist' was sign-posted so early that it was tedious waiting to get to the plot's reveal. After that, there's the same sort of unrealistic 180-degree moral reversal that was repeated by Spacey's character in the (really rather similar) Baby Driver - just to make for a Hollywood Happy Ending. There was, at least, some witty dialog. 2/10
  • Another one for Stan and Ollie here, must admit there was some gentle eye wiping going on at the end. Fantastic film , almost a romance and really touching.