First Jobs

What's Hot
LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
Discussion in the office today was about first proper jobs (Not washing your dads car for 50p ;) ) that you had to apply for, sign contracts etc.

All were fairly boring. At 14 or 15 i got a job as a waiter in a hotel. Was a small place, mainly did waiting tables, but also occasionally worked in the kitchen and cleaned toilets.. all for £4 p/h! Exciting stuff. 

So what did you all start with? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited January 2019
    General office admin dogsbody. Boring but saved what little I could for months and months and eventually bought a US strat.

Wonderful time of my life.
  • Sainsbury's. Shelf stacking. The "managers" were self-important morons.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    edited January 2019
    Corona pop wagon, Saturday lad. Less than a pound a day. Worked up to wagon driver for £2.50 a day whilst at Uni. 

Context. Beer 11p a pint. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    I've never had a part time job. At 18 I did admin in a bearings wharehouse.
    Hence my love of The Two Ronnie's: 
    "the next sketch is set in a ball bearing factory where I play a man who has lost his bearings."
    " and I play a man who has lost his way around "
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31369
    On the end of a machine, packing 500 envelopes in a box every 40 seconds, for 12 hours with no break. 

I had to go like crazy for five minutes or so to get enough seconds ahead to be able to light a cigarette or bite a sandwich. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    p90fool said:
    On the end of a machine, packing 500 envelopes in a box every 40 seconds, for 12 hours with no break. 

I had to go like crazy for five minutes or so to get enough seconds ahead to be able to light a cigarette or bite a sandwich. 
    That was one of my summer jobs... except i got a 5 min break every 4 hrs or something like that.. tough stuff! :)
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3632

First part time job stacking shelves (well, filling freezers to be precise).  First full-time job was at 19 after failing my first year exams at Polytechnic (having scraped in with less than glittering A level results).  This was in 1983 and, having been unsuccessful at a couple of interviews, I took on the job of Junior Car Salesman at a Ford dealership thinking that it would do for a couple of months until I found something better.  £40 per week, 5 1/2 days per week (well below minimum wage in today's money).

Although I didn't stay as a Salesman I stuck with the company for 5 years during which time I re-sat my Maths A level at night school (got a grade A) and left to read Physics at University. 

• DominicDominic Frets: 16014
    Local Guitar Shop...........ESS in Barnet 
    I thought it would be great fun playing lots of lovely guitars for £3 per day
    Fact was it wasn't fun polishing lots of guitars all day and getting told off if I played one 
    I also had to unpack boxes, check inventory.make coffee, and clean the windows
    I was only allowed to plug in and demo a guitar if everybody else was with a customer and that wasn't often.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Part time shelf stacker in Morrisons during the summer for a few months. Evening shifts during the week were fun as there were no customers. Saturday shifts all day though could fuck right off. This was during the heat wave of 2003 as well. The chiller felt like a palace.

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Well I did temp work for the nhs while at college. 

Got sacked for browsing airsoft guns too often. 

£10 an hour, mon-fri... how I long for that now! 

Then I got a temp job with hmv. 

10.5 years later.. I'm still there... 

Well.. I shouldnt complain.. could be on the dole next week... 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290

First and only Saturday job was clearing tables in the Bentalls Centre food court in Kingston.

Original plan was to try hard at college, pass my A levels and become a physiotherapist. Unfortunately Sega Rally / pub and pool was what I invested my time in.

I flunked my A levels and got a job at an independent record shop in Sutton (where a mate already worked). Got paid fuck all but built up a ridiculously good (and large) record collection in a very short space of time, and went to some cracking label / launch parties. Shit job, but good perks.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Waitrose supermarket when I was at college between 16-18. Good bit of pocket money to fund myself and save for driving lessons. Shitty hours (Tues and Fri evenings) but decent enough to get started.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    Not sure I signed anything for the first handful of part-time things: general dogsbody in the Spar; local free paper delivery round, eventually ended up being the local 'depot' for it.

First thing approaching a real job was part-time for Bejam as a freezer stacker (no shelves ;) ). They tried to persuade me to go permie instead of going to uni, but as the two most attractive Saturday girls were already banging the manager and the assistant manager there wasn't much incentive.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Started as a trolley collector at a garden centre. I then worked on the till and the information desk. I was there from school all the way through collage and uni.
  • I worked as a cleaner in Tesco, for a contractor. I hated the early mornings but it was easy money and the rest of the day was mine (unless I worked afternoons/nights etc).

I’d do it again if it paid enough - when I think of the some of the stress I’ve endured in subsequent jobs..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2993
    edited January 2019

Safeways, on Saturdays. I was put to work in the Café and told I was the first man ever to work there. Being a useless workshy 17 year old I did such an appalling job of clearing the tables I was swiftly moved to the fruit and veg section! There I worked under a total self important prick of a manager.

Then some mind numbingly boring jobs in a Laura Ashley's warehouse and manning the phone on the Kays Catalogue Order line.

First proper job was excellent; I got paid to walk around farms in Snowdonia, some of which included whole mountains, mapping habitats and features, for an agri-environment scheme.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

When I was a student I had a summer job at a timber merchant's.  I never got to do anything exciting like working in the sawmill, it was mostly just putting together orders and stacking planks, but I liked it and it was good exercise.

I also worked for a temp agency for a while, stuff like kitchen porter work - i.e. washing up.  That was boring but did give me the opportunity to dazzle my temporary workmates with my ability to do the Sun quick crossword in about 5 seconds.

Also spent a couple of days in a Dairy Crest warehouse packing samples of a cheese called Melbury (it came out about the same time as Lymeswold, but was less popular).  It was freezing cold to stop the cheese going off.

That's about it.

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I'm not sure I signed a contract, but I had a cushty Saturday job for a while in the warehouse at my local M&S. Nearly £3 per hour, which in those days was the cream of the crop as far as Saturday jobs go. 300% bonus at Christmas and 50p lunches, plus I got to use the cardboard crusher.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I worked in a supermarket whilst still in school.
    My first job after that was playing in a band on the weekends- weddings, parties and such.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    Saturday boy in Cookes guitar shop in Norwich, followed by a brief stint as a potwasher in a pub. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires