First Jobs

What's Hot

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited January 2019
    I had two part time jobs as soon as I turned 16, while I did my A Levels.

Saturdays in the Sony Centre which was great as it paid commission on top of hourly wage, and Sundays in Debenhams.

First full time job was office admin in a law firm, which I very quickly got bored of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23955
    Assembling dashboards that would later end up in Lotus Elans.

It was surprisingly good fun - even though it was many years before min wage so the pay was £3 per hour from 6am to 2pm, then time and a half from 2pm to 6pm.

Time and a half on Saturday and double time on Sunday if you had worked the Saturday.

I did 6 weeks without a day off so I could buy a Gibson Explorer.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Aged about 16, I worked in the kitchen of a weird restaurant selling Swedish-style open sandwiches. Long, long, boiling hot shifts consisting mostly of food prep and washing up. It made my clothes pong terribly.

I worked for six weeks and blew most of it on a Viking 10-speed with double-butted Reynolds 531. 
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    So many... formative years were spent in the arse-end of nowhere (East Anglia), so there was loads of casual employment - drove an antique tractor around a nursery when I was ~16 or so, worked in an apple packing factory - did rose patching (if you don't know, it's the worse, most painful job ever...), strawberry picking.  Squeegeed blood off the floor in a meat processing factory.

No minimum wage back in the late 1980's,  rates would either be piecework, or £1 an hour or something.

When I was at college I graduated to collecting shopping trolleys at Safeway.

I've a pretty good job now, but at the back of my head there's always the voice that says "this could end at any time, and you'll be back on the land..."  I think that keeps me grounded and stops me being all "city-like".
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • I worked at John Menzies while at school. Crap wages, but quite fun & free access to jazz mags- nice. 

I moved from there to Lifeguard work- which was great. Good wages, free gym membership & totally laid back atmosphere. I miss that job. 
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    A Computer Shop (where i previously did my work experience) Worked the entire of my summer holidays after doing my GCSEs and then continued on saturdays and during school holidays.

I learnt an awful lot there and really enjoyed it. I saved enough money to buy a Fender  Telecaster and a Marshall VS100 amp.

Very happy days.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1742
    LuttiS said:
    p90fool said:
    On the end of a machine, packing 500 envelopes in a box every 40 seconds, for 12 hours with no break. 

I had to go like crazy for five minutes or so to get enough seconds ahead to be able to light a cigarette or bite a sandwich. 
    That was one of my summer jobs... except i got a 5 min break every 4 hrs or something like that.. tough stuff! :)
    And pay mill owner for the privilege of going to work.
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    Delivering free papers when I was 13 (1994). I got paid £0.01 per paper and had to deliver 1000 with 2 days to get it done by. I don’t think I’ve had a job as hard since. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Local, 6 man decorating firm. Owner took the piss, big time, regarding pay. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2419
    During my last couple of years of school before going off to polytechnic I had a p/t job building cabin cruisers at weekends, holidays and occasional evenings. They were great guys working at the marina and we had plenty of laughs.

The upside was learning a lot about boatbuilding but the not so good side was using electric sanders on fibreglass hulls with no PPE provided back then :(

I can't remember what the pay was but it bought me some very nice  things.
  • furtherfurther Frets: 88
    1965 first job was in a clothes shop,£3.18/10 ,didn't last long.
  • First summer I worked I had 3 jobs, worked at Electornic Boutique on sat, 3 evening doing data entry for hsbc in the week and 4 early mornign shifts at the granary motorway services..this was when i was 17
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I did a paper round as a kid, probably the best job I ever had! The money was crap, but I got to wander around on my own, early in the morning. I never cared how bad the weather was, I just really enjoyed it.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Working as a general dogsbody in a restaurant kitchen for £3/hr doing anything up to 18 hour shifts.

Worst job I've ever had by far. Best thing about it is that everything else I've ever done has seemed easy by comparison.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    Working in a mechanics. Started off sweeping floors, ended up able to change the clutch on a tractor.

Also did some sheep farming in my time.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    During my A levels I did Saturday afternoons cleaning the butchers shop, fridge and back of shop for £1.75 / hour.
    it was not worth it, you could never get them smell out no matter how long you spent in the bath before you went out in the evening 
  • Waitrose part timer in the freezers when I was at school, then while at uni I worked in a Next clothes shop as a temp. That was tougher than expected, hot, sweaty, mad shoppers and really tiring while also being unrewarding. Shelf stacking was busy, but also quite soothing. Quite enjoyed it, in a way. 

Bit of bar work, then healthcare assistant which was rewarding and honestly makes other jobs feel easy, even when the going gets really tough. That was unbelievably stressful, and I still sometimes feel quite broken and re-run scenarios through my head.

Did some photography and now I'm an administrator in the conservation industry - and doing well, in terms of learning skills and applying skills from university. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    Worked for a summer at the local council’s finance department, doing the crap jobs everybody else didn’t want to do. Worked in a pub during university holidays.

Can’t complain about my first proper job - research in the same physics department as Professor Peter Higgs!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Saturday boy in an ironmongers (think of the two Ronnie four candles sketch). 10 bob a day (50p). 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11812
    Did strawberry and raspberry pickings for a day.  You get paid for amount you pick.  Which as a kid won’t cant do it fast, not worth while, it would’ve been way below minimal wage had i paid by the hours.

Through an agency:-

did 1 day in a factory putting nuts on bolts.

did 1 day checking new plastic container off the moulding machine ready for butter.

first proper job with contract was after my degree as an junior architect.