Now NAD: EVH 5150 iii users talk to me :)

What's Hot
FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4287
edited January 2019 in Amps
Hey guys 

After the complete PRS MT15 debacle and continuous issues with QC I’m not going to bother at all and I’m no looking elsewhere for my metal tone 

So the EVH 5150 iii 50 watt is another option for me, the new 2.0 version 

I’ve owned the LBX and sold it on as it was a harsh box of fizz but looking at the big brother 50 watt it sounds really nice in reviews in YouTube etc 

So what are your thoughts. I like a lot of low end punch and would also be nice for it to be good for lead tones as well. The PRS fell short for me on lead tones as was too harsh but clean and OD rhythm was great when it actually worked that is 

Also is the 100 watt any better? Only thing is that it doesn’t have a resonance knob and I really like that 

Many thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I've played the 50 watter in a shop and was very impressed, even at the low volumes it was sounding fat, chunky and bro0otal without any boost. The lower gain sounds were good as well. If I was after a new amp then this would be on my list for sure.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Hey guys 

After the complete PRS MT15 debacle and continuous issues with QC I’m not going to bother at all and I’m no looking elsewhere for my metal tone 

So the EVH 5150 iii 50 watt is another option for me, the new 2.0 version 

I’ve owned the LBX and sold it on as it was a harsh box of fizz but looking at the big brother 50 watt it sounds really nice in reviews in YouTube etc 

So what are your thoughts. I like a lot of low end punch and would also be nice for it to be good for lead tones as well. The PRS fell short for me on lead tones as was too harsh but clean and OD rhythm was great when it actually worked that is 

Also is the 100 watt any better? Only thing is that it doesn’t have a resonance knob and I really like that 

Many thanks 
    If you want chunk and plenty of power for the chugz, you need a Diezel or a 2 channel rectifier.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I really liked the evh amps.   I’m thinking about a higher gain amp now and the only reason I haven’t just bought one is because I fancy something I haven’t tried before.    If get to mid Feb without an amp I now I just grab an evh and it’ll do what I want.  thry seem to be selling pretty cheap used these days as well.  

However if you didn’t like the lbx then it’s probably safer to try one before you buy as I wouldn’t expect them to be miles apart for the basic tone. 
  • If you want a lower wattage amp, I really liked the Jim root terror. Absolutely awesome tone.

The evh amps are great though, listen to most modern thrash albums from the last decade or two and it's basically that. 
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4287
    edited January 2019
    Thanks guys

I'm only playing at home and have some great amps here especially my cornford MK50 which has enough gain on tap but just doesn't have the tight bottom end for playing stuff in drop C etc hence why i'm still looking for another amp that can do that but still use it for basic rock as well.

I also have a two amp setup so will be mixing it with either a cornford or carvin legacy

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Thanks guys

I'm only playing at home and have some great amps here especially my cornford MK50 which has enough gain on tap but just doesn't have the tight bottom end for playing stuff in drop C etc hence why i'm still looking for another amp that can do that but still use it for basic rock as well.

I also have a two amp setup so will be mixing it with either a cornford or carvin legacy

Ever considered a Mesa Rectifier series of amps? Sounds like it would fit your requirements.

The EVH is great but their forte is tight and liquid gain. The rectifiers just sound bigger and looser.
  • It’s the tight tone I’m after as the Cornford Sounds huge but is loose 
  • @rockmonster ;

Was it you that was a big fan of these amps? 
    It’s the tight tone I’m after as the Cornford Sounds huge but is loose 
    An eq in the loop may help with that....
  • rawk100 said:
    You think so? 

I have an MXR 10 band EQ here somewhere but wouldn’t know where to start with what frequencies I’d need to adjust 
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    I've also just given up on an MT15 and an LBX2 (which at low volume sounded like a thousand bees trapped inside a metal zone). Have a look at the Laney IRT studio - 3 channels, great metal tone at low volumes and ton of interesting input / output options for recording etc. I just picked one up and so far am very pleased. There's also the SLS which is a newer version of the same.
  • I have a 6505+ which is basically the pre EVHii I think, and the red channel is all I need for massive chug territory!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    rawk100 said:
    You think so? 

I have an MXR 10 band EQ here somewhere but wouldn’t know where to start with what frequencies I’d need to adjust 
    From experience I think it should definitely help. Try cutting the frequencies at 125hz and below first, it may also benefit from a boost in the 500hz and 1khz area. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a EVH 50 watt head. Superb amp. Plenty of power, nice tight overdrive/distortion and a great clean channel too.

• rawk100 said:
    rawk100 said:
    You think so? 

From experience I think it should definitely help. Try cutting the frequencies at 125hz and below first, it may also benefit from a boost in the 500hz and 1khz area. 
    Thanks buddy I’ll give that a try :)
  • I have a 6505+ which is basically the pre EVHii I think, and the red channel is all I need for massive chug territory!
    I did look at one of those and similar in price too 

• johnl said:
    I've also just given up on an MT15 and an LBX2 (which at low volume sounded like a thousand bees trapped inside a metal zone). Have a look at the Laney IRT studio - 3 channels, great metal tone at low volumes and ton of interesting input / output options for recording etc. I just picked one up and so far am very pleased. There's also the SLS which is a newer version of the same.
    I’ll check out those two Laney models

Did you buy a MT15 or just give up before getting one due to all the problems 
  • Was about to pull the trigger on an EVH and not one shop has them in stock in Black tolex 
    rawk100 said:
    rawk100 said:
    You think so? 

I have an MXR 10 band EQ here somewhere byut wouldn’t know where to start with what frequencies I’d need to adjust 
    Thanks buddy I’ll give that a try :)

If you do give it a go then let us know how you got on....cheers.
  • dariusdarius Frets: 619
    I have the 50W (6L6 version)
    It is great. Built like a tank, 3 channels and all the gain you'll need. The LBXs are not the same, they are much less good. 
    But you say it's for the bedroom so unless you're attenuating you will struggle. They are bloody loud and you need to be up past '1' on the volume dial to get things sounding nice.