Why I joined, and what I'm looking for here

What's Hot

Comments

• I own Break the Machine Ltd which is a UK based, family run company/website selling guitar effects pedals and accessories. A customer recommended I join Fretboard as a way of communicating and listening to like minded people in the UK. Having played the guitar for many, many years and also being passionate about effects pedals for the same, it is great to be part of something like this. I hope we can contribute useful things and also look forward to speaking to people through this forum.

We are a UK based, family run company retailing guitar effects pedals and accessories online. 
    https://www.breakthemachine.co.uk  connect@breakthemachine.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • To get a little help and to give a little help , to be part of the community of like minded peeps I spend several hours every day on here and love it up here in the bedroom away from the nagging and the soap opera's guitar in hand mmmm heaven
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I stumbled on the site whilst looking at a review for something or other, but did not join for quite a while. Then I saw Thorpy FX was having a sale and was considering buying a Gunshot FX pedal, so I signed up. Love reading the recent discussions page and commenting where I feel I can make a contribution, and also the pooled guitar knowledge and experience is second to none, and has helped me out so what's not to like. However is running this - keep up the good work!!
  • I'm just doing what I should have done some 20 months ago when I was sat at my computer and typed in guitar forum into google and this site was top of the list and since that day I have spent a happy hour on here in fact there cant be many days since that I have not been on.
  • I joined to learn from Making & Modding as I started my guitar-building hobby. The advice and encouragement I've received has been awesome. 

I use the classifieds from time to time and find it a great place to trade stuff with nice people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi all, I have joined under recommendation from a friend. My partner and I have just had a new addition to the family and despite having to downsize my guitar collection I need to find a way of getting my guitar fix whilst juggling work and family. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 468
    To find out info on how folk get around certain guitar related problems, or advice about guitar parts etc...
    Just some good old inspiration too and sharing info and experience with each other..
  • I'm here mainly to seek advice, or provide it if there is something I feel I can help with. I am 28 and have had very little musical experience until 1 year go when i decided to put some serious hours into piano, then this year i bought myself an Epiphone P93 for Christmas. A google search for easy guitar songs brought me to the "One-chord-progression songs suitable for jams or encores " post.
  • ionianionian Frets: 100
    I'm getting back into playing guitar after perhaps a five year hiatus, although I haven't gigged for 20 years or so. I've just started a new job working for an arts organisation and I'm expected to play with and support the music teaching of kids a lot more than I anticipated - I feel very rusty as a performer and disconnected from what is happening generally in the guitar world. With some general practice I know my muscle memory will kick in, but I need the help of a community to get back up to speed with the gear and technique changes from the past couple of decades.
  • Hi everyone,

Joining this forum was actually part of my new year resolutions. I've been silently reading this forum as a guest slowly gathering a little knowledge here and there over the years.

Long story short I used to play religiously for 10 years and was in a great band but life took over and my playing ability declined and so did my passion over another 9 years. Now's the time to make a change - upgrade my beat up strat and commit to learning a few songs. 

Main reason I joined was to finally upgrade my guitar - it's a Strat copy that I've had for 19 years and the only electric i really play and own. After a horrible pickup upgrade a few years back and wearing out all the woodwork I decided it's time to properly go for a makeover. The aim is upgrade the neck and pickups for a start (neck has already arrived wooo) and then pester everyone on this forum for pickup recommendations. Then I'll see what I can restore from the body and think about a trem upgrade. Regarding pickups I've done a fair amount of research but looking to support a UK based dealer - separate post coming soon for that. 

The other reason I joined was to get my playing back up to scratch so I've tasked myself to the end of the year to learn three two and a half songs: 
    1. Neon by John Mayer
    2. Half of Eugene's Trick Bag by Steve Vai
    3. Pride and Joy by SVR
    Random choices but I really appreciate both ends of the genre spectrum and using this forum as motivation. 

Really looking forward to get active on this forum guys 
  • lineslines Frets: 27

The forum was recommended to me by a friend as a good place to buy and sell gear. It has become apparent that the forum provides so much more than that. Offering a community for discussion and learning, which i fantastic!

The classified section of the forum will be my first port of call as my interests are predominately focused around buying/selling gear.
  • I stumbled on an ad for a rare amp (Phil Jones AG300) in the classifieds here which I ended up buying. Since then I've been loitering around the classifieds section. I'm still on the lookout for the one true guitar which will be perfect for every style (playing in a big band you cover about 70 years of styles) but I'm still looking, tweaking bits here and there.

I'm looking forward to getting into some of the community stuff here. Hopefully there are some kindred spirits knocking around.

Regarding the site, one thing that might be nice is to tweak the search a little bit. I've often been on the lookout for bits of gear (even old sales to get an idea of prices etc.) but I've not worked out how to order the listings by Most Recent. I'm a web developer by trade so I'm happy to muck in with suggestions if that's appropriate.
  • I love talking shop with other guitarists. I enjoy doing mods to my guitars, amps, and pedals, so it's always nice to get another opinion of the project I'm working on. I'm pretty new here, so I don't have any suggestions yet, but I will edit this post when I think of any. :)
  • RussGRussG Frets: 15
    Just posted in the newbie section to sort of introduce myself. Unfortunately, regarding the ten questions thread,, as i dont actually play (yet!!), I couldn't give any answers LOL. 
    However, i joined here as this forum looks like the most comprehensive one on the web, and looking at some of the threads, you seem like a nice bunch!
    When I say Newbie, I really am just that....to coin some lyrics.....two chords and the truth......and that is exactly all I have.
    I have joined an online tutor community...Justin.com....its free LOL, so will see how that goes
  • I’m 39, and I think I’m going through a midlife crisis. I recently gave up playing golf, and last week went to a guitar shop to have a look. An hour later I was the owner of two guitars, an amp and an effects pedal.

Never played guitar before, so I guess I am on here to learn, for moral support, and to look at pictures of shiny new guitars.
  • went to the show at the weekend and took a leaflet.  thought id try it out.  want to get into playing again (long story one day) and this seemed a good place to start.
  • Stillies said:
    went to the show at the weekend and took a leaflet.  thought id try it out.  want to get into playing again (long story one day) and this seemed a good place to start.
    Good to see you here.  We like a long story, so whenever your ready feel free.  

• AmigoAmigo Frets: 119
    I have just joined this forum, with a view to sharing thoughts and gaining wisdom. I plan to upgrade my Godin Core CT HB, I am designing a custom wiring, a modified Jimmy Page (which may not even come from Jimmy), with coils in parallel rather than split for each humbucker, and with phase switch and humbuckers in series. I also want to screen the wires in a certain way. I wish to present my final design for feedback from other users, and also to report back the results.

The replacement pickups of my choice are a pair of Wolfetone Dr Vintage, which I intend to also measure with an LCR (which should arrive in the next fortnight or so). As an electronics engineer I am curious about measuring stuff, so maybe someone will also find that information useful.

I am also—like others—drooling over photos of gear.

• tbctbc Frets: 38
    I joined mainly because I found this website (having never heard of it before) through looking for a Yamaha SA or similar. I found an old sale thread here, saw how well-populated the forum was, and thought I'd join up. Firstly to sell my guitar, fair enough, but hopefully also to learn a fair bit (and maybe buy a guitar too).

In the short term, I'm looking for a cherry red Japanese 335 copy, preferably from the 1980s.

In the long term, I want to improve my guitar playing a lot, and learn what the effects I don't really understand do (what actually is a compressor? Are there other things I could be buying?)
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2959
    I’m 39, and I think I’m going through a midlife crisis. I recently gave up playing golf, and last week went to a guitar shop to have a look. An hour later I was the owner of two guitars, an amp and an effects pedal.

Never played guitar before, so I guess I am on here to learn, for moral support, and to look at pictures of shiny new guitars.
    Fair play to them, they did well to sell you all that.  I bet they saw you coming and thought 'Aye up, here's a bloke who's going through a midlife crisis and just given up golf. Looks like he's ready to part with a few bob.'

Good luck it with all.  You've got to practice every day for 15-30 mins and toughen those fingertips up with hard skin (calluses). Once that's all sorted then 30-60 mins. But the everyday practice is key to getting your brain wired into your fingers.  

Don't give up! Just keep going and ask questions on the forum when you hit any learning walls.